Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help for an incipient re-commuter...

To disable ads, please log-in.

10 years ago I was commuting ~3 days per week, 8 miles each way to work on my <gasp> purple Huffy bike. I loved taking that hunk-o-junk in for tune-ups at my local bike shop! That job folded in 2001 but I am now pleased to be in another job that is about 15 miles from home with good biking options to get there. There is also bus support for suddenly crappy days or misadventures.

I'm 48, in slightly better-than-average shape for my years. Cranky knees have been making me think that more time on bikes and less time on the treadmill could be ideal. However, despite my previous mantra of 'I don't need a more efficient bike, I'm working for a more efficient body', for this distance, I'm not thinking the Huffy will do! However I haven't a clue what to buy or how much I should think of spending.

Any recommendations? New/Used, Craig's list? And how do you figure out if the bike fits? My commute will be all paved, most along a highway with a wide shoulder, some on walking/bike paths and just a couple of blocks on neighborhood streets. Terrain is mostly flat with just a few hills. Work has showers and a locker room so I'll be loading up my old panniers and dressing at work.

I'm looking for a good balance between comfort & speed but will definitely compromise speed for comfort. Toying with the idea of getting an electric hybrid bike. My father-in-law in The Netherlands has one (he's 80) and it's the bomb!
    Not sure that it's a good idea for the budget, or the exercise plan, though.

Thanks!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Glad you're considering jumping back on the bike and commuting again. Woot!!!

I just adore Surly's. The Cross Check is my next bike build... drool...
    http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/
    They are super sturdy- and an incredible value for the price.

Or how about a flat-bar road bike (hybrid) like the Cannondale Quick?
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/recr...creation/quick
    I can't tell if it has eyelets for a rear rack or not, tho.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

no advice but I wanted to cheer you on!!
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

You should probably start your search with a trip to a bike shop to test ride some bikes. Any type of bike can be a commuter. I've commuted for several years on a racing bikes. I now also have a 'cross bike that has a rack, but I commuted for a long time without it. I just didn't carry anything.

As for brands, I'm a huge fan of Soma Fabrications (maker of my Doublecross DC). The quality of the ride is excellent, and they have several models that are perfect for commuting, with eyelets for racks and fenders. I also think they're really reasonably priced for what your getting. http://www.somafab.com/index.html
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Red- you said Soma. That made me think of their mixte... and I started drooling. Maybe *that's* my next bike build.... love that mixte of theirs.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I know! I love that bike. You need it.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm pretty sure if I buy that bike, it will come with divorce papers. It took a LOT of convincing from the DH, but I finally sold 2 of my bikes that I hardly ever rode. I'm finally down to 3 bikes (well, 4, but the 4th is headed to the homeless shelter soon). Don't enable me!

Now, the OP needs that mixte for SURE!!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Thanks for the suggestions. Weather is expected to be crummy here on Sunday so I'll see if I can find my way to a bike shop and try a few to get some ideas. Then, thanks to your suggestions, I'll also be surfing Craig's list and deciding what my budget is for this.

I can hardly wait to ride!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Or how about a flat-bar road bike (hybrid) like the Cannondale Quick?
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/recr...creation/quick
    I can't tell if it has eyelets for a rear rack or not, tho.
    Just wanted to chime in that it does have the eyelets :-) I checked that when I test rode one last night. I am only 8 miles from work, so I might be commuting as well. Even though I think I'm leaning towards a Cannondale Adventure 3.