Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I don't think we will find the dog
    Perhaps you need to drive to that neighborhood and go door to door. With a dog like that, someone else has been bothered by it and might have a clue about where it lives.

The police officer probably just drove through and doesn't have enough time to fully canvas the area.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    Perhaps you need to drive to that neighborhood and go door to door. With a dog like that, someone else has been bothered by it and might have a clue about where it lives.

The police officer probably just drove through and doesn't have enough time to fully canvas the area.
    Keep mace & a club handy if you decide to do this. Chances are the dog is still out & about.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

As far as the pain meds are concerned, I have a fresh growler of some fantastic Porter from a local microbrewery and I intend on drinking some of it today...!
    Woohoo! I love how optimistic you are about this whole thing!

Hope you feel better soon. Don't scare yourself reading about rabies, it's bad, reading horror stories on the interweb won't help. Just take care of it, get the shots if you have to.

Enjoy the porter, tho, that sounds delicious!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Sorry to hear about this.

How about plastering the neighborhood with flyers? Maybe other people in that neighborhood who have had a confrontation with the dog will come forward and id the owner.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

These are all good ideas! I have had too much Porter to implement them this evening however It actually doesn't take much for me to not drive - about 1.5 glasses of beer is enough. VERY good Porter though!

I intend on being at the door of my doctor's office tomorrow morning when they open to set an appointment. It is a very small office and it takes them quite some time to have a free line, so this is quicker than calling - though I will still call and leave a message.

Depending on what he and the health department think, I may well start canvassing the neighborhood tomorrow and take one more day off work I doubt they will argue with me about this.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience with the unruly dog and irresponsible owner. What great presence of mind you had under the circumstances. That is impressive. I hope you will have a speedy recovery.

Depending on what he and the health department think, I may well start canvassing the neighborhood tomorrow and take one more day off work I doubt they will argue with me about this.
    That sounds like a good idea. Flyers are an intriguing suggestion, too. If the dog is that bad someone must know about him/her.

Good luck!

WOW!!! Catrin, you are AWESOME!!! I think you did exactly the right thing in continuing to ride. Stopping for a dog that is already biting you does not sound like a good idea. (For a dog that is not yet chewing on you, the bike-between-you-and-the-dog thing .. sure, I can see that.)

And wow, great riding under really bad circumstances!!! I am very impressed!!

(No one, but no one, messes with Catrin on her bike!! Heh... maybe we need shirts with that on it!!)

I hope you heal quickly and find the dog, too. And I hope the owners are fined. They should be paying your medical bills, too; their homeowner's insurance may cover it, but even if not, they are responsible.

...on gravel with a pit chewin' on you... very very impressive! But no repeats, please!

Catrin I am really glad you are okay after that. It was good to see you out and about and taking things in stride. I'm with everyone else on this, you are an amazing rider to be able to ride 'with dog attached' Take care of yourself girl and hope to see you when I get back

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Catrin I am really glad you are okay after that. It was good to see you out and about and taking things in stride. I'm with everyone else on this, you are an amazing rider to be able to ride 'with dog attached' Take care of yourself girl and hope to see you when I get back
    Awwww shucks, it was just a new take on "resistance training"

Seriously, it was good to see you yesterday after all of that! I really enjoyed the microbrewery as well, though I probably shouldn't have brought the growler home.... Great Porter though! Thankfully I CAN have beer with the antibiotics they gave me, I asked the pharmacist!

Holy moly.

What an amazing story. We should have a sticky thread with dog attack and crash stories. This is an amazing story!

I hope your wounds heal quickly and that they do find that dog and owner and force that person to take some responsibility.

I wonder if you could change your screen name to Catrin the Brave.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Oh, the irony

This week is National Dog Bike Prevention Week. How timely!

http://www.avma.org/public_health/dogbite/

Catrin, I hope your doc was able to guide you in the right direction regarding the rabies vaccine. Otherwise, I'd suggest contacting the State Health Department or the CDC.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My doctor recommended against the shots, and that ER doctor didn't think they were necessary either since it wasn't a stray. The wounds are already closed and are looking pretty good, all things considered. I am surprised there isn't any bruising, and indeed there wasn't much bleeding - which was quite a surprise to me given the size and number of wounds. My doctor did check with others on this, so I am pretty comfortable with the decision. Perhaps it is just being thankful that I won't have to endure the shots....

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    This week is National Dog Bike Prevention Week. How timely!
    Why would anyone would want to prevent dogs from biking? I thought we supported all types of cyclists here?!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Why would anyone would want to prevent dogs from biking? I thought we supported all types of cyclists here?!
    What a funny typo. I meant "bite" of course!!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher