Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KA-Motion

KA-Motion

To disable ads, please log-in.

We had our first ever meeting of the new bike/ped advocacy group, Thursday night. Despite the cold and that the city was still digging out from the storm, we had 13 people-- a satisfactory turnout.

My most important goal was to settle on our name. I've been calling us Northeast Missouri Walk & Bike (NEMO Walk & Bike) as a "placeholder" name. The placeholder name was a strong contender but the ultimate winner was Kirksville Area Motion-- KA-Motion! Such a cute name!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That's great that you had such a good turnout considering the weather!
    So what's next on the docket?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

MU Extension has a grant to do Livable Streets workshops in communities around Missouri. They'd already been planning to do one in Kirksville, and I've gotten involved in that. We're going to use the workshop to launch KA-Motion. By March 29, we need to have a rudimentary website that has a form so people can join and subscribe to the list.

There is some bike-ped activity going on already, so we can easily jump on board with that. The Parks & Rec director was at the meeting, which was awesome because it gives us a stamp of legitimacy. She was already planning on doing bike/ped traffic counts and I was able to tell her about the National Bike/Ped Documentation resources.

We talked about an easy project to mark a trail out at the State Park. The markers already exist and would happily be donated for this.

I'd love to observe Bike, Walk & Wheel Week in May. I don't want to try to do a big production of it our first year, but breakfast stations for a Bike to Work day might be simple enough.

Very cool!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Excellent! I love that you're taking action and making things happen in your community! LOVE IT!!
    Is your bike/ped community fairly large in your area?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The answer to your question about the bike/ped scene is yes and no. It's large for the type of community but it's a small, rural community. Kirksville has a population of 17,000 plus about 8000 students. It's the biggest town for 90 miles in any direction, so it's a center for the surrounding rural communities as well.

There is no longer any cycling club that I'm aware of, the university one doesn't exist. There is a thriving multisport club, and a couple races every month without having to travel too far, including the big triathlon in September.

There's also what I call the "hippie culture". I'm not sure if there is a more PC term for that. Sustainability or eco culture? Actual communes, as well as more mainstream things like the Farmer's Market. The university has a lot of sustainability initiatives, and the students formed a Bike Coop which alternates between thriving and struggling (a bit of both at the moment).

There is no bike shop anymore. Several people fix bikes, and one huge service KA-Motion will provide is listing these services on our website.

Congrats! Maybe you'll get some inspiration from our group:

http://bloomington.in.gov/Bloomingto...ing_Task_Force
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Seems to me I'd posted an update on this group recently but I can't find it. Sorry if this is duplicate info.

Several weeks ago our grant person walked into my office. "We want to apply for this Missouri Foundation for Health grant," she told me, "but none of us have time. Then we thought of you and the new bike group. Would you be interested?"

Despite the 3 other grant deadlines, I did not hesitate in saying "YES!" What followed was a chaotic few weeks. I figured I'd have many more ideas than what we could fit into the budget, but I got the important ones to fit. Partnering with the local Bike Co-op and getting a part-time manager for them is probably the best idea I had. The closest bike shop is 90 miles away, and the Bike Co-op is a diamond in the rough run entirely by undergrads. It needs consistency & reliability. I worked closely with them developing the grant, and met a LOT of people who are really important for KA-Motion.

The other main element of the grant is Walking School Bus. I had no idea how popular that would turn out to be! By the end of it (yesterday), the person who originally asked me said she has enough experience with grants to know that you can't get your heart set on them--but she has her heart set on this one. I assured her that I'm already thinking about alternative funding opportunities and creative ways to make this happen.

I've met so many people, and they are all so excited and enthusiastic about the grant, about KA-Motion, about Walking School Bus, about Bike Co-op, about everything I want to do. It's exciting..and exhausting. But mostly exciting!

I was invited to speak to the Optimists Club the day before the grant deadline. The brand-new mayor was there and we chatted about Walking School Bus and bike/ped issues. Yesterday--the grant deadline--this article came out. Here's the relevant quote:
    "[Mayor] Detweiler said his four main objectives as mayor will be to ..., work with Kirksville Area Motion to create more resources for walkers and bicyclists and..."

I am astounded. In a good way!!

It has been a wild ride!

That is so exciting, Mel. You're my hero!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You did post this somewhere Mel...maybe Facebook? But it's good to see great news twice!

Will you be bringing your bike on your visit next month ? I'll be glad to take you on a riding tour of our bike/ped facilities (and we can do a quick Breaking Away tour if you want).

In addition, this might interest you:

http://bloomington.in.gov/documents/...cument_id=5210

Brilliant! Well done.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Great job, Mel! We need more of you!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I want a Kirksville Bike/Ped Task Force like Bloomington's, and I have high hopes that we'll get one sooner than later, after the mayor's comments in that news article.

I was pretty uncertain about this mayor. I knew the last mayor would have been an ally, but he didn't run for re-election and I didn't know much about Detweiler. I'm so relieved by the news article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bloom View Post
    Will you be bringing your bike on your visit next month ? I'll be glad to take you on a riding tour of our bike/ped facilities (and we can do a quick Breaking Away tour if you want).
    Probably not the bike. Too many people packed in the car, the car will get poor mileage with a bike attached, and I don't really think there will be time. I'm hoping at least some of my family will have time to go for a walk or two while we're there!

Plan on walking from the square, down Kirkwood, and through the beautiful campus. Also plan to walk the B-Line Trail two blocks west of the square.