Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: stupid sizing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Emily, it wasn't so much that they run big - I'd guessed that! - but that, by their size chart, I have a 24" waist. Which I do not, and have not since I was probably, oh, 11? It's one thing to list a size 2 accurately as a 27" waist but to vanity-size your measurement chart is just insane.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Another reason for size discrepancies is the way clothes are mass produced. The fabric is placed in layers, then the pattern is cut out. The bottom of the stack will be less precise than the top, making for a slightly different size (I think the bottom layer comes out larger). So, you can get a small 4, or a large 4, of the exact same garment, in the same store. I was told this by a Gap manager.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I often wonder this about the measurements. I most definitely do not have a 24 inch waist. It's 26 or 27. Yet, a lot of the size 2s or even 4s say 24-25 inches.
    Red, that makes a lot of sense about the pattern cutting, and I know nothing about sewing. But, I actually like the Gap jeans as I just discovered the fact they make petite sizes and sell them on line. I know that even if they feel tight at first, they will stretch. I've bought a couple of pairs of "jeggings," and some skinny jeans that I couldn't fit into in any other brand, because I couldn't get them over my calves or thighs in a size that fit my waist. With Gap, I can buy my regular size and they fit because of the stretch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Another reason for size discrepancies is the way clothes are mass produced. The fabric is placed in layers, then the pattern is cut out. The bottom of the stack will be less precise than the top, making for a slightly different size (I think the bottom layer comes out larger). So, you can get a small 4, or a large 4, of the exact same garment, in the same store. I was told this by a Gap manager.
    That's true. Gap has been telling their customers (and employees) this for the past 25 years. I learned the exact same thing when I worked there in HS back in the 80's when Gap still carried Levi's!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Hey, that makes sense.

They should market the "extra precise top layer garment", the way they market extra-virgin olive oil
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

They told me the same thing at J Jill. If I want to try on a pair of pants and they have more than one pair in my size, I will bring them all into the fitting room to compare them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Another issue with cutting is that because the folds are not precise, the layers can get more and more off grain. Have you ever had that weird pair of pants where the side seam twists and ends up falling down the top of your foot?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.