Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High blood pressure (in athletes)

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH had a health check at our doctor recently. They measured his blood pressure and it was quite high. They said this could have been related to being nervous because of the examination and told him they would measure it again in some weeks and would have to medicate him if it stays as high.

We borrowed a blood pressure monitor to measure his bp at home to see if his high numbers are related to being nervous at the doctor, but he measures at about 150 over 80 quite frequently even at home.

What bothers me is that he is at a normal weight, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and does about one hour of sports daily, more on weekends. He's really an athlete. He should be healthy when I look at his lifestyle. We eat basically the same (my bp measurements are at about 100 over 60), a lot of vegetables, no sugar, mostly organic, real whole food cooked by myself.

The doctors seem not to be used to treating people that really live a healthy lifestyle and most of the tips we got regarding high bp seem to be targeted at unhealthy, not very active people.
    I looked at the "DASH" eating plan that is designed to lower your blood pressure (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...h/new_dash.pdf), but the plan really doesn't offer any improvements over our diet - we already do what this plan suggests and more. I will try to use even less salt (but it's not very appealing to eat food that tastes empty without salt to be honest).

I worry what will happen if DH can't lower his blood pressure. I'm not sure if the medication he will be put on will allow him to ride his bike and do sports as he did before. I'm not sure if there are risks when doing a lot of endurance sports while on bp medication? (And I'm not sure if the doctors will be aware of those risks when I think of the advice DH has gotten so far?)

Until now, I was sure that we do the right things regarding our lifestyle, but now I'm not so sure anymore. The thought that DH may be putting himself at risk while doing sports makes me feel really bad. I'm even asking myself if he puts himself under even more stress by trying to be active.
    And I am at a loss what he could do to avoid bp medication. He said he will stop drinking coffee which he did until now and I will cook without salt as much as possible - but that doesn't seem a lot (especially when I think about the many things that obviously couldn't keep his bp at a normal level).

There are so many women here that lead a healthy active lifestyle and may have a different point of view than doctors that don't seem to be used to treating athletes. Do you have any advice?

I'm in the same boat so I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

I actually think a lot of it has to do with your day-to-day life, not your workout routine. There have been a number of studies lately that show that it's not your "exercise" volume, it's your sitting volume that makes the difference in your health. If he works at a desk job, try a standing desk. For me, I just have to get away from the stupid computer...

Beware of not getting enough salt. That's a chronic issue for me. I hadn't even been trying to cut down and kept bouncing off mild hyponatremia until I started making sure to drink electrolyte drinks instead of plain water. (Once I even wound up in the ER on IV saline.)

ETA - Look at some of the more recent literature about overdiagnosis, too, and make your own decision whether his numbers are something to be concerned about at all. My diastolic is a whole lot higher than his, unfortunately. My acupuncture doctor was most concerned about the tight gap between my numbers, which makes mine much more difficult to treat.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-09-2011 at 03:13 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My DH has high bp, same situation as your DH. It's genetic (he also had 2 stents put in 6 years ago). He takes a very low dose (5-10mg) of a BP medication that is not a beta blocker. It does not affect his riding at all. There are lots of medications for high blood pressure and many have been around for years, so are well tested. You may be thinking of beta blockers, which lower your heart rate and suck for athletic people to take. My DH's cardiologist wanted him on one after his angioplasty, but that lasted about 2 days, since DH's resting HR is already super low. It's more for people like our friend, who had the same surgery as my DH, is still 50+ lbs. overweight and never does any exercise.
    Unfortunately, being athletic does not always protect you from these things.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've been told/read that ACE inhibitors are no good for active people, either, because as soon as you start to sweat, your BP drops to the point of dizziness. And the idea of having to pee any more than I already do, makes diuretics very unattractive...

Thank you for your input.

