Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow. Hadn't thought about kitten proofing. Our bunnies were in one room and we only bunny-proofed when we let them out to run around with us in the den.

When my first bunny had free run of my old place, it was like having a perpetual toddler in the house. I was always 2 steps behind, undoing the damage and trying to anticipate where the cyclone would strike next! Looks like we'll be heading back into that territory, huh? Fun!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

)

Ho, boy.

Kitt-ems had their first vet visit today and it was a doozy.

Both got first distemper shot and we put them on their "Kitten program" - with a full range of visits and shots at a discounted rate (not including additional meds, if needed, and spay/neuter, which will come later).

Paris had tapeworms (ewwww...) and both got some gel goo slabbed on their neck for it. No active flea infestations so he likely ate one at some point but isn't carrying them around (thankful for small favors).

Both show FIV positive - but vet thinks it MAY be maternal antibodies and suggests re-testing at 6 mos and 12 mos.

Zoe came back slightly positive (as it, the dot was really light, but vet had to call it a positive) for FeLV.

Very, very bummed that these guys did not get a clean bill of health from the get-go. SIL is very upset at the news from the vet. But that means they're in for it with the remaining two that are still at their house.

Any advice or recommendations?? (looks like they will be our only cats, and strictly indoor cats, now!)

like the vet said, maternal antibodies... retesting... if they're healthy indoor cats, so what?
    healthy being the operative word.
    I have never heard of gel for tapeworm, that's great!
    photos please?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Well, that's kind of what DH and I figure - we'll care for them as best we can, love 'em, give 'em a good home - with lots of lap time, good food, good water, exercise, and good vet care - and hope for the best.

Here are some pix....all, strangely, of them sleeping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleepy-Pair-resized.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	13046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SleepyParis-resized.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SleepyZoe-resized.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	13048  

They are so adorable. I just love kittens!

As for their positive tests: I really wouldn't be surprised if they tested negative later, as they are still young enough--as the vet as suggested--that the tests may just be picking up their mother's antibodies. That said, has the mother herself ever been tested? If the kittens picked up something from her in utero then, presumably, she will test positive for either or both disease. I would assume that her test will be conclusive.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Right now, our kitten is obsessed with our bathroom sink. The minute you head for the bathroom or she hears the water running, she's there in a flash. It's hard to brush our teeth!
    Not just kittens. My 4-yr old cat is also fixated on the bathroom. She wants to drink from the drippy faucet, not running mind you, dripping. Go to the toilet, think she's sleeping, and TA-DA! There she is on the sink trying to figure out how to make it go.

Hope your kittens get a clean bill of health on their next vet visit.
    Beth

a TORBIE!! awwwwwwwwww
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I could always find one of our cats by the sheer act of walking into the bathroom - he'd come from anywhere to join me!

One of mine had an equivocal blood test when I got him, with follow-up negative. My sister had one that had a positive test and then follow-up was negative. If that helps at all.

And I too thought the thread title was bout a 7 week old getting their own kitty

I love these little guys and promise you they will bring you much enjoyment!!

There is a new "dewormer" on the market that is applied like Frontline. It is a broad spectrum dewormer and works well.

Follow up with the retesting, until then please keep them inside and enjoy them. Did their mom test positive?

Enjoy your new additions. There is nothing like a kitten or two to brighten up a house and bring an endless supply of love into one's heart.
    Marcie

Momma cat hasn't been tested.

BIL/SIL are beside themselves, upset that babies have FIV/FeLV (maybe on both). I think they worry that they gave us "defective" cats...but we've tried to reassure them that they have a good indoor home, we have no other cats to worry about, and that we'll do what we can to keep them healthy and happy. Frankly, I think they're more upset than we are.

Momma cat is about 8 years old and the apparent picture of health. Her feral nature (hissing, particularly at SIL) makes their care thus far limited to food/shelter, and sending son off to be neutered (don't think he was tested before that appointment, but my DH doesn't always ask the big questions ). Momma cat has such a visit of her own, soon. I hope they test but given her history, I think we can pretty much figure out what the results would be. Meanwhile, the remaining two kittens will stay with SIL/BIL in NY and not be adopted out.

The vet gave us lysine to add to their food to keep up their immune system. They chowed it down in record time.

Re-tests are definitely in order.

BTW...I had to look up "Torbie" cuz I had no idea what that meant!

her multicolored toes gave it away...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    her multicolored toes gave it away...
    DH wanted to name her "Goldfinger" or "Gert" after the actor who played "Goldfinger" in that movie. I quickly nixed that idea!

Even if it turns out that the kittens are FIV positive, they can have quality of life unlike people with AIDS. You just have to watch their health. The cats do need to be indoor to protect their health!

here is a link FIV cat care and read item #3 and #8.

Hope this helps.

Any new photos?

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
    Any new photos?
    I'll have to post some soon.

They are going in to be spayed/neutered tomorrow. Big day for them!
    They are getting BIG...especially Paris. A rock solid big boy.

Like others have noted, Paris is really fond of the sink, loves to drink the running water and snorts the overflow hole (blech) - and is usually standing outside the tub when I've showered...ready to jump in and lick around the drain. Yes...he has a ready supply of fresh water - we have one of those fountain bowls that constantly filters water and sends it down as a water stream so it's moving for them. He also dives for bags (my pannier, duffel bags, grocery bags, whatever) and shoes. Just can't get enough of rolling around in and on them.

SIL/BIL's kittens (my guys littermates) got spayed/neutered last week and they came back FIV negative. Yay!! We're hoping for similar news with our guys this week.