Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Flax Seed Oil

Flax Seed Oil

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do any of you take flax seed oil? Not the capsule, but the actual oil in a bottle? I decided to start taking it because my skin and nails have been so dry.

I am taking a tablespoon a day and just trying to figure out how to take it that is palatable but does not add too many extra calories. I read that if it is taken with cottage cheese (or any protein, i would imagine) that it is more synergistic. I tried that, it is not bad, but I certainly don't enjoy it. I was just going to add it to my almost daily cottage cheese (that I love) but I am not going to because I don't enjoy it as much. I put it in a little cup with some water this morning and did it like a shot.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Try it over a salad as part of the dressing. Also, you can put it in a sub instead of mayo or oil. Mix it in with a chicken or egg salad sandwich, cutting back the mayo so it doesn't get too wet. Don't cook directly with it, since heat does bad things to it. I get the Suddenly Salad pasta salad and instead of putting olive oil or vegetable oil in the mix, I put in the flax oil. I add parmesan and it helps the flavor. Well, parmesan is just good stuff period. It's just another excuse for me to put it in something. I would however suggest that you also do the capsules. It's hard to find stuff all of the time for the straight oil, unless you are willing to just gulp a tablespoon down. On those days, pop a cap on yourself. Caps are also easier/cleaner to tote along for lunch at work.

Drizzle a little on pizza too, tuna sandwiches... You don't have to do the whole tbsp at one meal.

We also got it in fluid form because our girl kitty has dry skin. Her fur is like a bunny rabbit but just has dry skin. The 2 boys are fine. We drop a few drops in her food and she eats it right down. The boys don't like it so, it also keeps them from eating her food. Win-win.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Thanks for the suggestions! The reason that I started taking the liquid is that I was already taking to gel cap things a day and I still had dry skin. I believe that it would take something like 14 caps to equal one tablespoon of oil.

I'll try to add a little to different things during the day and if I don't get it all in, then I'll do the flax shot at night, LOL!
    Mary

My sister the acupuncture doctor recommended to me Udo's Oil, and it really seems to help when I need the extra anti-inflammatory boost. Don't bother with oils that aren't kept refrigerated with a short shelf life, the active compounds are pretty unstable.

It's also plenty easy to grind your own flax seeds in a mini-chopper or bladed spice grinder and sprinkle them over cereal or salads - same kinds of foods where you'd use the oil.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I looked at the udo brand, but it is so expensive. The flaxseed oil has the same omega3,6,9 profile as the udo and the whole food's brand is a third of the price.
    Mary

I use more ground flax than flax oil, but either way I put it in smoothies with lots of fruit. Can't even tell it's there.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    I use more ground flax than flax oil, but either way I put it in smoothies with lots of fruit. Can't even tell it's there.
    Same here...whenever I make a smoothie I throw in a tablespoon or two of ground flaxseed and it really doesn't make it taste any different.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I use a heaping teaspoon of ground flax (I use Bob's Red Mill brand) in my greek yogurt everyday. It adds a nice texture to it. I also will sprinkle a teaspoon onto my oatmeal sometimes.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155