Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flat-bar road bikes...?

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I have both noticed the popularity of flat-bar road bikes and have never understood why anyone would choose flat-bar over dropped-bar on the same frame. My brother and his GF both have very nice road bikes...but they are flat-bar'd. Why do people opt to limit themselves to one hand position when they could have endless places to put their hands to minimize discomforts? Is there some practical reason that we're unaware of?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    DH and I have both noticed the popularity of flat-bar road bikes and have never understood why anyone would choose flat-bar over dropped-bar on the same frame. My brother and his GF both have very nice road bikes...but they are flat-bar'd. Why do people opt to limit themselves to one hand position when they could have endless places to put their hands to minimize discomforts? Is there some practical reason that we're unaware of?
    For me, road bars put my hands in a very painful position - I've arthritis in the palms of my hands. As you know, I do try to ride a gazillion miles - and my Ergon grips with bar-ends allow me to do just that - with no pain at all. I do have several hand positions if I choose to use them, but rarely ever need to do so.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Is there some practical reason that we're unaware of?
    For the upright riding posture and hands-on-the-brakes control of slow riding in city traffic when commuting. The light frame and tighter geometry is quicker handling (and lighter) than a hybrid. Bar ends easily allow for multiple hand positions (and a convenient place to mount a bell!). And it's still fast and comfortable for long road sections...
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

If the rider is in a position where there isn't much weight on the upper body then her or his hands and arms won't get tired or need to change position.

I believe many people associate drop bars with a more agressive position and flat bars with a more upright position even though this is only a matter of adjustment.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I believe many people associate drop bars with a more agressive position and flat bars with a more upright position even though this is only a matter of adjustment.
    That's what I suspected. I've seen a few road bikes with drop bars that are VERY upright with a very angled stem.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I like my Jamis Coda alot. I rode it exclusively after my 1983 Vitus road bike was trashed in a crash in 2003. I got a new road bike in 2005 and now ride the Coda around town. I recently was on a week-long organized ride and lots of people were riding flat bar road bikes. Whatever works--they are on a bike and that's really all that matters.

My Trek FX 7.3 with flat bars puts me in the same position as my Surly Cross Check, which has drop bars, HOWEVER they did not cut the fork, so my handlebars are way up high.
    Not sure why folks do it. Maybe some perceived difference or comfort thing.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I have seen both, as well. More than anything I am inclined to believe it is 1) personal preference; and 2) necessitated by a physical need.

I am the opposite in that my SUB started out life as a flat bar MTB. For commuting and such the twist my forearms/wrists needed, even with bar ends left my wrists achy and sore, plus I could not move the controls inward enough so the angle of shoulder to wrist was too much for my neck.

I am happily riding that bike with 40cm drop bars with the tops just slightly higher than the nose of my saddle. This is a good, comfortable position for me. No wrist pain/discomfort, no shoulder/neck issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Some very good reasons have been mentioned. If someone chooses flat bars after trying both, great. On the other hand I know people who just automatically assume drop bars are uncomfortable based on their childhood experience 10, 20, 30 years ago or on seeing racers and thinking their riding position looked like a lot of work. They have decided they'll never use drop bars, which is too bad since they might like them if they gave them a try. I know I was skeptical when I started looking at road bikes two years ago, but the drop bars on my Ruby are angled so that I have a good view of the road when on the hoods and are very comfortable. I love being able to change positions on longer rides. I also ride a commuter bike with flat bars and like that just fine around town. Whatever works, just hope folks choose based on test rides not assumptions!

As of today I can comment on this thread, I am away at a conference and rented a bike for an early morning ride before the sessions got started. Thanks to the LGRAB Summer Contest I was motivated to try out another style of bike. I rode a flat bar road bike today. Woo hoo!

I can understand the allure of riding a road bike after my ride today. Not quite my style yet, perhaps some day in the future They are agile and fast and it seemed like it could roll forever.

I had a drop bar 10 speed bike as a teen and young adult and honestly can't remember it being uncomfortable but I do like a more upright position now for many reasons mentioned here, namely arthritis and wrist pain. Perhaps another test ride some day will be with drop bars to see the difference. In the mean time, the answer to the question of why someone would use a flat bar sounds like it's twofold. Physical reasons and perceptions.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBiker View Post
    Some very good reasons have been mentioned. If someone chooses flat bars after trying both, great. On the other hand I know people who just automatically assume drop bars are uncomfortable based on their childhood experience 10, 20, 30 years ago or on seeing racers and thinking their riding position looked like a lot of work. They have decided they'll never use drop bars, which is too bad since they might like them if they gave them a try. I know I was skeptical when I started looking at road bikes two years ago, but the drop bars on my Ruby are angled so that I have a good view of the road when on the hoods and are very comfortable. I love being able to change positions on longer rides. I also ride a commuter bike with flat bars and like that just fine around town. Whatever works, just hope folks choose based on test rides not assumptions!
    I often suspect that the flat bars are based upon often wrongful assumptions, as well. And my experience with flat bars on a mountain bike was painful. I ended up with bar ends to have some variety in hand position, but it was still not comfortable. That factored in heavily for my own disinterest in cycling for years. I love my drop bars and spend almost no time with my hands on the tops...mostly in the hoods or in the drops.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Is it necessarily true that FB's are more upright? I took a look at Trek, Specialized and Jamis's offerings and, based on the elements of geometry I looked at (HT and TT lengths; HTA and STA) and didn't get the impression that the cockpits of the FB bikes were smaller than those of at least some of their road bikes. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right elements of geometry or otherwise left something out of the equation. It just made me wonder if FB and DB bikes are all as different as one might assume.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I am not upright on my Coda. I am just as low as on my Luna. Probably more because the top tube/stem on my Coda is longer than on the Luna. Too long, but I'm too cheap to replace the stem. The Luna is perfect, however. My wrists prefer the Luna, especially for long rides.

Shifting and braking.

To be honest because of my short fingered hands I find shifters hard to use. I can barely get my fingers on the lever to brake. I have extra interupt levers on my drop bars and use them instead. Other people have hand problems will find mountain bike tigger shifters and brake levers are easier for them to use.

Also I never go into the drops so why bother with drop handlebars? I am actually going to put bull horns and remount my shifters to underneath the ends (I have seen this done on another bike). This should solve my issues regarding my finger reach for braking.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Is it necessarily true that FB's are more upright? I took a look at Trek, Specialized and Jamis's offerings and, based on the elements of geometry I looked at (HT and TT lengths; HTA and STA) and didn't get the impression that the cockpits of the FB bikes were smaller than those of at least some of their road bikes. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right elements of geometry or otherwise left something out of the equation. It just made me wonder if FB and DB bikes are all as different as one might assume.
    I suspect if you compare the stack heights and stem angles there will be enough difference to see why the handlebar heights are different. Then there are also those flat bars that also have a bit of up-sweep to them. Part of how I got my SUB drop bars a bit higher was a bit more length where the quill stem is inserted into the head tube and it has a up angle versus the road bike's stem is horizontal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)