Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chamois Butter go bad? Burning upon application

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all,

So a couple weeks ago I was trying out a new saddle, which was just not the right fit. I was also wearing dirty shorts, and had major sores/bleeding/problems down south afterwards. I saw the doctor, she told me I had a UTI and a yeast infection. We treated for both, and everything is normal nowadays.

Except for the fact that Chamois butter now burns like a mo-fo upon application. My tissues still feel a little itchy and strange down there, and some minor sores are still present, but this is like a global vaginal burn.

I'm wondering if perhaps I've developed an allergy to it or it's gone bad? It is like a two-year-old tube, but I heard the stuff never went bad.

Anyone heard about this sort of thing?

Thanks so much!

No, although once I unknowingly got some chamois butter with MENTHOL
    I discovered soon enough after application. Doesn't sound like that is your problem, though, since you have used it before. Probably your skin is still irritated.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Is it possible that your skin was just thin and tender post-infections? I know for me, a yeast infection turns all of my skin in to crepe paper. Very delicate.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

try some a+d ointment before the chamois butter. A+D is one thing that usally works for me post yeast infection to let my skin heal properly.
    Raleigh Alysa
    Trek 5000 WSD

sounds like you're not healed yet. Chamois butter burns me when I'm already sore sometimes
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Yeah, my skin gets really fragile. I was in your position a couple of weeks ago. I have been doing some phys therapy for levator system and had treated a yeast infection already once but nothing had changed.

The urologist took a sample of urine because my skin was so thin and irritated and she found that I had a UTI now and a yeast infection. I don't really feel when I have a UTI most times, so it didn't surprise me since I get them frequently enough. She put me on diflucan this time and a few days later I was good.

I was using udder budder and that usually doesn't irritate me, but I was in SO MUCH PAIN. I would call your doctor to get some diflucan if they have just told you to get some monistat and if you only did one course, they can send you a second. Otherwise, you just may be really sensitive.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I switched from chamois butter to using plain ol' Vaseline petroleum jelly because of the burning I would experience sometimes. I use a teenie dab on the sit bones and it stays much better and doesn't wear off like the chamois butter. And as an added bonus, it makes my chamois softer.