He really works at a desk job, and as far as I know a sometimes quite stressful job too, but there's not so much he can do about this. Of course he can make an effort to stand up and walk around more often.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Beware of not getting enough salt. That's a chronic issue for me. I hadn't even been trying to cut down and kept bouncing off mild hyponatremia until I started making sure to drink electrolyte drinks instead of plain water. (Once I even wound up in the ER on IV saline.)
    Thank you for pointing this out. From what I've read so far, it seemed to me that less salt is always better. The mentioned DASH plan recommends about 2/3 teaspoon of salt per day, which seems not much if you want to prepare 4 meals and take into account that some foods like bread already contain salt (but maybe I'm overestimating the amount of salt I normally use, I will have to watch it more closely).
    We also drink plain water only.

Nice to hear that taking medication doesn't affect your DHs ability to ride, Crankin. I will tell DH that he may have to make it clear how much exercise he does, so that the doctor can prescribe the right medication for him.
    My mum is on beta blockers and does not do very well on them, it's one of the reasons that I am concerned about DH taking bp-meds.
    Last edited by Susan; 05-09-2011 at 06:30 AM.

One thing you might consider is switching the kind of salt you use. I would ask a human doctor before doing this, but sometimes in heart patients they have them use a potassium chloride instead of sodium salt. I don't know what the taste difference is, but especially if you are on a thiazide diuretic (which tends to help you retain sodium and lose potassium) it might be a viable alternative. I have no evidence or proof to back that statement up, but it might be worth looking in to. Another thing I have read is that sea salt may not have the negative side effects on cardiovascular health that regular salt does.

It's tough when you are doing everything right and still your health isn't perfect. I have a good friend who is fit and lean and his bad cholesterol is off the chart, despite a vegetarian diet and cholesterol losing drugs. But just think about how much worse it might be if you weren't doing everything you could already, right?

Yes, it is very important to make it clear how much exercise and what intensity level you do, because as we have both found out, many physicians have no concept of what we do, even though it is nowhere near competitive level. It's a lot more than what they envision, i.e. taking a walk a few days a week, or a few classes at the gym. And this becomes even more important as you age. Anyway, DH is about to ditch his cardiologist for the one he went to for a second opinion. It's a bit of a pain to go into the city, but this guy is used to working with athletes and is on the cutting edge of treatment, being at a hospital that is known around the world.
    I think i need to start standing more, too, although I don't think I can do therapy standing up... I've noticed changes in my body, since I stopped teaching, which is a much more active job.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I second taking into consideration genetic factors. Is there a history of high blood pressure in his family?

My mother has always been low-normal weight, eaten a fairly healthy balanced diet, and always active...her blood pressure is through the roof without medication. In fact, almost every woman in her family has had blood pressure issues.

And now, I have it, too. Though I didn't realize it until I started getting chronic migraines and we started digging into what was causing them. I take a daily 10mg dose of Lisinopril, and that is enough to keep my numbers low enough to a) prevent migraines and b) keep my doctor happy, without impacting my ability to swim, bike, or run.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of a daily medication, but since I've done all of the other things the doctor has suggested (mainly changes in diet, since I was already actively exercising 4-5 times a week) I was willing to do it to get rid of the migraines I was experiencing regularly. Especially because those migraines caused me to DNS four races/events in the past two years.

For the record, my doctor wouldn't treat 150/80 with medication. He would start by saying no caffeine. Then: limited sugar, taking a look at overall added salt intake and possibly adjusting that downward (though he's not entirely convinced that salt is the blood pressure demon that it's made out to be), adding more fish to the diet, and reducing refined carb intake. Caffeine is really the big one for him, though. (Of course, I go to a doctor that thinks changes in lifestyle are better for you than taking pills. So, he saves the pills until he's seen the other changes don't/won't work for someone.)
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

Since I already know that my food allergies cause palpitations and increased heart rate, I started poking around to see if they could cause hypertension too.

A while back Dianyla posted a chart of histamine pathways in the body. Yup, hypertension is on there.

