Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hopefully, she'll fill you in! Looking at the photo, I think the yellow one has to be split. The Red one might not be (it's nice to know that's an option, as my preferred bar doesn't come in a splittable diameter).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Question is, how difficult will it be to pack a non split bar. I guess a long talk is due with BF guys after the weekend.

I'm pretty sure they're open for a little while on Saturday or available via email. We worked with Walter and he was always emailing us before/after "normal" hours.

Seriously - getting on the phone with them is your best bet. They're very helpful!

I have a 13 hour time difference :-) Will speak to Walter on Monday I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I'm 99% sure Emily's bar is split (the white bike in your post I replied to). I've been having trouble finding a short/shallow enough bar to make me happy that is the small diameter. That's cool if they've got an alternate clamp for larger bars. Every one I've seen in person has been split, though. I think packing would be difficult with a single piece bar.

No issues with the bar moving or feeling any different from a regular bar. I don't think about it until I pack the bike.
    Blueberry is correct with all the answers she gave you about my bike.

The handlebar is a Salsa Poco. One thing to keep in mind is when they split the bar, you lose a cm off the bar width. So I wished I'd gone up a size. I got the 38 Pocos and would have gotten the 40 had I known. The 38s ended up more like 37s, and I sometimes hit my knees on the bar-end shifters when I stand to pedal (which I don't do often) or on a sharp turn.

It feels just like any other handlebar.

Cheers,
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My understanding is that if you want to use one of the lighter swan style stems the bars must be split. But splitting is no biggie (and does not impact ride quality at all), just size up as Emily suggests since they do lose 1 cm in cutting (I also made this mistake the first time around).

I'm really glad you both mentioned losing a cm. I'm getting ready to put shallower drop bars on my Friday, and they told me that the bar would be the same width after cutting (that they don't lose any) so I don't need to size up I think I'm going with the TE wisdom (and a slightly wider bar won't hurt on a touring bike anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Blueberry is correct with all the answers she gave you about my bike.

The handlebar is a Salsa Poco. One thing to keep in mind is when they split the bar, you lose a cm off the bar width. So I wished I'd gone up a size. I got the 38 Pocos and would have gotten the 40 had I known. The 38s ended up more like 37s, and I sometimes hit my knees on the bar-end shifters when I stand to pedal (which I don't do often) or on a sharp turn.

It feels just like any other handlebar.

Cheers,
    Emily
    Thanks Emily.

Just looked up that bar and it is a 31.8mm bar. I thought that they could split only the 25.4mm bars, at least thats what I read in another forum. This sounds good as our current bars which we love on our road bikes, are 31.8mm FSA Wing Compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
    Thanks Emily.

Just looked up that bar and it is a 31.8mm bar. I thought that they could split only the 25.4mm bars, at least thats what I read in another forum. This sounds good as our current bars which we love on our road bikes, are 31.8mm FSA Wing Compacts.
    Deepak,

Definitely confirm with the Bike Friday folks that they can still cut the 31.8mm bars, as my Pocket Crusoe was built in 2004, and it's possible things have changed since then.

Blueberry,

It's also possible they've changed things so that you don't lose a cm when the bars are cut. Both Triskelion and my Fridays are/were older, so I can't honestly say; just relating my experience.

Cheers all,
    Emily
    Emily

Check with Walter, he is very good and is the one that told me that the bars lose 1 cm when cut. But I agree with Emily things may have changed (I bought my friday in 2001). My bars that were cut were not 25.4, they were 26mm, but that was the popular clamp size at the time. I think the issue will be what size they are now making their clamps, so again just ask Walter. I also think you wouldn't want to cut a carbon bar. But if you do want to use a carbon bar, I think you could use the other stem style that works with an uncut bar, just realize there is (was) a weight penalty. While its probably easier to pack cut bars, its not difficult to pack un-cut ones, so just discuss your current options with Walter.

I thought that the yellow and red bikes have standard 3T bars and not split. Have PMed Hulagirl for the details.

Happy to hear that the split bars 'feel' normal.
    My bike - the red one has the 3T bars and they are not split. I have no problem packing them.

Hubby has the split bars and doesn't like them. Wants mine. LOL! :roll eyes:

Here is a picture of the bike packed - note the bars neatly tuck in on the left. Very easy. I've packed both spit bars and solid and I actually prefer packing the solid bars.
    url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/49239140@N03/6299827666/][/url]
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/49239140@N03/6299827666/]
    Last edited by hulagirl; 10-31-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks Hulagirl. Just the pic I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Check with Walter, he is very good and is the one that told me that the bars lose 1 cm when cut. But I agree with Emily things may have changed (I bought my friday in 2001). My bars that were cut were not 25.4, they were 26mm, but that was the popular clamp size at the time. I think the issue will be what size they are now making their clamps, so again just ask Walter. I also think you wouldn't want to cut a carbon bar. But if you do want to use a carbon bar, I think you could use the other stem style that works with an uncut bar, just realize there is (was) a weight penalty. While its probably easier to pack cut bars, its not difficult to pack un-cut ones, so just discuss your current options with Walter.
    Just spoke to Walter, and he said that you definitely do not lose any length on splitting the bar. He has suggested the Poco for a shorter reach and drop.

Hulagirl,

Just another question. Do you remember what bar is on your husbands bike? Any reason he dislikes it?

Thanks for all the help guys. We got our bikes in Dec, and leave for a short tour in Thailand on 19th, Italy in May and France in August

Just spoke to Walter, and he said that you definitely do not lose any length on splitting the bar. He has suggested the Poco for a shorter reach and drop.
    Given that, they DID give me a 36 cm Salsa Poco bar while telling me it was a 38 cm. I've ridden it since 2004, so I am certainly not going to quibble, but here all this time, I thought I ordered the wrong size. Sounds like the mistake was theirs instead.
    Emily