Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Barefoot" Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

So who here is doing the barefoot running thing? Any thoughts; shoe model recommendations etc??

barefoot? doesn't that mean no shoes?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I imagine by barefoot running you mean with the Five Finger type shoes. I have a pair but haven't run in them. Only walked. I like them. Very comfortable.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Barefoot is (technically) without shoes, you are right. But for those wanting the "barefoot" experience, more and more running shoe makers are coming up with "barefoot" shoes, just enough coverage to protect your feet from the road I guess. Anyway, because I am reading Chirunning by Danny Dreyer right now, I cross referenced his name with barefoot running and got his opinion on the subject on his blog.

http://www.chirunning.com/community/...refoot-or-not/

I generally run in New Balance MT101s - minimalist trail shoes (?). I've done a few runs in my fivefingers but every time I do I end up with one grain of sand in them that creates a quarter-sized blister. Until I take them off and find the blister the runs are very fun and carefree

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I wear FiveFingers. I tried the Bikila, they are too tight across the top of my feet and for some reason make my toes cramp (too stiff?). I wear KSOs and Flows for running, Sprints for short triathlons where transition time counts more, and Classics for everyday (though often I end up wearing whatever is handy). I have ran probably 1500-2000 miles since last putting on regular running shoes (I don't tally my miles very closely).

I have looked at the new New Balance model (the very new one, can't think of the name, I've seen it in a few Outside or Runner's World magazines now), but they are too tight across the toebox for my wide feet. I'm interested to see the Merrell Trail Glove. I've seen good reviews of the Saucony minimal shoes, too, and apparently they are coming out with more.

More important than the shoe is the technique, you have to ease into it, and learn to run with a midfoot/forefoot strike or it will hurt. The chi running technique definitely fits in well with this. I had a hard time figuring that stuff out until I took off my shoes (and/or wore FiveFingers).

It's not for everyone, but it's done a lot for me.

As many people have pointed out in the other thread, it doesn't matter how minimal the shoe, if it's a shoe, it will affect your body mechanics, and it's not barefoot. That said ...

Has anyone tried the new Inov-8 Evoskins yet? They have much longer toes than VFFs and look like they might actually fit me.

I almost taught my aerobics class in my VFFs last night ... decided against it since it was my first class after several months, I felt really rusty and didn't want to change too much. But even having taught the class with my regular shoes, I'm noticing this morning that my Achilles and calves aren't bothering me as they have in the past, and I totally attribute that to all the foot work I've done over the winter.

From my experience, I'd say that if you have very rigid feet as a result of wearing orthotics for years, it may take more than just easing into barefoot - I've been doing a lot of massage, self myofascial release and yoga, going barefoot around the house more, and paying attention to my feet pretty much ANY time I'm on them, trying to get four corners down and the arches lifted. Just a few weeks ago I've been able to see my TMT joints actually move for the first time I can remember in my 51 years. It's been slow, hard work, and I'm nowhere near being able to run barefoot yet, but it's really, really paying off in terms of my Achilles, hips and spine.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-10-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I'm interested to see the Merrell Trail Glove.
    I wear Pace Gloves and love them.
    Sarah
    2008 Specialized Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post

I have looked at the new New Balance model (the very new one, can't think of the name, I've seen it in a few Outside or Runner's World magazines now), but they are too tight across the toebox for my wide feet. I'm interested to see the Merrell Trail Glove. I've seen good reviews of the Saucony minimal shoes, too, and apparently they are coming out with more.
    Road Runner is having a good sale on the Saucony Kinveras. They are under the endangered shoe list. Apparently, Saucony came out with a new Kinvera so the older ones are on sale for $67. I ordered a pair. I have wide duck feet too and Saucony's always fit me.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Colby, the merrells will probably do much better on you. They are overall way too wide on me, while I love the feel of the new model of those new balances (fit like a glove, which is really rare for me).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Wow, how funny, I tried on the new balance new ones and they seemed to look rather wide too me. Anyway, I am brand new to running so I have yet to develop any technique whatsoever. i plan to start by going barefoot on the beach. I am reading, (as i mentioned) Chirunning, so I hope this helps me develop proper form from the beginning - we'll see, LOL. I'll have to check out those other brands. I have tried the Merrill Pace - very nice!

I love to run barefoot but couldn't find a route where I can do it easily so far. I like to run trails in the wood, and those that I know are sometimes small sharp gravel or covered with leaves so that you can't see the ground. I don't like to go and run on asphalt just to be safe running barefoot.

I bought the Vivo Barefoot Lucys to run in. I like that they have such a wide toe box (because I have duck feet). They are quite sturdy and look nice.
    However for me the feel in any kind of (barefoot) shoes doesn't even come close to really running barefoot, this happy light feeling is just missing.

I think I haven't found the best for me in terms of running shoes. Ordinary running shoes have such a big heel/thick sole and so don't feel safe offroads and often no room for my toes. The Vivo barefoots are ok offroads and fit me nicely but make running really harder on my feet on asphalt (even when watching my technique, but you don't get feedback from your sole like when really running barefoot). I guess a shoe with just a little padding but not too thick sole and no built up heel would be the best for me.
    Last edited by Susan; 05-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I guess a shoe with just a little padding but not too thick sole and no built up heel would be the best for me.
    Saucony Kinvara might be worth a try.

I like to run barefoot (that means NO SHOES... NAKED FEET*) on dirt, but was having trouble finding a shoe that worked well for me on unnatural man-made surfaces. I ran in Chaco sandals for a long time, then got a pair of Kinvaras and I'm very happy with them.

*don't get me started on the "barefoot shoe" B.S. If it's on your feet, you're not barefoot. And the "barefoot" and "minimalist" shoes are not revolutionary, they are simply a return to the shoes we ALL wore 30 years ago. We all had soft heel counters and thinner soles and less heel-forefoot drop back then, and many of us STILL got injured and had sucky running form. Everyone should just wear whatever shoes work for them and try not to join a religion over it. /rant
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-11-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knotted, do you have nice dirt trails where you can actually see the ground or without having to cross fire roads with gravel? Or do you risk stepping onto something that you can't see? I'm asking because I am still fighting with myself if I should just risk stepping onto glass or sth. (and hope it just won't happen) because I really like going barefoot.
    I did some barefoot running on asphalt when I started running, but since I discovered the dirt trails near my home I never wanted to go back to the streets

Something about my feet seems just not to be made for shoes. Maybe because as a child I was going barefoot a lot. My toes don't have space in shoes and I get blisters just about everywhere. But the worst is that I sprain my ankle easily, and it seems to me that the bigger the heel the more often it happens.

Thanks for the shoe tips. Actually the Merrell shoes appeal to me because of the wide toebox and grippy sole.