Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I learned that right before this happened, this same dog went after another dog that someone else was walking on a leash and apparently the owner of the pit bull mix did nothing to try and stop it.
    This dog already attacked earlier in the day & the owner didn't get it under control!!!??? The dog should be educated & the owner put down.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Yikes, Catrin. Glad you got away with only bites and not something worse.

Sorry, it ruined your good ride too.

I'm with the others here; if they don't find the dog, you should probably do the vaccine

I will call my doctor Monday about this. I just did some searching for info on modern vaccine and at least it isn't injected in the stomach these days. I read about it a little more, on what rabies does to humans...

Catrin! Hope you get to feeling better.

And I hope the local police officer finds the dog. The owner needs some re-education.
    Beth

Catrin, So sorry that this happened to you. I agree with the others about getting vaccinated if you can't find the dog. If you were in a rural area, no telling what the dog has been in contact with. Much better safe than wondering. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

My father-in-law said it was not the stomach injections anymore, that is good he was right. My friend Johnny had them before vet school and it is the only time I have seen a human look green, plus he bruised bad. Sorry your maiden voyage went south, sounds like it was going great before that!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I found myself leery about stopping in the actual gravel - when I did stop I found clear dirt in which to stop. I wasn't especially good about holding my line, but the depth of the gravel varied greatly.

There was a VERY steep paved hill with sharp curves that climbed out of the little valley to the street above. Not only did my mountain goat climb it, I barely shifted the small gears and not the front at all - and my quads were NOT burning! My other bikes would probably be unable to make that climb in any gear!

I will need to find some other place to ride though...it was just a place to start breaking her in...

Catrin, you are amazing!! I am proud of you for getting away from that dog. I hope you are not seriously injured and I REALLY hope that animal is PTS...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Catrin, you are amazing!! I am proud of you for getting away from that dog. I hope you are not seriously injured and I REALLY hope that animal is PTS...
    Thank you, and everyone, for your kind words. I understand I should have stopped and put my bike between me and the dog, but I am actually glad I didn't think about that. Considering it was my first time on gravel I think I would have probably fallen.

It doesn't feel too bad today, while I did pick up the pain pills they prescribed am trying not to take them. I hate taking narcotics, they make me feel terrible.

I think this is also a reminder to get a first aid kit in my Camelbak, for anything can happen!

Geez, Catrin, I'm away for a few hours and I read this!
    Good job on the mtb handling skills. I would have fallen on my azz.
    Scary stuff with the dog. Get the rabies thing straightened out with your own doctor.
    I detest owners who do not leash their dogs. I have had enough trouble with people in my neighborhood who don't leash their dogs while walking, when I have been riding 20+mph down my hill. I can't imagine being on a gravel trail.
    Keep us posted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh my word, how brave were you? And how irresponsible was that dog-owner? I wish you a full and fast recovery. If it was me I'd be taking the pain-killers, could you maybe take something of a lower strength if you'd prefer not to take the prescribed ones?

Pit bulls come under the Dangerous Dogs Act here, which means they have to be kept muzzled and on a lead when in public. I honestly hope that they will track down the owner, as the next time the dog attacks the person may not have the benefit of a bike and clear presence of mind to get away.

I'm so sorry that it had to happen on your first gravel ride, and so sorry that it had to happen at all.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Wow, I just read your first post on this and it's so matter-of-fact, and starting with the happy part (how well your bike climbs), I almost couldn't believe what came next!!

It's really maddening that this irresponsible person has totally ruined your ride. I hope you heal well (I also encourage you to get the rabies vaccine, sadly...) and that your next million rides on the mountain goat are great!

Wow, So scary!!! Get better soon and I hope they find the dog and the owner and that the owner has some consequences for allowing that to occur.

I don't think we will find the dog and I will contact my dr first thing tomorrow morning. As far as the pain meds are concerned, I have a fresh growler of some fantastic Porter from a local microbrewery and I intend on drinking some of it today - narcotics and beer doesn't mix soooooooooooo the pain isn't getting worse though, and is probably less than they expected. Then again, I AM the woman who ignored a pulled hamstring for a solid month!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    This dog already attacked earlier in the day & the owner didn't get it under control!!!??? The dog should be educated & the owner put down.
    Good one!

Take care Catrin!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.