Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dry spray on shampoo does really work such as Baptiste. Just make sure you brush it out well. Also now there is foaming dry shampoo which probably doesn't leave a residue.

+1 baby wipes. I couldn't shower for 3 weeks after surgery (was allergic to the waterproof dressing) so used baby wipes to clean up when I couldn't do the wet face cloth thing.

I shower before I head out, and ride a moderate pace. Hopefully you don't break much of a sweat, but summertime in Arkansas will often soak you down even if you ride easy.

On arrival, I stop by the cube, fire up the computer, check the overnight e-mail, and basically wait until I stop sweating. Then it's time to change... clean clothes from the skin on outward, and I keep a package of "Clorox disinfecting wipes" for a quick wipedown before getting dressed again.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    For hair: use the bathroom sink to wet your hair. Then dry as usual--keep a hairdryer in your desk if you use one. If you have a very long, hot commute, you can shampoo in the sink, too.

I use a washcloth instead of wipes - I hate throw-away items and the washcloth dries during the day (I hang it in a locker along with my towel and bike clothes.) I use the washcloth on my hair, too, then stick in in a ponytail on my head, folded over wet, while I dress, so it "curls" the ends.
    I can do five more miles.

Thanks for all the replies! Tomorrow is going to be my first commute (24 miles!) since it was raining last week! I like the idea of showering first. I think wet hair will help keep me cool and I will just throw my hair up in a messy bun or pony tail for work. Today I am taking in a change of clothes and some toiletries so I don't have to carry much other than my lunch tomorrow. The afternoons have been hot and muggy so coming home will be the worst part but at least I can just hop in the shower (after hugging my boyfriend while being stinky! Lol!).

It seems to me that those of us who have either really short or really long hair have it easier. I have hip length hair, and have zero problem with styling it quickly when I get to where I'm going. I pack a travel brush and maybe a Ficcare hair clip so I can put it up. I occasionally get odd looks or questions when people see me carrying a helmet, but not dressed or looking like I rode in.

I'm going to say something that could be controversial: I think that wearing natural fibers really helps keep the stinkies away. The only times when I consistently have body odor problems after my commute is when I wear a synthetic shirt. Loose, light, cotton or linen shirts (usually sleeveless) get me through our Texas summers. I'm never stinkier than when I pull out the one (and only) CoolMax shirt that I own (and I'm never buying another one again).

Any stink that I had...and boy did I have some...has completely gone away with the use of crystal deodorant. I'm no health food/no chemical nut---the stuff works is all.

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    I'm going to say something that could be controversial: I think that wearing natural fibers really helps keep the stinkies away. The only times when I consistently have body odor problems after my commute is when I wear a synthetic shirt. Loose, light, cotton or linen shirts (usually sleeveless) get me through our Texas summers. I'm never stinkier than when I pull out the one (and only) CoolMax shirt that I own (and I'm never buying another one again).
    I have consistently found this to be true as well. All the synthetic shirts I've tried claim to have odor control, but I am always way, way stinkier than if I just wear a cotton shirt.
    2010 KHS Flite 220L
    2005 Trek 820

I still stink in cotton. But as long as I wear a wool sports bra I seem to be tolerable in the office.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'm so glad this thread exists! Tomorrow is my first commute since my bf has to take the car to charlotte for two days. Its only 8.6 miles. But its hilly, I have to pass the mall, and get on one of the most dreadfully busy roads in my town.

But at least when I get there ill be able to clean up with all the good advice!

I don't have showers at work either, but my ride to work is mostly down hill - except for the ramp to get up onto the bridge.

I get to work early - not only does it give me more time to get ready for the day but it's a bit cooler, before the sun really gets going.

I wear a bandana under my helmet, it keeps my hair from getting wild.

a good anti-perspirant. I used my google-fu a while ago - and ended up reading back posts on a body builders form. They had the opinion that Certian Dri is the best brand - and I have to agree. Holy, that stuff workes 3X as well as any other I've tried (use as directed; you put it on at night, not when you wake up). I can even skip a day, which is CRAZY because I sweat a lot.

Oh ya, and I wear one piece no-seam spandex, uh, I guess "yoga bra" would be more accurate than "sports bra". They are much more convenient to put in the wash than normal, fancy lace-padded-underwire bras. And they dry overnight easily enough. I get them at mec.
    Last edited by Antaresia; 06-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.

There are no showers where I work either. I keep a bag of cosmetics and baby wipes at work. I also have a little electric fan to help cool me off while I am getting ready in the bathroom. Luckily, we have a stall with a make up mirror and a shelf. I usually wear a headband under my helmet to keep my hair back so it does not get sweaty. Some days my hair cooperates, others it does not. On days it does not, I try not to look in mirrors!!

If you have access to a small locker at work, or somewhere you can lock down some belongings, you can do something similair to what I have set up: Package of baby wipes, extra socks & undies & change of clothes, deoderant, some makeup, body spray, hairbrush & product. Also, Secret Clinical Strength Sport deoderant is my best friend. EVER. You apply it at night before you go to bed, and it seriously is amazing stuff.
    Happily at the center of a poly V with my bikes
    -"Cookie Monster" 2001 Motiv Mountain converted for commuting. My little monster.
    -"Bella" Concord Freedom10- My little project. Sweat and blood, pretty girl <3

Eh, showering / freshening up is overrated. I skip it. And my clothes dry out after an hour or so.

Mm, maybe I can say this because I have a private office far away from other people.

I just got my hair cut very short, pixie. It's great!