Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

April Showers: Running 4/19 and on

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ran 10 "easy" miles on Sunday. It was actually kind of nice. We ran out to Lake Michigan and then did about 2 miles on the trails (the ice has FINALLY melted).
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Awesome trail run yesterday. 5 miles. I love running on the trails.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

We had scary storms in the area this morning, so it was back to the treadmill yet again... 5 miles, and it was weird that nearly all the ellipticals were in use, but I was the only one on a treadmill.

Tomorrow is the only day this week without a significant chance of rain in the forecast, so I'm planning a Thursday long(ish) run.

I ran for the first time in a week, since I actually rode 4 days last week.
    Three miles on my usual hilly route. My left foot has a bunion and it started feeling like I was getting a blister on it , just because I forgot to use Body Glide? There's no rhyme or reason to this, I was even wearing my Tekko socks.
    Right shin felt a twinge or two, but with a change in position, that went away.
    It's kinda cold (43), gray, and raw out. A bit of drizzle in the air.
    I stretched and did my core work afterwards; the stupid foot is still hurting, even though I am wearing my Bjorn shoes.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Just my Tuesday four-miler again. Hot and humid at 8 a.m. I've been ramping up the cycling quite a bit (cramming before the test? ) and feeling like I ought to just maintain with the running, for the next few weeks.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Crankin--Bunions are the worst! They can be so incredibly painful. Hope your foot recovers quickly. I actually had bunions removed from both feet--best. surgery. ever.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

I've learned to deal with the one bunion I have; mostly by finding shoes that don't annoy it. It doesn't help that the foot it's on is already almost half a size bigger than the other one.
    It feels fine today. I will probably wait until Saturday to run again, though, as it looks like 2 decent riding days.
    I just can't face the recovery period from the surgery.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The recovery wasn't so bad. I think I had 3-4 days in bed (I did both feet at once). Because I was in bed and not trying to hobble around, the feet healed pretty quickly. I was able to start swimming fairly soon after that. At 4 weeks I was on a spin bike (with walking casts on my feet). And 10 weeks I started running. I had the surgery right after New Years, I was fully recovered and ready to go by spring.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Thought I'd pop in and say hi

Sounds like y'all are starting to get some nicer weather for running. Send some our way! It's been a demoralizing, muddy, slippery trip here. I managed to not wimper too much on my last run in the pouring rain on a very muddy trail. It's still snowing up high and we're looking at one of the highest spring snow packs we've had in a very long time. This does not bode well for my planned trail event June 4! The RD is telling us to prepare for at least 10 miles on snow.

I did a gorgeous trail event near Fruita, CO last weekend and one a couple of weeks ago in Bend, OR with SadieKate. Weather was fabuloso for both of those. Seems I need to travel to find decent weather. I did do an event here in late March and there wasn't anything coming out of the sky for that one, so I guess I shouldn't whine so much.

There is a FATASS trail marathon here in the SLC this weekend that I might do but the weather forecast isn't the best (surprise!). Well, I really should just do it since this weather seems to be the norm. Then lots of running in Zion the weekend of May 7 (since this is really desert, the weather should in theory be good...and if it isn't I might just crawl under a rock and stay there) and probably another trail marathon mid-May. I'm still not feeling too confident about the June event because my training has been a bit off. The next few weeks are my biggest weeks, so we'll see how they go.

BTW, if you haven't listened to this Podcast, I highly recommend. Whenever I start to feel whiney, I think about Diane. And her footsteps-and-breathing mantra has really been working for me:

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiol...05/in-running/

Weird week for me, lost my weekend to travel, set me off all week. Did 3 bike workouts, a swim and some strength, still catching up to running. I'll run my intervals tomorrow and then 14 on Sat or Sun.

It was snowing here this week. Snow, hail, sun, rain, everything. Spring has sprung, but usually we get this in March, not April, especially not this late. It didn't even get over 40F today.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    There is a FATASS trail marathon here in the SLC this weekend that I might do but the weather forecast isn't the best (surprise!).
    Seriously? Sounds like a trail run for me. lol.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    lime, a FATASS event is one of those that has no entry fee, no t-shirt, no shwag, but lots of laughs and fun. People generally don't stand around and talk about their xx:xx minute mile. Everyone brings something for the aid stations, and there is always some sort of fun gathering afterward. You can do all or part of the course. This particular one tomorrow is secret, not advertised except by word of mouth. Same people every year, although it's been a couple of years since I've participated. FWIW, there are FATASS runs everywhere. Probably a bunch in your neck of the woods that you don't even know about

In the books

Ladder workout:

200 r : 6:17 pace
    400 r : 6:30
    800 r : 7:30
    1600 r : 7:25
    800 r : 7:15
    400 no rest : 6:45
    200 : 6:20

Phew!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Cold rain today (after a gorgeous bike ride in 70 degrees last night after work) so I ran on the treadmill for 3.5 miles today. First 25 minutes I was so bored and really having to force myself to go on, but then I got in the groove and finished strong. A workout's a workout, right?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Cold rain today (after a gorgeous bike ride in 70 degrees last night after work) so I ran on the treadmill for 3.5 miles today. First 25 minutes I was so bored and really having to force myself to go on, but then I got in the groove and finished strong. A workout's a workout, right?
    That's what I tell myself. I download Buddhist podcasts and listen about staying in the moment. Except that the moment sucks. Hmmm, maybe I should go back to Led Zepplin.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid