Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How To Carry Locks-Scary Incident

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a seat bag over the weekend and decided to go on a "lighter" bike ride, which means that I did not have my pannier on my rear rack. My pannier has a special spot for U-Locks, but since I didn't have the pannier I used a bungee and secured my U-lock along with my 4' cable (neatly folded) onto my rear rack. I was at a stop light (I was about to cross a 5 lane busy street), and when the light turned green I peddled into the intersection and suddenly I couldn't pedal and my bike stopped in the intersection. I quickly jumped off, saw my U-lock on the ground, picked it along with my bike up and ran to the sidewalk. I saw that one end of the bungee cord was hanging down and wrapped around my rear sprocket (between all the gears in the back) at least 2 full revolutions and the other end was hooked to the rear rack. Despite getting my hands greasy, I carefully unwound the mess, tossed the bungee (the metal hooked end was totally straight!). I lost my cable lock somewhere along my route. I rode slowly, shifting all my gears from throughout the range to make sure everything was fine. I re-rode my route to see if I could find my cable and I didn't. Oh well. I ended up putting my U-lock in the deep back pocket of my Jersey/Jacket and made it home.
    My bike is scheduled to get new brakes/adjustment this Friday so I'll have them check things on the rear of the bike to make sure it's all fine.
    So, I have to think of a better way to carry my locks. I know Kryptonite has mounting brackets. I now have 2 bottle cages on my bike, so not sure where it would go. If I'm not going to stop on a ride and don't need to lock it, then I don't take the lock, but today I knew I was going somewhere where I'd need a lock.
    Thanks.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Glad you are okay! That is frightening when your bike stops moving (and you don't).

When I ride my Jamis--my commuting and errand bike--I prefer to carry my lock in my panniers. Since it's my errand bike, I'm usually running errands on it and need my panniers for the errands, like mail from the post office, a few groceries, etc.

Occasionally, I'll need to lock up my road bike, which does not have a rack or panniers. In those cases, I bring only my cable lock in a small backpack, and I never let the bike out of my sight even when locked up. I also don't ride long distances with a backpack/cable lock.

That is scary. Did the bungee cord actually fail? I use them, but they scare me.

Wow! Scary. When I carry my Kryptonite U-Lock I simply hang it from the rack. It fits perfectly in between the outer rail and the inner flat part. It's so heavy it would take one BIG bump to come out.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

@PamNY, no the bungee came unhooked I believe and it's end simply got caught and wrapped around the sprocket. I have done this set up before I had the pannier and went over plenty of bumpy patches with no problems. I told my DH about this and his comment was that I didn't have the bungee wrapped "very well". Well no kidding!!!
    Thanks for your suggestions and I will play around with different options. One mechanic at the LBS told me, a few weeks ago, that he could mount a U-Lock just about anywhere!

Wow, in an intersection even! I'm glad you're okay.

For short rides, if you can stand the metal-on-metal noise, hanging your u-lock off the handlebars or between the top tube and downtube usually does the trick with the least fuss. If you have a belt, through the belt works pretty good too.

If you want to try bungees again, I use a bungee made specifically for rear bike racks. Something like this. It seems a little more foolproof to me than just a bungee, and since there are three straps on one hook, a little more versitile and stable on the bumps as well.

Wow, Velocivixen, glad you're okay, that would be scary.

My previous rack had the rails, flat section and the angled portion toward the front of the bike. Occassionally, I use to carry the lock flat on the rack and use those webbing cinch straps, I always felt a little more secure and the lock rattled around less.

Now, with the slimmer rack, and since I'm only doing commuting or errands, if I carry the lock, I'll put it in one of my Ortlieb bags, with the bag flattened out. On rarer occassions, I'll throw it in my messenger bag.

If you have extra money, I've seen a leather u-lock holster that straps to the side of the rear rack - of course, I'd be afraid someone would steal the holster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

@alice, yes, those look interesting. Not finding any local dealers for them, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

@radacrider, yes, I saw those leather holsters at Bike Craft back in December. They're by walnut studio I think. Very top notch for sure.

I think for now I will either hang if off my belt loops or somewhere else on the bike or hang, somehow from the rack.

At first I thought I dropped my chain....I must have looked like a dolt out in the street picking up all my stuff and running...more like hobbling... Oh well. I'm alive.

I personally haven't had a bungee cord fail, nor has my DH, but there are plenty of people in the moto world who shun them because of just the kind of incident you describe. It can be catastrophic and I'm so glad you're okay.

Whatever you use to secure your stuff, three things have to happen: (1) it has to be a QUALITY strap, because cheap ones are much more likely to fail - if it is a bungee, check the hook to make sure it doesn't bend easily, and the strap/hook connection to make sure it's a tight knot; (2) it has to be TIGHT so that vibration doesn't cause the hooks to come unhooked or your stuff to work its way between the straps - if they're elastic, then they have to be the proper length so you reach hook points and keep them very tight; and (3) it has to CROSS your stuff enough times that the load won't shift.

When I use bungees I use at least two. At minimum an X-pattern; depending on what I'm carrying, I might use a figure-8 pattern.

I think with a U-lock, because of the weight, rounded shape, small size and density, you'd have to use so many bungie cords and/or so many wrappings to secure it, that you're better off just getting the dedicated bracket. Either that or putting it inside a pannier or backpack.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

my husband had a 600 dollar repair because of a bungee getting caught up in the drive train...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

@OakLeaf, thanks a lot for the information. I am fairly sure that I didn't wrap tight enough, so it just shifted and came undone. I will definitely consider bungees again, but will keep in mind what you said. I think two will be much better than one for sure.

@Biciclista, what type of repairs specifically, if you don't mind. Was he able to shift the gears prior to knowing about the extent of repairs or ??? I couldn't see anything notable and shifted through all the gears several times and it "felt" fine, but I'll have the LBS give it a thorough inspection when they change/adjust the brakes.

Definitely a lot of good food for thought on this one.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Savra View Post
    When I carry my Kryptonite U-Lock I simply hang it from the rack. It fits perfectly in between the outer rail and the inner flat part. It's so heavy it would take one BIG bump to come out.
    ^^ this.
    I also use a strip of velcro to keep it from wobbling too much.

You could also use something like this.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

my kryptonite lock fits in a bag. i don't think i could stand the rattling
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I had a similar bungee cord incident, only it didn't happen on my bicycle...it happened on my motorcycle! I was on a trip, so I had a piece of motorcycle "luggage" attached to a rack on the rear of my bike with long bungee cords. We had stopped to gas up somewhere, and I must have needed something out of my bag so I had unhooked the bungees. It wasn't until we were back on the road and another rider in our group behind me noticed that BOTH of my bungees were hanging down and dragging along the highway. I thank my lucky stars that those cords did not get tangled up in my rear tire, otherwise that would have been a really ugly situation.

I'm glad the OP wasn't hurt as a result of something like this.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

a similar issue from the saddle pack...along with pictures:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...highlight=hole
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers