Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did errands on my bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, for some of you this may sound silly. But I had to drop the car off at the dealer for an airbag recall. DH politely informed me a new dealer had opened close by and I could just throw the bike on the rack and ride back home. I did! The guys at the dealer didn't understand why I didn't want to borrow a car. I was quizzed on how far away I lived and my bike before I rolled out of the parking lot. It was mostly downhill on the way home and a freak rain shower threatened the ride back. I ended up having to return again this week because they had to order a part. It was only supposed to take a few hours, so again I said I was heading to the coffee shop and I would be back. They stood quizzically at the door as I rolled away a second time. "We have a waiting room. Do you need to borrow a car?"

What a sense of accomplishment. And the leisurely pace compared to my normal workouts left me with bugs in my teeth. (Yes, I forgot to wipe off the bugs and fix my helmet hair when I went back, but I long ago quit caring about such trivial things.)

Get out there and do errands on your bike! I feel a sudden urge to go to the post office.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Awesome...It is a good feeling. I love doing errands on my bike. I plan to do my grocery shopping by bike too. I figure, I'll just get two days worth of food at a time. It's only me and DH so we don't need too much.

Funny how people think you are almost "alien-like" if you choose not to use a car.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I did the exact same thing...except for a tail-light issue...and got the same reaction! They could not figure out WHY on earth I would want to ride the 2 miles to work when they could shuttle me there at no cost

Poor fellows...they were all equally impressed when I showed up quickly after they called to tell me the car was done (little did they know it was all down a steep low-traffic hill to get there!)
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Yay for you!!!! That's not silly at all- it's empowering!!!

Sometimes I feel a little smug when people are so incredulous at such a simple thing (to us, anyway), such as getting on a bike and riding home or doing errands.
    I had to drop the car off to get new tires over Christmas break, and I said I was going to walk home and to call me when it was done. I only live 2 miles away, but they were flabbergasted that I was going to "walk the whole way home." Ummm... OK.

IMO it's kinda sad to me how the car has become SO thoroughly engrained in our lives (like a limb) that we think we can't survive without it, or don't see other options to a car when left without one. Sad we don't see other ways.

So congrats to you for finding that alternate form of transportation, and not having to wait around the smelly shop for hours on end waiting for your car. There's no need for a waiting room when you have two wheels!
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 05-13-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I must admit--it was less than 1 mile to two different coffee shops and 2 miles to the house. I considered walking, but it was humid that day I'd forgotten the art of coasting.

I live in enough of a bikey town that the Subaru Dealer has bikes hanging on the wall to borrow if you want to take them when leaving your car.

I think that is cool

That is cool

Good for you! We ride to do errands all the time. Every Saturday morning is the farmer's market and food co-op, sometimes Trader Joe's and/or the post office too. Recently I had to get my car inspected and had to leave it for an hour, so I just took my bike in the car and did a fun little bike ride while the car was being inspected (it was close to where I live, so I was familiar with the roads). Better than sitting and waiting in a grungy little gas station "reception" area!

My best "errand" ride ever was years ago. I had had to leave my Subaru Forester at the dealer overnight to have work done. My DH drove separately to take me back home. The next day, instead of doing the double driving thing again, I mapped out a route and rode my bike to go pick up my car. It was around 17 miles one way, as I recall, and towards the end, involved some challenging urban riding on busier roads than I like to ride on, but it went just fine, and I felt so empowered doing it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Isn't it great!

I'm to the point where it's unusual for me to take the car to do errands!
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Curious how you guys haul things like groceries? I love the idea of running errands on my bike, but get stumped when I think of things like grocery shopping.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

This Winter I had to have some work done on my car at our favorite shop, about 2 miles away. I already planned to run 3-4 miles, so it was convenient to drop off my car and run home taking an extra long route. The receptionist at the shop (the owner's wife, actually) looked at me like I was nuts, as it was only in the teens and the roads were very snowy, but it was nice. It made me feel a lot less dependent upon my car.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I always do grocery shopping on the bike.
    A backpack can carry lots of stuff.
    I've had 1 gallon of milk + bag o' bagels + head of lettuce + bananas + more in my backpack.
    Only had 1 problem -- one nite someone stole DH's seat off his bike while we were in the store for just a coupla minutes. He rode home with no seat (coupla miles)!
    And a few times I had to sling a bag over my neck to carry extra stuff that wouldn't fit in the backpack.
    And some times I have to stuff a bag up under my jersey (but that's usually a taco bell bag).
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I love to run errands by bike since I got one last year, but it's a no-brainer because the bank, library and small grocery store are within 2 blocks, it almost a 1/2 mile to the post office and work is just a mile away. I live in the downtown of a small town. We also have a lake in our downtown and many friends are within a few blocks to a mile. Small towns can be neat.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

You have just encouraged me to do my errands today by bike. Who knows? Maybe you've inspired a bunch of folks to peddle instead of putting their foot on the gas pedal!

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    Curious how you guys haul things like groceries? I love the idea of running errands on my bike, but get stumped when I think of things like grocery shopping.
    I have a rear rack and panniers. The rack is permanent, and the panniers are easy to take on and off. I bring my panniers into the store with me, so I don't use any plastic bags at all. Best of all, it's fun!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.