Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Screaming yellow works

I think I can tell a difference in whether drivers see me when I wear screaming yellow. I can't prove it, and I can't act on it (I still assume I'm invisible).

But I do think I see a difference.

I tend to agree with you. As a driver, I am MUCH more aware of riders in screaming yellow than any other color. I just wish they made more jerseys in bright yellow. I have a light jacket and a vest, but no jersey or tank.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I live in a small town. I ride in combination of highways, rural dirt roads, town traffic. A big mix.
    I almost always wear a generous amount of screaming yellow on my bike.

Several times now I have been in a coffee shop or bakery before or after my ride and some stranger will come up to me and say "I passed you on the road while i was driving, and I just wanted you to know how great it was that I could see you so clearly with that bright color from a whole half mile behind you- I wish all bike riders would wear that color!". this has happened about 4 times over the past 3 years. I know that screaming yellow works. I see it for myself when i'm driving my car too.
    Reflective tape, blinkies and reflectors all can help and are really needed at night, but nothing beats screaming yellow shirt/vest/etc during the daytime.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 -- I notice this so much when I am driving, or even when cycling and seeing other cyclists up ahead or coming in the other direction. I only have one screaming yellow jersey, as seen in my avatar (plus a jacket), but try to wear it especially on gloomy, overcast days or when riding closer to dusk.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I went to the Pearl Izumi outlet store last year and got 2 hi-viz jerseys marked down 75% each, and a hi-viz windbreaker- total $50 for all! I often wear the jerseys on late afternoon rides or when I commute.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I had a motorist pull up next to me and slow down a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was going to harass me, but instead he complimented me on my visibility!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler