Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Skinny B*tch"

To disable ads, please log-in.

jordan and atlas summed up what I would say, but I''m just chiming in as another vegan cyclist. It's really not that hard at all!!!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Very interesting reading. I'm certainly an omnivorous person, but I love to learn about other people's reasons for what they do.

My question is - I thought veganism was more about the ethical implications of using animal products (not just meat) than it was about the health implications of being a meat eater (which would be more aligned with vegetarianism). My little cousin was a vegan for a while and she eschewed everything that came from animals - meat products, leather, etc. I am wondering though, does the vegan lifestyle also extend to products we use on a daily basis that use animals for research or testing? I'm only curious because as a veterinarian I get asked all the time how I can possibly "eat my patients" (not the dogs and cats, of course!) and I am exposed to all facets of animal husbandry and welfare, even the lives of animals used in research. Most of the pharmaceutical things we use to treat our various ailments were at least initially tested on animals (and many come back to the veterinary field to treat animals) and I am wondering if veganism also recommends avoiding these types of products in your life? What do you do then if you need to go to the doctor and they prescribe medication? Does veganism extend beyond diet & health or is it really a lifestyle that avoids products of animals and products obtained through the use of animals?

Anyway, may seem random, but I am curious to know.
    Veganism is definitely a lifestyle. I agree with Divingbiker that we all just do the best we can. It's impossible to be completely 100% vegan, that's just the way of the world. But every little bit helps. I don't buy non-food items made from animals (clothes, shoes, cycling accessories, etc) and all my supplements are vegan, but if I'm very ill and have to take a prescription I'm going to take what the doctor prescribes, even if it's been tested on animals (which you're right, they almost all are). It's up to the individual how far they want to take it.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Tosca Reno - Eat Clean

I think with all the different books I have read on nutrition- TONS of books by the way...and in my opinion The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno uses a great balance of foods. If you are gluten free you can exchange some crackers for the type you can have, noodles can be brown rice noodles...Use your noodle in making positive changes... ..it really can be easy.

I lost 10 pounds in first 2 weeks after implementing gluten free...my network chiropractor told me I should give it a try and see how I feel. No bloating or internal pains from trapped gas. Gluten free lifestyles are becoming more popular, making the foods much more available and with a large variety to choose from.

Everyone is different and needs to find what works for them; Vegan, Raw vegan...it can work with proper planning, even with riding schedules.

SWEETS: My control policy for the prevention of over eating yummy but bad foods is: One bite of cake will taste exactly the same as the 2"x2" piece.
    Fruit is a better option than cake for sweet tooth fulfillment: Fruit is not the same type of sugar as processed and granulated and/or corn syrups.

Drink half your body weight in ounces a day:

150# = 75ounces of water

Eat as much raw fruit and veggies as you can- (These are the fastest food- peel and eat/wash and eat)
    Have snacks available- always (small/med cooler-this is your drive-thru)
    Whole foods preferably organic.
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 04-08-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnBreez View Post
    I think with all the different books I have read on nutrition- TONS of books by the way...in my opinion The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno uses a great balance of foods. If you are gluten free you can exchange some crackers for the type you can have, noodles can be brown rice noodles...Use your noodle in making positive changes... ..it really is easy.

My control policy for the prevention of over eating yummy but bad foods is: One bite of cake will taste exactly the same as the 2"x2" piece.

I LOVE Tosca! A lot of her recipes are vegan or easily made so, and the principles behind it are solid. No gimmicks, just clean food. One thing to watch out for though is portion size. Mine got a little out of hand and in the interest of 'never being hungry' I tended to over-snack.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!