Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: stupid sizing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shoes....you guys had to bring up shoes....YUCK!

Haha. I (generally) wear a normal width, but my feet are so low-volume that the only shoes that fit me correctly are my chacos - cinched as tight as they go.

Oh. And my favorite jeans just fell apart. So now I get to go jeans shopping again too. Time to play the big-butt-thin-waist-athletic-thighs game again.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Discussions like this always leave me wondering if there is any configuration of woman who can consistently find clothes that fit off the rack and just what that woman might look like.
    Given how clothes fit me I have decided that she has legs that are 2" longer, torso that is an inch or two shorter, a thicker waist, but smaller butt and thighs and 1 cup size smaller boobs.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Oh. And my favorite jeans just fell apart. So now I get to go jeans shopping again too. Time to play the big-butt-thin-waist-athletic-thighs game again.
    I just went through this. I stumbled across some junior's relaxed fit boot-cut jeans on Sierra Trading Post that actually fit women with thighs bigger around than beer bottles, and without being huge in the waist.

This is my current clothing pet peeve....smaller sizes that are cut for little waif girls, not powerful athletic women with leg and butt muscles.

Becky, what jeans are they if I may ask? I have big thighs for the rest of my frame and hate jeans shopping.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Given how clothes fit me I have decided that she has legs that are 2" longer, torso that is an inch or two shorter, a thicker waist, but smaller butt and thighs and 1 cup size smaller boobs.
    This is correct, except that she has 1 cup size larger boobs.

Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    And no muscle on her arms.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Lisa, I had that problem with a cotton hoodie thing I bought from Target a few years ago. XL for someone who weighs 140lbs at nearly 5'7"?

I hate buying dress shoes because I have flippers for feet (and my right is nearly a half-size bigger than my left) and if they fit width-wise across the ball of my foot, they're way to wide in the heel. (Maybe I'm actually a duck...?)

As long as my legs are (my legs and torso need different bike sizes!), the woman that most clothes are designed for must have legs that are even longer! And she must not have fat or muscle on her legs either. That is the only explanation I have for why I can't find capris that don't look like my pants have shrunk in the dryer (rather than mid-calf where I'd like), or those shorts that are cut exactly like the top half of a regular pair of pants.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Becky, what jeans are they if I may ask? I have big thighs for the rest of my frame and hate jeans shopping.
    Cruel Girl relaxed-fit Britany jeans. They also make a slim fit in the same style...caveat emptor.

I stumbled across them by dumb luck, honestly. Another woman wrote in her review that they fit her athletic thighs and butt, despite being juniors, so I took a gamble and lucked out.

I don't think Medium is average, just somewhere between Small and Large, whatever that may mean.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Does anyone know of any GOOD thick padded cycling shorts that fit small? I got the Pearl Izumi sugar short in size small, but they're too big! I have to return them to TE but not sure what to replace them with and don't want to have to keep sending them back...getting desperate to be riding with a new pair! I need the thigh area to fit snug and the padding not to droop!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp, Specialized BG Lithia w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails
    2009 Specialized Myka FSR, Specialized Windie 143

Quote Originally Posted by bluejellybean View Post
    Does anyone know of any GOOD thick padded cycling shorts that fit small? I got the Pearl Izumi sugar short in size small, but they're too big! I have to return them to TE but not sure what to replace them with and don't want to have to keep sending them back...getting desperate to be riding with a new pair! I need the thigh area to fit snug and the padding not to droop!
    Pick up the phone and call TE! Seriously - this is the kind of question they'll be able to answer in a heart beat - and probably much more correctly than any of us
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The thing is, I am not an average-sized woman! Why is everything I wear a medium?

Isn't 'medium' considered average?

Hmmm....
    You'd think, but it all seems very arbitrary to me as to where they draw those lines (whoever "they" are). I wear anything from a medium (shorts, some jerseys) to an XL (some jerseys).
    (and I feel your pain on the bikes...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'd suggest the Sugoi RS short in an XS, but I've heard of some quality control issues of late with the short. I second the suggestion to call TE. They really know their products, and are more than happy to help.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Also, the Shebeest S Pro shorts in x-small are perfect for me. Nice huge flat waist, too. I also have the Terry Bellas, which are longer and heavier.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sounds like you need XS. I am partial to Sugoi shorts, but everyone is built differently, and shorts change from model year to model year (and mine are all 2+ years old), so I can't give any specific recommendations.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow