Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

shorts and chamois for wide-ish sit bones

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but most of the threads are pretty old, and I doubt that the chamois even exist as the same design that has been discussed. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any shorts that are exactly what I'm looking for. (I know, it's unlikely, but I'm hopeful!)

I've got some Shebeest SSS shorts that I really like with the Shelastic chamois, but after 40 miles or so my sit bones start to ache. It's not insurmountable, but it's going to hurt on a century that I'm doing in a couple of weeks. So I got some new shorts last week with thicker padding: Sugoi Evolution Shorty's with the RC Pro chamois. I rode 75 miles last weekend, and after about 40, they hurt. After 50, they HURT, and by the time I got home, I wouldn't have been sitting on the saddle at all, except that my legs were too tired to suspend my body over it!

The next day, I tried on both shorts and compared the bruises on my butt to where the chamois is in the shorts. It turns out that on the Evolutions, my sit bones are right on the edge of the chamois, on the thinnest part. On the SSS, they're still on the edge, but at least in the middle thickness of the chamois, not the thinnest. And both chamois are plenty wide further up my butt, where I would never have any pressure from the saddle!

So basically, I guess I'm too wide for the chamois, but I know there are people out there that are wider than me! I have unscientifically figured out (from sitting on a piece of cardboard) that my sit bones are 130mm wide. Judging by the shorts I have, I think I need a chamois that is shorter front to back, and wider in the middle or at least wider just to the rear of the middle.

To make things more difficult, I really don't like long shorts. I like a 5-6 inch inseam, which most shorts don't come in! And I really like the low rise waist of the SSS.

Any ideas? Or if anyone knows of a chamois that would be right, I'll start there and search that way. Thanks!

you might call Team Estrogen on their toll free number, they have dozens of kinds of shorts and are experts.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Thanks! I'll try that!

I second the idea of talking to TE. When I realized that I was sitting *just* at the edge of the Terry chamois (I think it is the same as the Shebeest one), I had TE measure a bunch of chamois for me. At the time Craft had a wider chamois. I found the Craft short too short, but it might work for you.

Currently, I only wear Boure Elite shorts ( http://www.boure.com/1650.html ). I have them make me up a custom short because I want a longer inseam. If the chamois worked for you, but you didn't like the length or the rise, you could try talking to them. I've been quite pleased with their customer service.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

I called the TE 800 number, and talked to Anna yesterday. She was very helpful and knowledgeable, and I ordered a pair of PI Sugars. If they don't work, I'll send them back and start over!