Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How tacky is this?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm currently raising money to do a century with TNT.

In sending out fundraising emails, I sent one to a former boss who not only tried to set me up to take the fall for a huge payroll mistake she made, but in the midst of layoffs, she told us that our department wouldn't be affected. Since the company had a last hired/first fired policy, I would have been on the way out. When she was on her way to my field office for a "meeting" with the higher-ups, I sent her my resignation. When she showed up at my office the next morning, she was in the best mood I'd ever seen anyone in when faced with an employee's resignation, but said she'd made an "error" with my paycheck that week. When I logged into the system myself to check it out (as one can do when one works in the HR department) I found out that my check had already been printed with severance and vacation payout. She was on her way to pink slip me and my resignation made it to her just hours before she had to do the dirty work, so she pulled back the check and processed me as a resignation. I figured the confrontation wasn't worth it, so I didn't even tell her I knew what was going on. It was certainly legal from the company POV, but not very kind.

So, although there's no love lost between us, and I have as much chance of her not even reading my email, I sent a request anyway. You never know how people react to charity requests, right? The last time I rasied money for an endurance event, I got the highest donations from people who I was the most hesitant to ask.

good luck, Jen what a story!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

That is quite a story!! I don't think I would have had the balls to send her an email - but kudos to you for doing so!! Hopefully her guilt (she should have some) will result in a nice, fat donation for you!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm sorry but my feeling is that if you screw with me once, you are no longer an element in my life and would never have even bothered to keep or remember her email, but perhaps that is just me being attitudinal and grumpy and evil.
    Last edited by marni; 05-07-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Jen, you go for it, get money from anywhere and everywhere.

This is going slightly off topic but during 2008 to 2010, I managed to help raise over £23,000 for Leukaemia Research, bl**dy hard work though plus I think I lost a few friends because of it.

I discovered emailing was not that successful, so it was down to sending letters out but it did pay off. Also I sent individual PM's to friends on other Forums, always personalising the message.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on.

PS Just a thought, why don't you put your fundraising link under your signature, I'll chuck a couple of bob your way.
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 05-08-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Marni - you make a great point. If it was a personal address, I probably would have lost it a while ago, but the email is a corporate address. first intial, last name at the company. Not easy to forget, and I figured since it's really about a larger cause than our work relationship, it would be worth a shot.
    Jen

Clockwork Orange, you're very sweet. Your results are fantastic! I'm tryng to work a few different approaches. I didn't post the link here, since sometimes people get upset about those things, but since you asked...
    Jen

Which event are you doing Jen?

Cheers for the link Jen, have done me bit.

I remember now, one friend of mine use to call me a Professional Pesterer, when it came to getting sponsorship.

Hope you reach your target.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Which event are you doing Jen?
    I'm doing the Cool Breeze Century in Ventura, CA. It's local-ish for me. I live in SoCal.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    Cheers for the link Jen, have done me bit.

I remember now, one friend of mine use to call me a Professional Pesterer, when it came to getting sponsorship.

Hope you reach your target.
    Thanks much!
    Jen