Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

The overnight bike camping trip tried to happen, but didn't

To disable ads, please log-in.

the title should read:
    The overnight bike camping trip that tried to happen, but didn't. I wish I could change that.

A friend and I had planned an overnight mini-tour this weekend. We were going to ride 45 miles to a state park, camp out, then ride back home. We knew a couple things: there was going to be a 25 mph headwind on the way down, but a 35 mph tailwind on the way back home and everytime we get together for an adventure, we always wind up with more than we asked for (and that was especially true today).
    Here's a (not so) brief run-down of what went right and wrong today:

difficult headwind
    beautiful sunshine
    great roads
    even better trails
    found a quarter
    rear brake rubbing on friend's bike- fixed
    rear rack rubbing on friend's back wheel (rubbed so bad it wore the metal smooth but didn't harm the tire
    fixed the rack/rigged it as best we could- thought we could make it 17 more miles
    made it to our lunch stop and ate lunch
    more brutal headwind
    more beautiful sunshine
    got to police blocking road because of a grass fire
    7 mile hilly detour (part of it walking 1/4 mile on a gravel road)
    brutal headwind
    heavy traffic
    rear rack rubbing again
    miles clicking by- feeling good
    within 11 miles of the state park- woo hoo
    rear rack breaks, bolts fall off, irreparable
    duct tape rack so back wheel will spin freely
    load all bags on my bike
    within 3 miles of another campground
    walk 3 miles on a gravel road uphill to campground
    get to campground and it's on fire (the fire from before spread)
    fire trucks everywhere- no camping
    bike can't be ridden, campground on fire, tired ladies
    called husband and he drove the 30 min. to come get us

Despite the difficulty we kept laughing and "bright side-ing" it. We had a blast, and even tho we were disappointed we didn't make it, we had a blast anyway. Plus, we think of it as a good training day: riding 50 miles in a tough headwind the whole way with a 60 lb bike (bike + load).

Here's a couple pictures from the day:
    1. starting the day optimistically
    2. ZOO! I love our city's zoo
    3. riding one of our city trails- one I hadn't ridden before
    4. the fire that caused the detour and was burning in the campground
    5. my bike and the fire trucks in the background
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2935.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	12920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2939.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	12921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2940.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	12922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	12923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2962.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	12924  

Last edited by Tri Girl; 04-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

It just wasn't meant to be, was it? What a story!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Hey, nice try. You learned a bunch, and it will be a smooth adventure next time. Wind in New Mexico yesterday was enough to make you cry, and we had a big canyon grass fire, also. Must be the season for it.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Glad you made it out of that one! Sounds like those fires were moving fast.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Thanks! The wind was demoralizing. I mean, we have wind all the time in OK, but 50 miles of it just sucked the life force out of me. Such is spring in OK. At some points we were pedaling as hard as we could and were only doing 6 mph on a FLAT road.

We were glad we weren't in any danger from the fires. My friend had tried putting a rack on her nice road bike for this trip- and since her bike doesn't have any braze-ons, she had to put the rack on with padded p-clamps. She found online directions and did it. The rack she bought on eBay was a piece of junk. The metal bent and it broke under the weight. If she'd gone with a better rack, I think it would have been fine. The p-clamps worked well, except that one rubbed the paint off her seatstay. She was cursing herself and wishing she'd just bought a child trailer instead (or a better rack). It was her first attempt at touring and she liked it, despite the mechanical issues. Live and learn.

OTOH- my Bianchi Eros that I built up a few months ago performed FLAWLESSLY while fully loaded. That thing is a tank and handled like a dream. I was very pleased in the gearing I chose and the components I put on it. I can't wait to take it out for a tour again! I found out my front tire has a huge gash in it, I'm assuming from walking on the gravel for 3 miles.
    My DH frowns upon me traveling alone (he worries about my safety/vulnerability- much more than me) so I have to have someone to do things with. Otherwise I'd be out doing sub24 hour tours every other weekend.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

The campground was on FIRE? Helluva'n excuse to get picked up

I love zoos too..
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    The rack she bought on eBay was a piece of junk. The metal bent and it broke under the weight. If she'd gone with a better rack, I think it would have been fine.
    When I got my rack, I asked my lbs guy how much weight it could take, and he said a basic rule of thumb is one dollar per lb.

I have a habit of thinking up bike movie plots, and a fire in the campground could be good.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    When I got my rack, I asked my lbs guy how much weight it could take, and he said a basic rule of thumb is one dollar per lb.
    Then her rack could only hold about 11 lbs. No wonder it bent.

Fire in the campground. Stupid people. The news said it was someone who started a campfire. Even tho we are in the most severe drought we've had since the Dust Bowl of the 20's, there is a burn ban in 70 counties in the state, and there are signs all over the campground warning of no fires.
    Again: stupid people!!!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Good try! Trips like that are the stuff of memories.

I think you and your friend did an awesome job! 50 miles with that kind of wind!?! Both of you rock!

Glad you weren't in danger from the fires, and hope there isn't any real damage to your friend's bike...

Great adventures make the best stories

Sounds like you have found a good friend to "tour" with considering she said she had fun despite the wind, mechanical problems and a fire. My husband feels the same as yours - he doesn't like me out there by myself either.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Great fun and workout! Thanks for sharing. I'm like you, hate having to cry uncle but you had reason to! Touring/camping is something I'm thinking about doing with my son.
    The world is like a mirror you see? smile and your friends smile back.

Thanks, everyone! We did have a good time- despite the challenges!!!

I talked to my friend last night.
    She went ahead and bought a $150 Tubus rear rack that has a carrying capacity of 80 lbs, fits on her rear skewer (since she has no eyelets) and will NOT break down. She said a month ago she would NEVER have spent that much, but after breaking down in the middle of nowhere, she doesn't mind spending the money and has learned her lesson- you get what you pay for.
    Her last rack was aluminum, cost $11 and was held onto the frame with padded p-clamps (which was a good idea, but it just couldn't handle the weight- and one of the rubber deals fell out and scratched her beautiful racing frame to the bare metal).

The fact that she's still comitted after that fateful introduction to touring has me psyched!!! I can't wait to do it again!!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Thanks, everyone! We did have a good time- despite the challenges!!!

I talked to my friend last night.
    She went ahead and bought a $150 Tubus rear rack that has a carrying capacity of 80 lbs, fits on her rear skewer (since she has no eyelets) and will NOT break down. She said a month ago she would NEVER have spent that much, but after breaking down in the middle of nowhere, she doesn't mind spending the money and has learned her lesson- you get what you pay for.
    Her last rack was aluminum, cost $11 and was held onto the frame with padded p-clamps (which was a good idea, but it just couldn't handle the weight- and one of the rubber deals fell out and scratched her beautiful racing frame to the bare metal).

The fact that she's still comitted after that fateful introduction to touring has me psyched!!! I can't wait to do it again!!!
    Oh, I have been there.

My factory Trek's Bontrager rack broke with 20 lbs on it. (Rated for 50lbs.) the damage was intense. (The rack fell onto the wheel while I was biking effectively clamping the wheel at high speed. I still have scars on my left elbow from where I went down. )

Everything was fixed and replaced for free by Trek. My next rack purchase will definitely be welded steel. Steel forever. In my bicycles and in my racks.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green