Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Any Garmin Edge 800 Users Out There?

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI! I'm looking at the Garmin Edge 800 GPS. There aren't any where I live that I can look at. Anyway, if you have one how do you like it? I've read complaints about screen brightness and poor resolution. Do you find it hard to read? I'm primarily going to use it for the mapping functions on tours and accumulating data. Thanks for your input!

y

Me! I love mine & will never go back to Polar! I found the Polar CS200 unreliable because of the heart rate monitor. If my hr went to high, the computer would pause. NOt so great when you're about 5km to the end of the first stage of a 100km mtb enduro and you've no idea if you have 5km or 7km to go.

It's my first experience with a Garmin type computer & the screen brightness/resolution's fine with me. I love being able to download other folks' trail info etc.

I also like being able to stop at some unknown street in an area I sort of know & find a new way to wherever.

It was worth the $$$ I paid & the Australia/NZ maps are spot on.

Thanks for the reply, Crazycanuck. I'm glad to hear that you find the screen brightness & resolution ok. Besides price, worries about the screen stopped me from buying. I'm mainly a road cyclist, however will use the unit as a hiking aid with the topo maps. Any others out there who use the unit? What do you think?

I got mine a few months ago but just recently started using it...LOVE it! Mine was an upgrade from the 305 which I had a great experience with. I need the gps where I live, we have backroads/fire roads where it is easy to get turned around...it's very comforting to know my garmin can get me back to where I started if I ever took a wrong turn etc. Plus it's just downright fun to use too!

Quote Originally Posted by mauisher View Post
    HI! I'm looking at the Garmin Edge 800 GPS. There aren't any where I live that I can look at. Anyway, if you have one how do you like it? I've read complaints about screen brightness and poor resolution. Do you find it hard to read? I'm primarily going to use it for the mapping functions on tours and accumulating data. Thanks for your input!
    I haven't had any issues with brightness or resolution at all. Sometimes the backlighting won't come on unless you stop or start back up, but it's pretty rare that it's pitch dark and I need to see the display.

I've been a huge fan of the Garmin Edges for many many years. I had a 305 since forever, my boy had a 705, and then I recently upgraded to the 800. The data tracking has been awesome from the 305 on. The mapping capabilities are pretty cool on 705-800, especially if you have a bad route sheet or want to find some cool shortcuts. I haven't tried it with off-road maps, so I can't speak to how it would work for hiking. Battery life is much improved.

Something specific about the 800: The ability to use the touchscreen with gloves is pretty spectacular, however, it's ALSO one of my only complaints. That is, if you throw it into a pocket or bag while on, the screens and settings all get changed.

-- gnat! (Always use a mount, I guess)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Thanks for the replies!! Is it possible to lock the screen so that the touchscreen is disabled? Thanks, again!

Thanks for the replies!! Is it possible to lock the screen so that the touchscreen is disabled? Thanks, again!
    Hah! I just figured it out.

You press the power button briefly (holding it actually turns it off), and at the bottom is a LOCK option.

-- gnat! (That's it, I guess I have no other complaints!)
    Last edited by gnat23; 05-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Any Garmin Edge 800 Users Out There?
    i can only wish!
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Thanks for the replies. I am ordering one through REI .... they are such a great company! I'll let you all know what I think about it later.