Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

I pack mine in the soft case that I put in the hard case. When TSA opens the hard case, there is a zipped soft case. They unzipped it and that seems to satisfy their need to check thing out. No problems thus far.

Go step-by-step in the book, one step at a time. Remain calm and think if it as a meditative practice.

I also tape a nice note to TSA on the inside of the case top explaining that this us a folding bike and I include photos of the folded bike in the case.

I love the colors on your bikes!! So cute!

I have a Bike Friday, and I took it from California to Maryland to do a ride last October. I took pictures of each step as we packed it. I then printed out the photos with my name and cell number and placed it in an envelope labeled for TSA in the Bike Friday suitcase. This way if for any reason TSA felt they needed to rummage through it or had trouble getting it all back in, they could see from the pictures or could call me. The bike got to Maryland fine and came back fine. No phone calls either.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-27-2011 at 07:46 AM.

I'm sitting in the United lounge waiting for our flight. United took the bags without batting an eye. Came in at 44 lbs per case. So well under weight limit (I have a 70lb weight limit as I'm Premier Executive status anyway).

Packing took us an hour and a half. I velcro'd everything that I could in the case so that if they have to pick up the bike they will do so in one piece. I put a picture up in the case of what it was unfolded and folded in the case. I noted that the case did not contain any C02 or liquids. And I put my name and phone number if they had questions. I can only hope and pray they the TSA is decent about this.

I didn't think about the zip lock bag thing. Next time. I'll get the big freezer bags and label them. I hope my karma level is high and things work out.

Regardless, we just saved $300 by checking the bikes. I guess if we had to put them in a box and pay $300 that the TSA is still going to check things and possibly screw stuff up. So...well...at least I'm not out $300. Gotta count your blessings when you can.

Fingers and toes are crossed. Won't be home until after 9pm tonight so I'll check it all out tomorrow at let you all know how it goes.

Denise

Good luck and safe travels, Denise!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    fingers crossed, Denise!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I bet it will go just fine, Denise! And $300 saved is nothing to scoff at -- just one of the many advantages of Bike Fridays.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

We are home! Yipeeee!

The F'lite cases made it through the trip without a problem. Good thing we have luggage straps on them as the main lock on mine was unlatched. We don't lock it because it's not a TSA lock. One of our luggage straps is a TSA lock though so that's what we use.

Doesn't look like TSA opened them at all. If they did, they didn't leave the note that said "We rummaged through your stuff. Love, TSA" And everything was in the same order/condition we packed it in. Will assemble later tonight or tomorrow after my trail run.

Good to be home! Miss the bike love of Seattle already though!

Yay! I knew it would be just fine. Good!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Is the listed price for the Pocket Rocket Pro just the frame and fork? I should just call Bike Friday shouldn't I...
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Most of the prices I've seen on their site are full bikes...

Well, the pocket rocket pro is fully custom, so I'm not sure how they set a price when there are any number of combinations of componenents. Maybe Tulip can fill me in

This bike decision is tormenting me! Part of me wants a caad10 so I can race on it in the spring. Part of me wants the bike friday for the freedom it gives me. Part of me wants a Ti bike for the comfort level. blargh!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Reesha-

What they usually do is put "stock" components in the price, and then you can go up from there. On the older version of their website, they would have several price points for each model with component options, and then you could modify from that starting place.

So, when I ordered my Crusoe (which was fully custom), I started with base components, and added component upgrades, different headset, generator hub, etc. I can't get to any of their model pages right now ("could not connect" error) to confirm that they haven't changed this - but if you'll point me to what you're looking at, I'm happy to take a look.

ETA: Folks have tried to buy frame/fork in the past, and Bike Friday has not wanted to do that. Their FAQ on Pricing says:

What is included in the PRICE?

The price shown is for a base model, without any additional accessories or upgrades. Trailers and bags are not included in the price, and, unless noted in the specs, pedals and saddles are usually optional items not included in the price.

All prices shown are in United States dollars, do not include any shipping or import fees, and are subject to change at any time.
    Last edited by Blueberry; 06-29-2011 at 06:55 AM.

That's what BF did for us on our bikes. We gave them an "idea" of what we wanted, they said Pocket Crusoe and NWT and gave us the base price.

It all went up from there. ;-) But they did work with my budget and kept me on track.

I highly recommend you call BF directly. They are EXCELLENT on the phone. I spent a good 45 min on the phone with Dave discussing all the options and whys/hows. We had about 2-3 of those conversations over the course of a week. So they work with you very nicely.

Speaking of calling them, I need to email Dave and let him know how thrilled we are with the bikes.

My NWT should arrive sometime in the next week!!!!!

As far as ordering and price, I totally agree that a call is essential. My NWT is much cheaper than the generalized price on the site because I didn't need 24 speeds for the riding I planned to do (instead will have 8-speed nexus). On the other hand, I added a rack and fenders, etc. (even then bike was cheaper than listed price online)

I also had a good talk with Dave about what I needed because I was back-and-forth between the Tikit and NWT and in the end, I really feel that I got the perfect bike for my needs. He asked questions I never would have thought of and was not out to bleed me of my $$ - if I already had something on hand (like my MKS Lambda pedals, my Brooks saddle) he suggested I use those instead of buying different, etc. Each question he had came with an explanation of the options, cost differential, and pros and cons of getting something. He wasn't trying to hard-sell special costly colors, accessories, etc. Heck, he didn't even bring that up - I did! (I went with standard cream soda blue which was free) It was very friendly and warm.
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Reesha, what size are you? My DH has a barely used Pocket Rocket Pro sitting in the case. He used it traveling for about 2 years and rode it maybe 2 times at home. He rides a 52 cm on his regular bike and it was custom designed for those specs (he had a Trek 5500 when he bought the Friday). It has high end components. It's a double, with really low gears.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport