Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Road bike vs. Hybrid

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm new to riding a road bike and I'm still getting over some issues, such as traffic, downhills and stopping with out feeling like I'm going to wobble all over the place. I know that practice make perfect... but wanted some advise.

For whatever reason, I feel more confident on a hybrid...i know that it's not as fast as a road bike, and heavier...but is it a good idea to get comfortable out riding on the road on a hybrid first then transition back to my road bike? Or should I just go out there on my road bike and practice till I feel confortable?

Kitsune06 Guest
    What I'd suggest is taking your road bike to the paths and country roads where you won't be disturbed so much by stopping and starting and get familiar with her, and while you're still getting acquainted with her in relative safety, keep using your hybrid for work/commuting/etc. The road (but mostly drivers) is scary enough, you shouldn't have to also worry about how you're using your bike.

great advice! thank you!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, if you have any roads near you where you can just cruise around in low-traffic that would be good to get comfortable with.
    When I first got my road bike it was a little scary for me, i went to the big school parking lots on Sundays when they were almost empty. That's where I could really practice stopping and starting, and the best was riding figure 8's of various sizes, getting used to turning and leaning, stopping suddenly, starting up. That practice really helped me when i later got into busier roads and traffic.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My personal feeling is that practicing on the hybrid will not make you feel more confident on the road bike. It's just such a different feeling and riding position. I have no worries when riding my hybrid, but on the road bike I'm nervous about hills, downhill, turning quickly, sudden stops...and then add the fact that I have clipless pedals, it's all the more nerve-wracking!!!

So...like BleeckerSt Girl, I've been practicing in empty parking lots. I'm nowhere near ready for uphill/downhill or traffic!

I agree with all that has been said here. It might be good to get your confidence up on a hybrid bike, but it will be a different animal than a road bike in some ways. From that point of view, you might have to re-teach yourself when you get back on your road bike. The exercises are a great idea, as well as getting to an area with less traffic. I do mainly trail riding, so a hybrid is better for me as a starter bike, but I can't wait to get a roadie!

Good luck, and keep practicing!

How long does it take(generally) to get comfortable ? 5,10,20 rides ? Really curious because I have a Flat Bar Trek 7.3 FX I purchased last year. I ended up riding 100+miles each week, and regret not going for a true Road bike, BUT, admittedly I'm a little nervous because I'm very confident on the 7.3FX.
    I regret it because of the limited positions, which I'm always improvising(LOL).