Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Brooks b17 edge question

Hi all,
    I recently got a partially broken-in B17 from Kitsune. I rode it for the first time today, only a couple miles to work, in jeans, and am a little concerned. I've tried measuring my sit bones a few times but haven't had much luck coming up with an accurate measurement. The other saddle I've ridden that I've mostly liked it the Bontrager inform WSD 160.

Anywho, as I rode today it seemed to me that my sit bones were right on top of the metal edge of the saddle- uncomfortable. My husband seems to think that what I'm feeling is just the firmness of the leather and that once it breaks in I'll be more comfortable.

Does anybody know of a way to tell the hardness of the metal edge from the hardness of the leather? I stuck my fingers under my sitbones and thought it seemed like hard metal, but he says no that's just the leather. I'm guessing the only solution is to get a decent measurement of my bones..? Or is it that the edge will break in? Or is the edge as I suspect, metal and not going to break in..?

Thanks for any help.
    ...never met a bike that I didn't wanna ride.

Get on the bike while someone holds it steady.

Put your thumb on the top of the saddle, right where you feel your sit bones. (you'll probably want to do this a couple times) Hold your thumb there, and get off the bike. Put your index finger directly under your thumb, like you are pinching the leather.

If your finger is on or right near the cantle plate... the saddle is too narrow. You are on the metal and ain't nothing gonna make it better.

If your finger is well away from the cantle plate, then it's just you getting used to the leather. (it's like sitting on a wooden kitchen chair after spending years in a Barco-lounger)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 04-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

could i do this on the trainer or might that throw off my usual positioning/back angle/etc ?

i guess i can just try a number of times at different angles.

The trainer probably won't throw your butt off much. I'd give it a try!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

would you believe me if i said it seems like one side is on the metal and one is on the leather? i should probably also note i'm missing one bone (anterior ramus, on the side that feels like it's on the metal) due to a surgery.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Yeah, that's maybe a bit of a game changer. What bony surface do you sit on, then, if any, on that side?

I suppose the difinitive way to see where your sit bones (or their nearest approximation) are would be to use a piece of tinfoil, crumple it, unfold it and sit on it. Wiggle 'round a little then get up and there should be a couple spots about golfball circumference (or more, or less) where your ischial tuberosities would sit. You'd measure from outside to outside.

I'm sorry you're experiencing discomfort.