Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Continental GP 3000 - yes 3000 -

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I needed a new blue GP 4000, and my LBS's distributor had them on back order. I figured I'd go through another one soon enough, so I called around other LBS's in the region to see if anyone had one in stock.

Most places didn't. One shop (the one where I originally bought my bike, actually) actually called me back to tell me they had a blue GP 3000 in stock.

The 4000 I was replacing had a late '08 manufacture date, and it had already been dry-rotting for at least six months (yeah, that's how little I've been riding ).

I'm trying to decide how outraged to be (whether to just ignore them and never patronize them again, or whether to make sure everyone in the area knows that this shop is trying to pawn off unsafe equipment i.e. outdated tires). The best I can figure is that Conti stopped manufacturing the 3000 in 2005, as soon as they introduced the 4000. I can't find it on Conti's website ... does anyone know?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Did you get a look at the tire? I've often noticed NOS rubber seems okay. No idea why, just guessing: maybe it's the mold release? Or not being stressed (not inflated)? Stored indoors?? Maybe a rubber chemist can help explain it?!?

If you looked at the tire and it was dry rotting, then of course don't buy it! I'd flex the tread to open up any dry rot cracks that might be there so I can see them, if they're there. I suppose in this case you could feel outraged if you like. But I'd be inclined to assume the help might not know as much about NOS rubber as you do. Maybe they need to be informed...

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

Production of the GP 3000 ended at least 3 years ago (could be closer to 5 years). I wouldn't pay more than $30 for one. And, I'd personally be mad if the shop didn't mention it being older (especially since it's that old).

Of the GP 4000 there is both blue and metallic blue. The regular blue is in stock. My LBS that I help out at will match the price you find online and can ship it to you for the cost of shipping. PM me for the shop's website and phone number if you'd like.
    Last edited by LivetoRide; 04-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

Thanks LtR - the shop I normally deal with finally got them in on Saturday. I've got my new front tire mounted and a spare for the rear.

I'm used to the MC world, where everyone knows that a tire that's more than about four years old is just dangerous. Even if there's no visible dry-rotting, the compounds get hard and won't stick to the pavement. So maybe I'm over-reacting, but when I buy a tire, I'm paying for traction.

Now granted, the visibly dry-rotted front tire that I just replaced is the same one that threw me over the bars in December , so it obviously had as much grip as it needed, then, at least in the center of the tire. I don't know about the sides ... I don't consider myself a super-aggressive cornerer ... although I just had it pointed out to me on the club ride yesterday that I carry more corner speed than any of the toughguys. But IAE, that tire was only two years out from manufacture, too.

No problem and glad to hear that you were able to get a set

Interesting to hear that that's how people in the MC world feel about tires. Now, here, if the tread isn't too worn, it's not dry-rotted, and there are no large chunks missing, a tire is generally considered OK (as far as I know).
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

How do you read the manufacture date on the Conti GP4000s?

I just purchased a set online and before I put them on my bike, I want to check the manufacture date.

I searched the website, around the internet and emailed Continental through their website. Didn't find anything and have not heard back from them.

This is what I found the tires:

23-622 C 210

E4 (w/a circle around the E4) 88 R -

Any info is appreciated!
    dt

They used to be date-coded just like motor vehicle tires, with a four-digit code designating the week and year (last two digits).

I'd already noticed that they've stopped doing that, which is disappointing.

I think the crossed circle and the following digit is the new date code, but that's totally a guess. If this is correct, I'm guessing that the dots inside the circle represent the month, and the single digit represents the year.

It seems to jibe with the tires on my bike now and the couple of old ones I have lying around.

But I'd want to hear that from Conti (or know that it's a new standard for bici tires) before I'd rely on it.

Thanks for the info. I wish the manufacturers made it easier to read this stuff.

My circle with a cross has 3 and 2 dots with a 1 on the outside of the circle. Hmmm.

Yes, I will wait for the final word from Conti. Just wish they would reply and hopefully it will be in English. I sent the email in English and got a German reply of something about thank you we received your email....according to google translation. But even that was limited. Google couldn't translate the first half of the long sentence.

If I hear anything I'll be sure to post in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again!
    dt

If I'm guessing right, then your manufacture date would be May of 2011. I'll take that as another data point in support of my guess. But yeah, I wouldn't rely on that.

I'm such a goof! When I saw 3 and 2, I thought 32 (huh?). Not 3+2.

Oak, I think you are on to something. The tires look good and are supple. No dryness or cracking.

I just sent Continental another email but to a different department. Obviously I'm not that swift and maybe I sent the first one to the wrong department. Sigh...

Thanks!

dt

Manufacture date

Finally! I got a reply from Continental about manufacture date. In fairness, the guy said there was a system glitch and my email took a long time to get through. He has been very prompt to reply with my follow ups.

Hmm, I'm trying to copy portions of the email so readers can see the actual response. It won't let me copy or I am doing something wrong.

Ok, well to sum it up, Oak you were right about the circle and number just outside of it.

He said on the sidewall there is a pie chart divided into quarters and a number bottom right of it. The small dots within the quadrants represent the months (Jan through Dec) and the single digit bottom right represents the year.

I've been riding these tires for a couple of weeks now. They are nice!