Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike Maintenance Class at REI

To disable ads, please log-in.

I took a four-hour basic bike maintenance class today at the local REI. It turned into a 5 1/2 hour class, and was great. There were only three of us, all over 50, with a hybrid bike, my Rivendell Glorius, and a carbon road bike, so we learned about all types of components.

We took off the cranks and I removed and replaced my bottom bracket (it was bad).

We learned about hubs and wheels and trued the wheels that needed truing.

I replaced my rear derailleur cable and adjusted everything so it shifts great now.

I also replaced my front brake cable and brake pads and adjusted both the front and rear brakes.

And all throughout the class I was cleaning up all the filthy nooks and crannies on my bike. It looks and rides great now!

Despite having five bikes, I was, until today, quite ignorant about maintenance except for fixing flats and lubing the chain. I feel empowered now!

I'm sure REI's classes are very instructor-dependent, but this one was fantastic. I'm going to have to send a Starbucks gift card to the instructor.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I took a four-hour basic bike maintenance class today at the local REI. It turned into a 5 1/2 hour class, and was great. There were only three of us, all over 50, with a hybrid bike, my Rivendell Glorius, and a carbon road bike, so we learned about all types of components.

We took off the cranks and I removed and replaced my bottom bracket (it was bad).

We learned about hubs and wheels and trued the wheels that needed truing.

I replaced my rear derailleur cable and adjusted everything so it shifts great now.

I also replaced my front brake cable and brake pads and adjusted both the front and rear brakes.

And all throughout the class I was cleaning up all the filthy nooks and crannies on my bike. It looks and rides great now!

Despite having five bikes, I was, until today, quite ignorant about maintenance except for fixing flats and lubing the chain. I feel empowered now!

I'm sure REI's classes are very instructor-dependent, but this one was fantastic. I'm going to have to send a Starbucks gift card to the instructor.
    That's great, DB. I'm glad you had such an informative class on bike maintenance. Being able to handle more critical bikes issues besides changing flats and lubing is extremely empowering. Good for you.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Now I'm thinking about taking that 6 week class at Spokes. Want to join me, Kathy?

Now I'm thinking about taking that 6 week class at Spokes. Want to join me, Kathy?
    Yes, I'd be up for it. Let's look at the dates of when you're thinking about taking the class. I've got something going on June 10-13 but am free after that until the end of Sept.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

I am sure I will end up taking one of those classes, either at REI or a local(sort of) bike store. I got teased at my bike shop because I carry 4 or 5 tubes in a little bag on rides. I have NEVER had a flat. I couldn't change a tire to save my life, but it's just like carrying an umbrella so it won't rain.

Not all who wander are lost

Wow! this sounds great! Was this the Greenbelt store? I just got the class listing for Rockville but the closest thing they seem to offer is a 2-hr session on a Wed night where the focus is changing tires. I'm guessing your class was more comprehensive and was on a weekend. What was the title of the class? I would come over for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Wow! this sounds great! Was this the Greenbelt store? I just got the class listing for Rockville but the closest thing they seem to offer is a 2-hr session on a Wed night where the focus is changing tires. I'm guessing your class was more comprehensive and was on a weekend. What was the title of the class? I would come over for something like that.
    It was in College Park on Saturday and was called Hands On Bike Maintenance. Totally worth the drive.

Interesting.. I've been wanting to do one of the Park Tools schools, but they are at times/locations I haven't been able to commit to. The REI class sounds like a good alternative. I think I've got a headset if not also a BB that needs cleaning.

aicabsolut,

Would you be able to take a Park Tools class on Sunday afternoons (4-6:30 pm) for 6 wks. beginning Aug. 7th? DivingBiker and I are considering taking this class in Alexandria, VA.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

I saw this class offered at REI via their email bulletin I signed up for. Glad to hear of all the great things - I'll have to check it out! I need to know how to do things on my own and not rely on all my guy friends. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    aicabsolut,

Would you be able to take a Park Tools class on Sunday afternoons (4-6:30 pm) for 6 wks. beginning Aug. 7th? DivingBiker and I are considering taking this class in Alexandria, VA.
    I think you posted about that before, but what is the cost? I'm completely inept with my bike, other than riding it and even that is open for debate. I really need to learn how to do some things for the upkeep of my bikes.

Possegal, the past post about this class was for a small, private class that would cover just the things the participants were interested in learning, however, I think the cost prohibited participation.

Here's the link for the class - http://spokesetc.com/about/park-tool-school-pg839.htm. DivingBiker and I are planning on taking the August 7th class (for 6 wks.). Cost is $200.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Oh that seems doable actually. I'm going to give this some thought. I have much learning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    Oh that seems doable actually. I'm going to give this some thought. I have much learning to do.
    Great. I hope you can make it. It'd be nice to meet you.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Oh if only I lived closer but to come to DC 6 weekends in a row? hmm 90 gallons gas @ $4.00 - better make that $5/gal. I think I have to pass. This would be a better winter time class - much easier to give up a Sunday afternoon for a bike class in winter than summer.