Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I weird?

Am I weird?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just finished a really good book and tears were streaming down face through the last part. It was fiction! I rarely do this. Like maybe once before. Does anyone else cry over books? Or am I just strange?

You are not weird.... I cry while reading books too. I guess we just really get into the story.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I've cried over many a book. Fairly recently, I broke down into sobs while finishing a book called The Elegance of the Hedgehog on a very crowded plane. And don't even get me started about the end of Atonement or the Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay. Both made me bawl. There are many others, but those are a few that come to mind.

A good writer can perfectly distill the best and worst of the human experience into a mere book or story. It's no wonder, then, that they touch us like they sometimes do.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

If I need a good cry but can't get it going, I just reach for The Little Prince.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

No, not weird I have done the same. Books that touch me most go to the essence of the human tragedy. When the author is very good they bring the characters to life and make you love them or hate them and sometimes both at various times. That is because the author is able to humanize them, a rare talent when you consider the medium being words on a page. It's more than that though, it paints a moving picture because the author has managed to make a connection/relationship between the reader and the character.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Totally not weird, well for that reason anyway

Some of my co-workers were really into Jodi Picoult for awhile, so I read a couple of them. I found them so emotionally draining that I had to stop reading them. I guess I learned that I'm extremely empathetic!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    at least you were alone.
    I read Bill Wallace books to my students every year in Library and at the end of almost every book I cry (most of the time the dog dies or something tragic). His books are GREAT children's books to read aloud, but I cry almost every time. Then the kids will say "oh are you OK, Mrs. B?" through their own tears.
    I love a good book that makes me get emotionally tied to the storyline/characters.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Well that is good to know! Thanks everyone. It was "the Book Thief" and I almost didn't read it because the start of it seemed strange. But after I got used to the way the story was told I really enjoyed it. Here is the best quote I read about this book:
    "What a strange way of telling such a story! Death is like a dear old grandmother telling a lovely story, but the story isn't lovely but awful. There are some beautiful people in the story, but a lot of horrible things are going on. All these awful things are told in a way that it makes them light and bearable and beautiful. The style did bother me every now and then, but on the other hand it made me go on and on in a book that I probably otherwise wouldn't have want to finish (I normally don't like books about WWII or war in general). Halfway through the book I suddenly realized that this for me was the first book I read about WWII written from the perspective of 'ordinary' germans, living in Nazi Germany. It makes you realize once more that it is not all black and white... there are lot of good people who just don't know how to stop evil things from happening.

I did love Liesel, Rudy, Max and Rosa... and not to be forgotten Ilsa... but I really, really love Hans.... "

Awesome! The Book Thief is already in my to-read pile. Now I'm really looking forward to reading it. I like having a good cry.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Oh absolutely! I cry reading books, watching TV, watching movies, watching Youtube videos...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've been known to tear up over TV commercials... and you're worried about crying over a good novel? I think you're doing fine.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Yes, you are not alone.

I haven't read fiction in a while. But, last couple books I loved I was sad when I finished them. I missed my people in the books! It was like losing a friend. Dhrrrrrr lol.

One reason I don't watch tv is sometimes I can't. Gheez, my kids had on Animal Planet once... the baby monkey died... and the mom monkey was carrying around the dead baby in mourning... drama even on Animal Planet... sat on the couch and bawled my eyes out... uh, that was enough tv for the year for me lol.

Even this non fiction book I just finished I miss the author. I really loved his style. And now I'm done, no more. At least he does have a blog though lol.

The Book Thief, is my FAVORITE book. I made my daughter promise she would read it one day.... I first read it on my Kindle. Afterwards, I decided that I just had to purchase the hardback to feel like I always had the treasure in hand.

Wonderful, wonderful story.
    "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart...Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." Carl Jung

Quote Originally Posted by CycleTherapy View Post
    The Book Thief, is my FAVORITE book. I made my daughter promise she would read it one day.... I first read it on my Kindle. Afterwards, I decided that I just had to purchase the hardback to feel like I always had the treasure in hand.

Wonderful, wonderful story.
    Gosh, that book has been on my "to be read" list for some time. I may have to move it up in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    I've been known to tear up over TV commercials... and you're worried about crying over a good novel? I think you're doing fine.
    Oy - the Christmas one with the business woman in the taxi cab? Sniffling just thinking about it.

And don't get me started on "Marley & Me." Had to stop reading it on a plane because I was sobbing too much.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.