Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Arrow Cycling encyclopedia?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is there such a thing as a cycling encyclopedia?

I'm looking into getting a new bike when I have saved up enough money since the frame of my Specialized Dolce Elite is actually too small (bike fitter said I need a 56 and I have a 51). But what I am finding is a lot of words that mean nothing to me but something to people who are "in the know". I would like to be "in the know".

What I am looking for is a breakdown of terms like "triple" or "comp" in reference to bike specs as well as other commonly used cycling terms.

Thanks!

You could start here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html. When ever I get in a situation with any kind of specalized lingo for a subject I always ask what the terms mean. Very often sales clerks and people in a specific trade "talk the lingo" and it's not amusing for those who are not on the inside. If you ask often enough they may start to talk to you in laymans terms or explain as they go. It always seems a bit imperious when people do that to inexperienced persons. It certainly isn't customer friendly.

Of course on the other hand when a person comes in to a shop and starts to talk the lingo then it's perfectly fine to get real technical with them. But sales people should recognize the difference. Computer and electronics persons often do this, they forget about the rest of us mere mortals and the uninitiated
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Sheldon Brown is a great resource but feel free to asking questions here, too. This is exactly what the New Riders forum is for.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er