Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CSA questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I saw the list of everything they grow at this farm and about the only items I would not really care for are kale or beets.
    I blend kale up in berry smoothies, it hides the taste. And I also like to make kale chips.

LOL, I have an odd love of beets, so those are never an issue for me :-)
    Last edited by paiger81; 04-12-2011 at 10:22 AM.

There are so many varieties of kale, it's only the "classic" green curly kale that can be a little strong sometimes. If you're lucky they'll have red Russian kale, so tender and sweet and delicious that my dog used to eat it right out of my shopping bag if I wasn't careful.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Kale in soups is excellent! Also, roasted beets are like candy to a baby! Luv, luv them!

I'm glad you posted this question about CSAs, it prompted me to go sign up again for ours here in town; it is approximately $20 per week for a 1/2 share.

They also have a small store where they sell local poultry, beef, veges, honey, etc. on a daily basis too so you can pick up things there without being signed up for a weekly share. It is really cool! I almost picked up some things, but remembered that I won't be cooking much for the next two days due to other things going on in the evening.

I'll check on Friday, so I can have some really fresh peas for the weekend.

I just got back from picking up my CSA half-share order ($45 for me, all organic, 85% local), so I took a pic of it for you to see, hoping this gives you an idea:

All of this was my standard order - the beets and the green onions were part of my "optionals" (we get 3 optional items to choose from out of a selection of 8 veggies. The beets count as 2 options)

I pay $140 for an 8-week season at my CSA. I bought the couples share since my 2 teenage daughters can be picky about what fruits and veggies they eat. It's always plenty of produce for the three of us. I also only do the early and mid season since my girls don't really care for fall produce. Here's a sample of what we get (taken straight from the CSA website:

Early Season - Choice of fruit (ie. strawberries, cherries, peaches), 3 lbs vegetables, you-pick, (ie. tomatoes, squash/zucchini, potatoes, onions, cucumbers), 4 bunched items, you-pick (ie. asparagus, carrots, arugula, lettuce, spinach, beets)
    Mid Season - 5 lb basket of fruit, you-pick (ie. peaches, donut peaches, plums, nectarines), 5 lbs vegetables, you-pick, (ie. tomatoes, squash/zucchini, potatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant), Pick 2 other items (ie. corn, melon, heirloom or cherry tomatoes, beans, blueberries/blackberries)
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Kale chips rock!!!

I get a little overwhelmed by dealing with all that produce at once and don't plan to do one this year I don't think.
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't subscribe to a CSA because I'm just one person and even a half-share is too much for me. I do grow alot of my own produce, however, and I'm currently swimming in kale and collards that have overwintered in my garden. I really like it just cooked down in some olive oil and garlic and served as a side dish to fish or chicken. It's also very good in omelettes instead of spinach, just cook it a bit before you add the eggs. Kale chips are great, too, very tasty and easy to make.

I don't currently grow any fruit other than strawberries, and I miss the fruit that I would get from a CSA. I plan to plant some raspberries this year, though, and maybe even a few apple trees if I get really productive. The local farmers markets provide what I don't grow.

I really like the idea of CSAs, but it's just too much for one person, in my experience.

Csa?

I'd never heard of a CSA thing here in Perth and thought it wouldn't be that common in Western Australia. Yup..only one in Wa & the rest in NSW ..typical! http://www.ecodirectory.com.au/index...d-agriculture/

Until....I searched & found.....http://www.biodynamic-food.com/commu...riculture.html

It does seem a bit expensive if it's only my dear n i purchasing the items..http://www.biodynamic-food.com/vegetables.html

Interesting...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by paiger81 View Post
    I just got back from picking up my CSA half-share order ($45 for me, all organic, 85% local), so I took a pic of it for you to see, hoping this gives you an idea:
    How does your CSA work? I'm curious because I see a lot of produce stickers and semi-tropical stuff (I guess you're in Texas so some of it makes sense). Is it from a variety of local and non-local places? With the CSAs we've had it's all from one farm.

Ours is also all vegetable so I'm envious of your fruit. I saw a picture of a CSA share from Australia once and it was full of tropical fruit, I nearly moved there just to have mangoes in my box every week.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

My CSA is a partnership with 4 organic farms, 2 are within an hours drive (all of my greens come from Gunderman Farms, the strawberries and some fruit comes from Froberg Farm), 1 is in south Texas (primarily the citrus comes from that, I forget its name, its near Mercedes, TX, but they do give us mangos too) and the 4th is, not local but is organic and the pineapple and the bananas come from there.

Quote Originally Posted by paiger81 View Post
    My CSA is a partnership with 4 organic farms, 2 are within an hours drive (all of my greens come from Gunderman Farms, the strawberries and some fruit comes from Froberg Farm), 1 is in south Texas (primarily the citrus comes from that, I forget its name, its near Mercedes, TX, but they do give us mangos too) and the 4th is, not local but is organic and the pineapple and the bananas come from there.
    Mangoes and citrus! I do love greens and winter squash, but they ain't no mangoes.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I'm thinking of joining this one when I move for the new job (it's in a neighboring town): http://www.wolfpinefarm.com/

They have winter shares but not summer...hopefully I will be able to have a spot for a garden but if not I might have to look for another farm that does summer shares.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

This was our picks this week. Ours has a one-time $20 fee, and then you can pick and choose which weeks you want. Like I said, I think mine is kinda pricey, so unless it's all stuff I want, I've been passing on it.
    $20 Farmer's Pick
    Broccoli (GA) 3/4 pound
    Lettuce (AL) 1 head
    Mixed Roots (Al/GA/SC) 1.5 pounds
    Oranges (FL) 4
    Bell Pepper (FL) 1
    Sugar Snap Peas (GA) 1/2 pound

$30 Farmer's Pick
    Broccoli (GA) 3/4 pound Lettuce (AL) 2 heads
    Mixed Roots (Al/GA/SC) 1.5 pounds
    Oranges (FL) 4
    Bell Pepper (FL) 1
    Cherry Tomatoes (FL) 1 pint
    Sugar Snap Peas (GA) 1/2 pound
    Beets (GA) 1 bunch ~or~
    Beets (GA) 1 pound and Swiss Chard (AL) 1bunch
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Well I joined the CSA with 3 other women from my book club. So our individual weekly cost is only $7.00 each.

This is what we got in the first box:
    2 lb asparagus
    2 qt strawberries
    1 doz free range brown eggs
    2 Half-gallons apple cider
    1 lb rhubarb
    1 jar honey
    1 hydroponic cucumber
    1 head hydroponic arugula

The cider was frozen from last fall for the 1st CSA Box this season. The eggs are from a neighboring farm, as is the hydroponic cuke and arugula. Honey is from the bees used to pollinate the host farm. The strawberries are delicious!

I can see now that splitting this 4 ways is insane. What can I do with 2 or 3 stalks of rhubarb which is all I got? In the other hand, if I'd come home with nothing but asparagus and strawberries I would be a happy camper. I see an asparagus omlette on the menu this weekend.

Next year I think I have to spring for a full share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2295.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	13063