Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I run more than I bike, or at least I have until recently, but I rarely feel compelled to post here. But I recently ran my first race in about a year (trailish 10k) and it was great. Muddy and crowded, but great. However...I need to learn to smile for the camera. If you guys want to see some terrible, terrible faces, check out the official race photos here: http://www2.brightroom.com/79409/3130

Just something else to work on if I do sign up for a fall marathon. I can't order pictures that look like those!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

The mulberries are starting to ripen, so I'm constantly in foraging mode, looking for free fruit. Even while racing... At today's 5k, there were several trees by the start line, but not much ripe fruit yet. Still, I had a few berries while waiting for the start. First 2 miles of the race didn't go through any scrubby areas, but the last mile hit the jackpot. Lots of scrubby areas, lots of trees, some of them looking like they had some ripe fruit. Not that I got a great look as I was trying to keep up my pace, tho. Ended up finishing the race in 24:20, my second fastest 5k. No age group awards, tho, so I don't know how I placed. But it was a beautiful morning for a race!

Now it's time to hop on the bike and go foraging!

I've signed up for the Rock-N-Roll St. Louis in October and started half-marathon training yesterday. Yes, I know it's early but I need something to make me run past 3 miles. Besides, that will give me time to spare in case of injury () or illness.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Did 5 miles on the bridge, my version of hill repeats. Up 5 times. It is summer in Florida. I have 2 1/2 months of training in this heat. My thought has been the heat & humidity will make me tough, since I can't train at altitude. Not sure if it will work, but it is making my runs very tough! This weekend is 14 miles. Since I normally do half marathons, and have only trained for one marathon, I am facing challenging distances.
    K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    I've signed up for the Rock-N-Roll St. Louis in October and started half-marathon training yesterday. Yes, I know it's early but I need something to make me run past 3 miles. Besides, that will give me time to spare in case of injury () or illness.
    Cool! I want to hear how you like this one. I have a friend in St. Louis and signing up for a marathon there would be a great excuse to visit

Since my plans to run the Chicago marathon were squashed by a friends wedding plans, I've been looking for a replacement. I've really restricted my options because of a bike race I'm doing the first week of November. I finally decided on \/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Old Boy's Oktoberfest Marathon!

I've done their 1/2 Marathon twice. It's a nice course and finishers get a medal and a beer mug! And I'm setting the bar really, really high on this one. I'm officially unveiling my goal. Please cue the drums again!
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    A finish time of 3:45!!!!! That's about a 8:34/mile pace. About the same pace as I did for my 25k recently.

Now I'm a little scared!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

You'll be great!

I was about to sign up for a half marathon in 3 weeks or so, and then I tried to run yesterday and had to hobble home after 2 blocks. My IT band is throwing a fit. I can't even walk down stairs. And seeing as how I felt great after my last run, this is really not cool. Hoping it goes away as quickly and soundlessly as it came...

(I am hoping I tweaked it somehow when I was pulling carpet/moving furniture/sanding floors/painting over the weekend)

Lime, I'm excited for your marathon! Nothing like putting your goal out there to give you a little motivation.

I ran a half marathon last weekend, not my best, 2:05... but last year (when I ran a 1:56) was basically optimal conditions. A pretty good picture: http://images.partypics.com/events/2...00103/0002.jpg (I love how everyone appears to be running death around me, this is mile 12) - and the rest of the pictures under bib 2567 (I guess they don't want to make it easy for you to find their pictures) http://orders.racephotonetwork.com/Q...EventID=963513

After that, I biked for a couple hours, and the next day biked for another few hours. It's officially June, the final countdown. I have a super hugungous load at work right now so this Ironman is not going to be easy, but they never are.
    Last edited by colby; 06-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.

You're flying! I'd be dragging my feet by then, for sure Great pic!