Up until now it hasn't really been worth it to me to adhere strictly to my allergy diet. It was like a 30% improvement in quality of life for a 200% increase in hassle. But if it'll keep me off BP meds I'll work at it. Maybe your DH should try a challenge diet, especially if he has known allergies of any type.

My hubby is on a couple of low-dose BP meds. I'm not sure which ones, but the ones he was originally on caused horrible edema. What he's on now doesn't.

He's very active...high BP runs in his family...this is a family of slim cyclists and marathon runners. He's 20-30#s overweight, but this isn't the cause of his HBP--it would be there even at ideal weight.

He has started to stand at work. Fortunately he works for a major office furniture manufacturer, so he was able to change to a standing height desk and has a taller office chair when he needs to sit.

Can your hubby sit on a yoga ball if a taller desk is not an option? I know a few people who do this, since it helps to work the core and requires more work to stay upright.

Another thought is to look for a physician who understands the specific needs of athletes. We really lucked-out...our doc is an avid cyclist who often commutes to the office on his bike. We're really fortunate to have a PCP who treats us as athletes and not the same way he would treat the general couch potato public. Years ago I was having knee issues and my doc and his PA both helped me find a solution that didn't = stop running...many docs would have told me to quit being active, which is backwards.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    As I understand it (but I'm no doctor), stress can really affect BP. If your husband's job is very stressful--to the point of affecting his health--it might be an opportunity to figure out how to lower that stress. I left a job that was so stressful that I had multiple health problems from the stress. I did not have high BP, but I serious bruxism, nearly chronic back and hip pain, and extra weight. I left that job and those issues resolved themselves.

Just something to think about as you and your husband figure out how best to be healthy and happy.

Regarding cutting back on salt to decrease BP, make sure to read this article from last week's Dr. Gabe Mirkin e-zine. I found it quite interesting. In a nutshell, he does not think the research supports cutting salt intake except in non-exercisers, and in fact, that it can be dangerous to do so in athletes:

http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine050811.html

Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you for all your answers.

Crankin, that's what I meant, when they hear someone is being active or "doing sports" they think about a small biketour on the weekend. And it's ok, I guess they are right most of the time. Most people consider themselves "active" and think that they "eat well" even if they don't - and probably doctors are used to this.
    Finding a physician that is more used to treating active people or even an athlete herself so that she can relate to what we do - I guess this would be great.

As far as I know, high bp is not common in DHs family, but he told me that he had high bp as teenager, so genetics could be a factor.

Regarding his job, DH cut back one work hour the last few days and slept a little longer than usual. He cut back on coffee. I don't know how long this will last, but I guess it won't do any harm
    I tried to de-stress him a bit, took him for a small biketour in the evening and made some good-night tea.

Emily, this article is really interesting. Strange how different studies sometimes come to contradicting results. I think I will just continue to use enough salt to taste while not overdoing it - this seems to make the most sense to me.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Sounds like a good start, coming home one hour early, sleeping a little more, and having less coffee. How much coffee and other caffeine drinks does he drink?

I know that we are about to change our primary care doctor and this is one of the big reasons. Our doctor stopped doing primary care and only does sleep studies now. The guy who worked with her brought his wife into the practice; he's just goofy and she's (no offense to anyone) a slightly overweight woman in her forties who questioned me if I had "chest pain when climbing stairs," when I told her I was concerned about my chest hurting/getting bronchitis or pneumonia when I had a sinus infection. It gets worse when you get over 55; I have noticed a distinct difference in the way I am spoken to by some medical people. They speak like i am a child and try to "explain" things like I'm a moron.
    It is true that it helps to have a doctor that rides or runs or swims or something! My gynecologist is a tri-athlete; while she has gone a bit overboard (to the point of wearing very inappropriate attire at the health club, causing creepy guys to hit on her) after losing 125 lbs., when I talk to her about my concerns, she listens and totally understands. She doesn't tell me to slow down, even though I have various medical and sports injury things.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura