Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Congestive Heart Failure

To disable ads, please log-in.

No, not me. Hunter, aka Widget, aka Brat Cat 1.0.

He'd been acting "off" for the past couple of days; not really eating, would just sit in one place and stare off into space, breathing from his abdomen, etc. Today I came home and found him sprawled out in the bathtub, mouth open and rattly breathing. He barely put up a fight going into the cat carrier to go to the vet and barely protested during the car ride.

Vet took some x-rays and showed me just how large of a fluid build up he had around his heart and how it was pressing against his lungs (he pointed out lots of other stuff too but I cannot remember what he said.)

They drew the fluid out (a significant amount but, not all of it according to the vet.) Hunter's on oxygen and still at the vet hospital where he'll stay the night. While not unheard of, my vet noted it's not all that common for a relatively young cat to develop CHF.

We're bummin'. Chloe and Ghost keep searching the house for him.

This is Hunter and Chloe taking over the bed.
    I'm a Dog on a Mission! The human & I are doing Woofstock again this year!

Oh, sad, I hope Hunter gets better soon

So sorry to hear about Hunter. If you can swing it you might talk to your vet about a cardiac ultrasound. It will allow the vet to pinpoint the problem and utilize the appropriate drugs. If it helps any I've had several cats with cardiac issues and all have responded well to treatment. Keep us posted.
    Marcie

I sure hope Makbike is right and that the vets can zero in on an effective treatment. Poor Hunter; give him lots of love from the Crazy Cat (and dog) Ladies of TE.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I am so sorry.

Sending healing thoughts his way and comfort to you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I hope for the best for you and your kitty! My sweet Theo has a heart murmur and I dread the day that he may go in to failure. Luckily we have some really good drugs to help these guys stay comfortable and happy (and eating!) once we can get the fluid off their chests. I also highly recommend echocardiogram if you have a facility nearby that can do it (or maybe your veterinarian can). It's invaluable in looking at the anatomical structure of the heart (x-rays only show us size and general shape) and a very good tool for making sure your kitty gets on the right drugs and you have an accurate prognosis.

T&P for Hunter from me & my kitty in west Texas.

Healing juju for Hunter, and big hugs to you!
    Beth

Good wishes to Hunter and you, too. Drug therapy was great for my dog with CHF; I hope there's an equivalent treatment for kitties.

so sorry to hear that your Hunter's not well. Sending you good thoughts!

Oh poor baby! Sending both of you warm thoughts and energy to heal!
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. Hunter is home tonight. He's still not himself but his breathing is far less labored.

His vet and I discussed having an echocardiogram done but it will have to wait for now. His current bill cost over twice what I had been told it would (and I hate the finances have to be a deciding factor now but they do) so we have to wait. The vet who was covering today commented that they detected a heart murmur and wanted to know if it had been diagnosed before. I don't remember anything being said about it.

Chloe is thrilled that her buddy is home. Ghost is even giving him a break. Will be setting up additional litter boxes (what, you mean they aren't the "must have" home decor item of the season?!)

I wish I had noticed sooner any problems he had been having. Perhaps he wouldn't be enduring this now.

Thanks again, everyone.
    I'm a Dog on a Mission! The human & I are doing Woofstock again this year!

Quote Originally Posted by nancielle View Post
    I wish I had noticed sooner any problems he had been having. Perhaps he wouldn't be enduring this now. .
    Definitely don't think this way and don't blame yourself for what Hunter is going through. Often the first sign a kitty has heart disease is when the go into failure the first time and you notice the labored breathing. Things we assess in dogs - like coughing and exercise intolerance - aren't as "classic" of signs in kitties. Felines just like to be difficult, which is why we adore them.

I am happy that Hunter is home with his family tonight Sending more good thoughts your way!

I just got back on after few days away from the site. I am saddened for both you and Hunter. You've done a lot saving his life when you rescued him.

I know you are doing the right thing and Hunter, I'm sure, is very happy to be home with Chloe, Ghost and you. If I were sick, I would feel much better to be in a familiar surrounding and surrounded by those I love. Hunter feels the same way.

Maybe his heart problem is related to heart worm. Cats can get it too. Have your vet ruled it out?

I'm keeping healing and positive thoughts for both of you.

sincerely,

Poor kitty! I have had a kitty with chf. She was playing and stopped and starte coughing. But not like a hairball cough. It is a tough one for sure. Back when my kitty had it there was only a few things we could do. And she was only 7 we thought she was too young too. But she had a good life up to that point for sure. My heart is with you and your family. I am curious how they treat it now besides the fluid draining and some of the meds we had to give her. She was a hard hard cat to give meds too and thought I was torturing her. That did not help the situation.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!