Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Spinning Classes Per Week

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just started back with spinning class about 8 weeks ago and am hooked again. Just love it. I have been averaging about 5 classes per week. What do most people average? I know I have heard you shouldn't do more than 3 per week but I feel fine and I am really enjoying it. I do do some weights also.

At most I've done spinning about three times a week. My legs otherwise need a bit of a rest or some variety. Even when I was riding 200 miles a week, spinning just took more out of me. This time a year, I'd rather be outside than in the gym though, but if it works for you, then great. I will say that you might want to mix it up a bit more. In my experience, the limited range of motion that cycling generally requires can lead to some muscle imbalances or weakness that, in turn, can ultimately lead to injury or disfunction. You might add in some Pilates, Yoga or the like to make sure you're well rounded, so to speak.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Balance

I agree with Indysteel. Make sure you are balancing your workouts. I spin twice a week with a day in between. The other days I do strength training, yoga, swimming and other cardio. Alternating my upper and lower body workout days is what my trainer has me do. I also get my bike out and ride on days I can. More so in the warm months, of course. And even then, I was told to up my miles no more than 10% a week AND cut back by half on bike miles every four weeks to give my body a rest. What spin class HAVE allowed me to do, is to jump into higher outdoor miles once milder weather hits. This is a definite plus.

I really enjoy spinning, but wouldn't do it more than three times a week. Do you ride outside? It is good that you are doing weights, just make certain your legs get a chance to recover properly. Listen to your body, and Indy's advice to mix it up is a good one. Rest is also part of it

In the winter months, I do 3 spin classes per week. Now that I'm back to riding outside on the weekends, I'm down to 2 classes per week which is plenty for me because I find that I sometimes get bored with it.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Last summer I didn't back off of spinning enough and still went to 2 spinning classes a week - even though I was riding so much outside. I credit this a partial cause of my over-use injuries (re: why resting the legs is important). THIS summer, beginning in mid-May (or earlier if the weather calms before that) I will only go to spinning class if it is raining.

5 is fine depending on the intensity

I am a cycling instructor going on 5 years now. I can tell you that 5 classes is a lot, but not too bad as long as those classes are not running down your hips. I have found that 5 or more high intensity classes per week can begin causing hip issues. Another thing you want to watch for is overdoing one type of training. 4 classes would be ideal with a mixture of medium to high intensity treadmill/elliptical/stair climber/recumbent bike/rowing machine/kickboxing... If you are doing a medium intensity workout on the indoor cycle 5x per week, just make sure you break it up and work your body in other ways just as intensely throughout the week.
    Also, as one of the previous posters pointed out… spinning as your only means of cardio can imbalance the muscles and cause injury... I am a poster child for that. I am recovering from a knee injury that occurred because the muscles were very much out of balance because of spinning (I was teaching 5-6 spin classes per week-not anymore). After quite a bit of physical therapy and including a lot of Pilates/ kickboxing/ Ti Chi exercises into my routine, my legs are back in balance and I feel stronger than ever. When the muscles go out of strength balance it can do things like pulling your patella (knee cap) out of alignment so it doesn't flow the way it is supposed to smoothly within its groove... this can cause chronic pain and swelling which can lead to a quite bad case of lameness and ONLY time can heal it, that would mean no use for it. Make sure you balance your legs if you spin a lot. Do a lot of exercises that work the hamstrings, calves, inner thigh, and balancing exercises that work the stabilization muscles around your ankles and knees. Work on the Bosu ball (turned upside down so the ball side is on the floor and you are standing on the flat side) is a great way to strengthen and stabilize hard to work muscles. Good luck and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by rockonspinfreak; 04-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Good for you on finding an exercise activity you love. I tell people, the key to sticking with something is to find what you love. Thus, you will seek it out, and miss it when you do not have it.

I'm an instructor , as well. Going hard at it this winter I'm pretty tired, and over-trained. Got some things hurtin on me, owe lol. I've had 6 spin classes a week between my two gyms. Just let go of some. I love what I do. But, man am I glad. Also, I road cycle and mtb.

My issue I have with cross training is that pedaling is pretty much the only thing I can do. No impactive exercise for me per the doc. I hate walking. It doesn't cut it for my heart rate. I also kinda hate the pool. Never could get the stroke with my asthma. See remark number one about sticking with what you love lol.

Strength training is good. Maybe try to focus on working those muscles you are not getting in Spinning. Also, make sure you stay fit correctly to your bike. Any signs of pain/discomfort back it off. Stretching / core work is always good as well.

Good Luck.

Personally I´ve found 2-3 classes a week to be the best amount for me. Doing more than that is too much for my legs, so I do pilates or go to the gym when I´m not spinning. But the most important thing is to do what feels best for you and your body.

There are occasionally weeks where I spin 5x a week (when the weather is particularly ugly). I don't have any issues because of the frequency... nothing like when I was running 5x a week and my hips, knees, and ankles were screaming. With spinning, no problems. But, I'm limited in my time, I can't spin 5x a week, and do weights, and x-train. So, usually I spin 3x a week, and 2x a week I do run/strength intervals. And at the moment I'm learning to swim.

It's great that you are incorporating strength training as well. If you're enjoying the routine, stick with it! Your body will tell you when to work on something new.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

I was doing spinning classes twice a week, and in between that doing body pump and bosu class. I started the spinning class back at the end of January to help me with the hills around the neighborhood we live in, and I can honestly say it has! Last year, I was having to walk part way up hills, lol. I also have lost around 9 pounds so far! I did one yesterday after not taking a class for about 3 weeks or so, since I have been riding outside, and I ended up leaving half way through.

I also am a Spinning instructor. I think three classes for most people is maximum. A great adjunct to cycling is running and/or fast walking. Spinning uses your quads heavily. Running/walking will use your hamstrings.

My concern for you is that by the time you acknowledge a problem arising, e.g., knee or hip issues, it may already be a chronic imbalance. Notice I said "acknowledge" because often we think these little aches will go away with time. Sometimes they do but sometimes they become bigger issues that plague us.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I try to change it up a bit so I do spin class 2x a week and pilates 2x a week and I commute to work (3 miles) 3x a week. I love spin class as well but since I am new to spin and cycling I don't want to over-do it and feel the need to stretch (pilates).