Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Chamois

Chamois

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello: I have seen cyclists who are wearing their chamois cycling shorts over top of their tights. Now I know some people do not adhere to the 'no underwear' tenet, but I'm still curious.

Are they:
    a) wearing underwear, then their tights, then their chamois cycling shorts?
    b) wearing no underwear, then their tights, then their chamois cycling shorts?
    c) wearing chamois tights AND chamois cycling shorts?
    d) wearing some other configuration I haven't imagined?

The reason that I ask is thus: For colder weather cycling I have been wearing a pair of chamois cycling underwear with a pair of cycling tights over top. This produces somewhat unsightly bulges in my thigh area that I am fairly self-conscious about. Wearing shorts (not the chamois underwear) over top seemed like it could reduce this. Anyways, I'm sure I can figure out the right combo for me, but I was so curious about those other cyclists I see that I swear are wearing chamois shorts on the outer layer. Any insights?

Thanks,
    Zaelia
    Last edited by Zaelia; 04-04-2011 at 08:15 PM.

I could be wrong, but I bet you've seen some people wearing shorts with leg warmers. They usually tuck them under the leg opening of their shorts so that they stay up, but I can see why it would look like they're wearing tights under their shorts.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

When you wear tights, they are usually of the unpadded variety, if you are wearing your cycling shorts underneath. Underwear is not involved anywhere.
    Indy, I have actually seen people doing what the OP talked about. Mostly in the city, "unusual" types of cyclists.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I forgot about leg warmer! I guess I didn't think of leg warmers because I found leg warmers to be unreliable at staying in place and spent most of my time riding pulling the darn things up. Maybe they have better ones than I have.
    Last edited by Zaelia; 04-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I've never liked leg warmers, but I know a lot of people who wear and like them. I can't otherwise imagine wearing tights under my cycling shorts. Like you, I wear my shorts under my tights. I hate having two waistbands binding me. Neither are tight on their own, but together I find them uncomfortable. I'm thinking about investing in a pair of padded tights. I otherwise like knickers for days that are cool, but not cold.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I've never liked leg warmers, but I know a lot of people who wear and like them. I can't otherwise imagine wearing tights under my cycling shorts. Like you, I wear my shorts under my tights. I hate having two waistbands binding me. Neither are tight on their own, but together I find them uncomfortable. I'm thinking about investing in a pair of padded tights. I otherwise like knickers for days that are cool, but not cold.
    X100!!! This is what I have gone to wearing on cold rides (padded tights), because I could not stand having two waistbands digging into my tummy. I especially HATE drawstrings! Late last season, I discovered a pair of PI Elite Thermal Cycling tights (with the Elite 3D pad) that have a wonderfully comfortable WIDE waistband that stays up on me without the use of a dreaded drawstring. It is now my go-to tight that I've been wearing until it gets warm enough for knickers or shorts.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I'm ok with more layers if the outside ones are a bigger size-- big enough to look ridiculous on me without layers underneath.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Late last season, I discovered a pair of PI Elite Thermal Cycling tights (with the Elite 3D pad) that have a wonderfully comfortable WIDE waistband that stays up on me without the use of a dreaded drawstring. It is now my go-to tight that I've been wearing until it gets warm enough for knickers or shorts.
    I'm glad you posted this. I have the same tights without the chamois and I HATE the drawstring and wearing them over a pair of shorts. I think that is contributing to my crotch issues.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I had a couple of pairs of shorts that came with a drawstring. I pulled the drawstring out. It's not necessary.

But anyway. Regarding the OP, if you wear unpadded tights under bike shorts, you'll probably wind up with seams in painful places. To me, preventing pain is more important than the way tights-over-shorts looks.

Chamois tights under chamois shorts would also be painful. Too much bunching of fabric and padding would lead to chafing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I've never had an issue with wearing tights over cycling shorts. My shorts don't have drawstrings and if tights come with one, I pull it out, if they are tight enough without it. Maybe I am just used to that "tight" feeling?
    As far as the leg warmers go, I can only wear mine with my Terry Bella shorts. The high amount of lycra holds them up well and the shorts are longer than my Shebeest S Pros. I also bought leg warmers that are for women, that come in actual sizes, from Sheila Moon. That's what really helped.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport