Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    lots of yahoos out there think just because they see you they must be racing you...
    I have no illusions that I'm racing anybody. I'm a 205 lb middle-aged chick who rides steel touring bikes with BMX pedals and saddles with springs and hardly ever gets going faster than 16 mph.

These boys have to be damned tired for ME to pass them!

It is just a hoot to bust a gut on my inappropriate bikes and pass these exhausted young things who usually breeze right by me without a thought.

Just like it's a hoot when some guy my age calls me "Miss" instead of "Ma'am."

It's all in good fun, and it's all in the privacy of my own head.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I let riders know I'm passing as common courtesy. I know how startled I've been in the past when a rider has come seemingly out of nowhere and passed me without notice--and I have a small bar-end mirror, but during some lighting conditions it can be hard to see anything with the mirror.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I know exactly how you feel! It is a rare event that my little riding group overtakes and passes a fellow roadie, so when we do, we wait a respectful distance so he/she doesn't hear us, and then we definitely do a little celebrating! Of course, we usually follow that with some remarks like "well, they were probably finishing up a century ride" or maybe "I'll bet they are recovering from some injury" just to keep us humble

As far as calling out, it depends. If I overtake someone who doesn't obviously know I am there, then I always call out. If we have been passing back and forth or riding fairly close together and are aware of each other, then not necessarily.

I was on a big organized ride last weekend and rode a little while with a lady who drove me crazy! She called out EVERYTHING... I appreciate that up to a point, but she was a just annoying after a while.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Thank you to those who understood why I was excited that I finally was able to pass someone (who had passed me earlier himself). I don't race and don't have any illusions of being a racer. I'm a sucky climber due to being overweight and I am used to being passed by roadies on every ride, even though I'm normally also on a road bike instead of my hybrid.

The road I was on was not in the city. It was a nice wide, safe, suburban road. Plenty of room.

Let me remind those who are criticizing me that this guy made a conscious effort to pass me first on the descent I had just passed him on. He didn't say a word to me as he passed me. As far as I know, he was racing me. If that's the case, it's game on, baby

Roadtrip started a similar thread here on 3-16. I didn't see a bunch of people criticizing her for being proud of passing a guy. Why is that, hmm?

I may be a newbie here, unlike Roadtrip, but I'm not into the whole "initiation" thing. I can hold my own

There is no initiation.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    There is no initiation.

Veronica
    I was being half-serious, hence the "". I just thought it was odd that I got negative reactions and Roadtrip didn't. Maybe because I posted the video?

Since you asked...

I didn't read her thread until you linked to it. I think it was a tone thing. My perception was that she proud of how far she has come and acknowledged that maybe the guy wasn't "racing". Your post made me think you were gloating. Not that's there's anything wrong with that. I've been known to gloat. That may or may not be what you intended. But communication occurs in the mind of the listener (reader.)

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Since you asked...

I didn't read her thread until you linked to it. I think it was a tone thing. My perception was that she proud of how far she has come and acknowledged that maybe the guy wasn't "racing". Your post made me think you were gloating. Not that's there's anything wrong with that. I've been known to gloat. That may or may not be what you intended. But communication occurs in the mind of the listener (reader.)

Veronica
    That's the problem with the printed word vs. speaking with someone face-to-face. This isn't the first time my posts on the internet have been taken out of context. No, I wasn't gloating. I was just happy to finally be making progress. Especially since I am experiencing a weight loss plateau right now, which is frustrating.

I didn't think you were gloating. You seemed to be happy at an achievement, and many of us use this forum to celebrate individual achievements. Don't worry about it. Keep riding and celebrating when you pass a roadie! I'll celebrate with you.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I didn't think you were gloating. You seemed to be happy at an achievement, and many of us use this forum to celebrate individual achievements. Don't worry about it. Keep riding and celebrating when you pass a roadie! I'll celebrate with you.
    Thank you You hit the nail on the head

It wasn't so very long ago that I celebrated passing people who were running.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    It wasn't so very long ago that I celebrated passing people who were running.
    I still do.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

every time someone passes me and announces it i jump a bit and get very startled. i have a very strong startle response though and i realize most people don't. i really prefer people say nothing when they pass me.
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I was on a big organized ride last weekend and rode a little while with a lady who drove me crazy! She called out EVERYTHING... I appreciate that up to a point, but she was a just annoying after a while.
    Hey! That was me "car back" when there's nobody near me, pointing out stuff on the road "tracks pop tart wrapper pez dipsenser " calling out "on your right" as people pass me.

I'm so slow I'm having my name legally changed to "on your left". I get called that so often. I apreciate all of you calling out. OTOH it's a hoot on those rare times I get to pass someone. Especially when I'm on an innapropriate bike like commuter loaded with produce and groceries.

It's rare but fun when it happens.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I don't understand the point of the criticism. This is supposed to be a supportive community. IMO if you can't be supportive or encouraging, keep your comments to yourself.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if the guy was spinning as hard as he could or having a rest day. You accomplished something that made you proud of yourself. That's cause for a mini-celebration in my book
    "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."