Just signed up for our 4th of July 10k. Somehow, it's the local race I care the most about. It'll be my third time, and there's an longshot goal in my mind: a 7:47/mile pace, for a total time of 48:21. It's possible, but it won't be easy. Why that random time? Well, 2009 it was my first ever race of any distance, and my pace was 9:47/mile; 2010 dropped it down to 8:47/mile. The more realistic goal is to go under 50 minutes....

Today was supposed to be an easy, slow run, but there were a couple others circling the park, and I kept on speeding up to catch them and pass them. Ended up being not so slow. Cool thing-- I've now logged 502 miles in my VFFs, and they're holding up great!

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Just signed up for our 4th of July 10k. Somehow, it's the local race I care the most about. It'll be my third time, and there's an longshot goal in my mind: a 7:47/mile pace, for a total time of 48:21. It's possible, but it won't be easy. Why that random time? Well, 2009 it was my first ever race of any distance, and my pace was 9:47/mile; 2010 dropped it down to 8:47/mile. The more realistic goal is to go under 50 minutes....
    Good luck! You sure are speedy!

I ran yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks. I can ride a bike in heat and humidity no problem. Running is proving to be a very different story. Yesterday wasn't even terribly hot (78 degrees I think), but it was humid. I just couldn't get my breathing under control. I did intervals, because that's about all I could handle. Does this get better with acclimation or is it just me?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It has been something like a year since I posted on this thread but my body decided to change on me without my approval (thyroid). So I have had to readjust. So it has taken about a year to do that.

The good news is that I am still exercising (sp?). Instead of running on the track for fun, I have since moved to the trails for their peace and quiet and good exercise that they give. I have been doing a local trail that is near me. So far I have been doing an out and back situation with treking poles and a hydration pack with all of the goodies. Living in the Desert, I don't leave my house without water and electrolytes. Anyway, my range is 4.5 miles and this morning I did a PB. I knocked off like two minutes off all of my times (thanks Garmin ). It helped that I had come across someone and she ran ahead of me and we were taking. She was the carrot and I walked very fast to keep up with her.

May 16 data: Avg pace: 16:38; current lap: 1:14:41;best pace: 14:16.
    June 4 data: avg pace: 16:09; current lap: 1:13:35; best pace: 13:17.

Ok, I am wrong on my time, I am about 1.5 minutes faster. Still that's not too shabby. I also noticed that I hit the 30 minute mark at 1.85 of a mile. My goal is to be at two miles by a half an hour, so i'm getting close.

Thank you for inspiring me through all of your ups and downs both physical and mental. I am in medical nomans land right now. So no meds or anything, just deal with it until things change. I'm just glad I'm out there doing something and enjoying it.

Thank you TE Sisters!

Red Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Ambikes View Post
    Thanks for the advice/support colby and Oak! (And impressive workouts this weekend colby.) I am glad to hear that I'm not alone in my achy taper. I was expecting to feel better since I'm running less mileage...not so much. The biggest issue has been the IT band, which I've been rolling and stretching at least 3x/day. I've also been keeping active with some easy running and biking. It was a beautiful weekend to spend time outside here I wish the weather forecast for Calgary next weekend was a nice
    Resurrecting this old thread for an update.

Well, the weather for the Calgary marathon was beautiful. I wore my Garmin watch so that I could pace myself right from the beginning. I was taking in both Gatorade and Gu gels like a champ. I FELT GREAT. Right up until the one big downhill on the course at about 31k. That one hill lasted about 2k and my quads were trashed by the time I got to the bottom of it. The last 9k were the most difficult I have ever run both mentally and physically.

But I finished. I still even met my goal time, although I will admit that my goal was pretty darn slow (5 hours). My SO was waiting at the finish line for me with flowers. It was a good day, although I'm not sure whether I want to do it ever again.

I haven't really run since, other than a couple of recovery runs right after the marathon and a soccer league I played in over the summer. For the first 6 weeks or so, my IT band/knee were giving me some issues. After that, I had some stuff going on in my personal life that just got in the way.

I'm back now, and I have a 10k race planned for September 24 (it was originally supposed to be a half, but I decided that I didn't have it in me to train for the half properly).
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly