Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: My darn race

My darn race

To disable ads, please log-in.

First race of only two on the schedule this year. 20ish miles. 1600 feet of climbing (that's a lot for our neck of the woods).

The Good
    1) Fairly smooth drop-off of the kids to the sitter and managed to get into town before midnight (last race we did, both kids were sick and we had last-minute back to back doctor appointments--it's a long story, but it was awful) and we were able to get a decent night's sleep.

2) We arrived at the race early and had time to pre-ride the first 2 miles.

3) I was eerily calm at the start. All my competitive drive was gone. I was looking forward to just a fun day of riding. No expectations.

4) My competitive drive kicked in at the gun.

5) First big climb came at mile 1--really sandy and maybe only 1-2 good lines up. I was in 3rd place at this point. I saw first and second get off their bikes to walk, I pushed on and managed to stay on the entire climb--moving up to second place--behind a women I know to be very fast. I could not believe I was on her wheel. But, I reminded myself, we were only 1 mile in.

6) Halfway point, leap-frogging places with the first place woman.

7) Passing lots and lots of guys. At one point I was behind a group of men, they asked if there was a hot woman behind them. There sure is! They pulled off the trail and let me pass. So much different than the last race I did where the guys were trying to run me off the trail.

8) Going into the last mile on the tail of the other women, first and second place. Heading into a flat and fast section and feeling the fire in my engine ready to explode with speed and power for that last mile! Seriously, I have never felt that strong in a race before, especially at that point.

The Bad
    1) 1.5 mils into the race there was a bumpy section over some trenches. I felt my saddle snap and fall back. I thought it was the stem, so I stood up for the next 2 miles, afraid to sit. But it was just the back part of the saddle, so I ended up riding 98% of the race with the front of my saddle WAY up and the back way down. NOT COMFORTABLE! And I probably won't be able to sit on a bike again for at least a week.

2) DH put a new front derailleur on my bike the day before. I had a lot of issues shifting. I know this cost me time as I would have to slow down to watch my gears when I shifted.

3) 1.25 miles to the finish, ready to burst with energy, passing some guy . . . and he turns his front wheel into mine. Running me over and falling on top of me.

The Ugly
    4) I hear a loud "Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
    The guy: OMG! Are you alright!
    Me: Is that my tire or yours! (Frantically checking the tires with two bikes and a 225 pound man piled on top of me)
    The Guy: Are you hurt! You're bleeding!
    Me: My tire or yours!!!!!
    The Guy: I think you're hurt!
    Me: Noooooooo! (As I grab my limp, floppy tire) I shove the guy off of me, pick up my bike and start running!

The Uglier
    1) A quarter mile of running and some women pass me. I realize there is no way I can place now.

2) I try and forfeit with .75 mile to go. I load my bike onto an aid-station golf cart and they try to take me to the start.

3) A police officer directing traffic won't let the cart drive down the road.

4) We try calling a shuttle. They can't come. The volunteer aid worker tries calling her husband to pick me up, he doesn't answer his phone.

5) I start crying. The fastest way back to the finish is down the course. And so I start walking.

Coming into the finishing shoot there were lots of fans cheering me on. But I was so disappointed, I kept my head down. I just needed to cross that line. Coming from having, really, the race of my life so far to not being able to see that fulfilled with a strong finish--just broke my heart a little.

I still ended up getting fifth out of 18 women.

The Really Good
    We paid extra for a late check out at our hotel. We had a beautiful view of the lake from the jacuzzi tub in our room. Then we walked around town and DH let me try on all the clothes I wanted to. It was relaxing, refreshing, and peaceful--three things I really needed. We stopped for Root Beer Floats on our way home.

Next mountain bike race: November.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Awesome job Lime. That s*cks about the flat ... but 5th of 18 even with all the delays is completely awesome. You should be proud.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Awesome job

Chin up, my friend! You finished the race. Good for you! You should be proud of your accomplishment. Unfortunately, even when we are having our best days on the bike, sometimes, sh*t happens.

Your result is a testament to how well you were doing. I would look at this as a complete success.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

You ran/walked the last mile & still came in 5th!? You rock!!!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Wonderful job, Limewave. Boy, what a race report. My heart was racing just reading it, so I can only imagine your own rollercoaster of emotions during the race. Way to persevere.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Great race! I was expecting the uglier to be worse! I was afraid you were badly hurt, and posting from the hospital. Glad it turned out better than that.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I was afraid you were badly hurt, and posting from the hospital. Glad it turned out better than that.
    Amen to that.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wow - well done, and what a report! That must have been SO frustrating, but as others have said - that race was a complete success for you. In my book, you won.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Limewave, you are what a racer is made of. Glad you are ok and November...watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I was expecting the uglier to be worse! I was afraid you were badly hurt, and posting from the hospital. Glad it turned out better than that.
    That's true, that would have been much uglier. I was thinking the crying was pretty ugly. As DH said, he would like to see me finish a race and not cry for once.

Thanks for being so supportive everyone!

You know the crazy thing, I totally jinxed myself in the "Tire Pressure" thread. I checked my tire pressure on my front wheel before the race--for the first time ever and subsequently had my first flat. Granted, it was because I was steam-rolled and not from a pinched tube. But still.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

That's crazy...I bet those other women will be fearing you at the next race!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

great ride report. So sorry about the 225 guy......
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi