Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you deal with this...an allergy issue

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm on the way down to Nashville with a friend where we'll do a metric at the Natchez Trace CycleFest in five hours.

We are staying at his brother's house a couple hours north of Nashville - a neat old farm house in the country.

I'm in a bed that has the subtle mustiness that comes from being in a humid, un-air conditioned environment. MY ALLERGIES ARE IN TOTAL OVERDRIVE and I'm sleepless! I have always been sensitive to this; I remember once where it was terrible at a high rise hotel in downtown New Orleans where it was so humid that the A/C couldn't keep up.

How does one deal with this? Is there some travel solution that can mitigate the smell?

I'm about to spend more time on a bike then I will have spent sleeping...and that prospect isn't appealing...not to mention my present discomfort.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

You have my sympathy. Could you take a couple of anti-histamine tablets? It's just heading into tree pollen season here and we're all stocked up. Is there a 24hr pharmacy anywhere near?
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Don't know about the smell issue - do any of those febreeze things work? I use Zyrtec when the allergies or my system goes way into overdrive to the point of rashes.

good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Not that it will help you with last night's sleep ... but I take a Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate, the little yellow pillls) pretty much every night when my allergic load is very high, on top of the immunotherapy and loratadine and Singulair.

Diphenhydramine (benadryl) never does much for me in terms of allergy relief, but it will definitely knock you out, and if it works for you as an antihistamine, it's another option.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Nothing to offer, but you have my sympathy. As a raging insomniac, I usually do events - cycling, running, even trips out skiing* - on little or no sleep. It's become standard function for me.

* Home is at 350' elevation - first 4 nights or so at 9'000' in the Rockies usually lead to no sleep. I think by night 5, it's just sheer exhaustion that knocks me out.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Not that it will help you with last night's sleep ... but I take a Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate, the little yellow pillls) pretty much every night when my allergic load is very high, on top of the immunotherapy and loratadine and Singulair.

Diphenhydramine (benadryl) never does much for me in terms of allergy relief, but it will definitely knock you out, and if it works for you as an antihistamine, it's another option.
    Either one of those works well for me, but they knock me the heck out...like a drooling zombie. I've had better luck with Zyrtec (no luck with Allegra or Claritin). YMMV.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I am not an allergy sufferer (the only one in my whole family, oddly enough), but I can tell you what my father/brother do. They live in Houston and the pollen season here has been pretty bad already (we're almost to our summer season at this point), although not as bad as previous years.

Both of them use claritin or another OTC antihistamine product. We always keep Alaway (or another antihistamine eye drop) on hand for itchy, water eyes, especially after riding in tough winds that blow pollen all over you. They also frequently wash their bedding and use hypoallergenic pillows. When they travel, they bring their own pillows.

Another thing you can do is to get one of those netti-pot type products meant for people with congested sinuses during cold/flu season. You can flush your sinuses with that or a saline rinse to help decrease the pollen load that gets sucked up your face as you breathe. My brother has had good success with doing this after riding around in Houston daily. We like to say, Dilution is the Solution to Pollution.

I saw someone else mention that you could spray Febreeze to lessen the musty smell. My only thought on this is that, if it's as humid as it seems where you are, the Febreeze will never dry, and you'll be stuck in a musty/Febreezy bed that is also damp. Humidity sucks... I am so glad I am moving to the desert soon.

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Another thing you can do is to get one of those netti-pot type products meant for people with congested sinuses during cold/flu season. You can flush your sinuses with that or a saline rinse to help decrease the pollen load that gets sucked up your face as you breathe. My brother has had good success with doing this after riding around in Houston daily. We like to say, Dilution is the Solution to Pollution.
    Oh, yes, the neti pot is priceless. I used to suffer 3-4 sinus infections/year. Now I am down to 1 maybe every-other year.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Allergies, are the easy part because as everyone said you can take something for that. The humidity/smell is the challenge here. The solution I would suggest is the same one uses in moist basements. Home Depot and such carry these desiccant bags that you can hang and will adsorb the smell and moisture. You might be able to hide them so as not to offend the host or your friend. Below is a link to a similar product just to give you and idea what to look for. Good luck

http://noodor.com/p/moisture-absorbi...emove-dry.html
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Oscar Wilde

+1 on the neti pot, and also washing your face before bed.

To keep your face off those moldy hotel pillows (and support your neck), I just take a bath towel, fold it in thirds, roll it and put it under my neck, to sleep on my back.

But the pollen this year has been insane, and the molds have come right up just as the pollen is going down. I've been fighting a raging case of allergic conjunctivitis (could hardly see out of my left eye), which I've never had to deal with before outside of very mild itching. My doctor prescribed Patanol eye drop$$ which only helped about halfway until the pollen came down a bit.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I got steroid nose spray from my doc.

It's pricey (and probably makes me ineligible for certain competitions), but I have permission to bump up the dose for situations like you describe.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Thanks for all the responses! Specifically, I'm concerned with addressing the musty smells since their impact on me is extreme. For various reasons, I'm unable to use antihistamines or steroids...

however, I like the Febreeze idea and will try that

Oh yeah +1 on neti pot!

A good air freshener like one of those plug-in warming units can really knock out a lot of stink.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    A good air freshener like one of those plug-in warming units can really knock out a lot of stink.
    Zoom, have you really had luck with plug ins? They put me into hyperdrive with sinus infections...plus I hear that they're aroma is highly toxic

Hmmm...I like the scented oil ones. I never liked the ones with the little rectangle of gel stuff. I wonder if there's a difference. Or what about a reed diffuser or something like that?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3