Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for Route Verte Advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, some friends and I are looking to some touring via the Route Verte. I was looking for any advice or experience that you could give me. I have been out to the website and have gotten some information but personal experience is always the best. We also have the map guide.

We are looking at going in late August early September and cycling in the southern sections but we are open to other suggestions.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

If it is at all on your route you *must* stay at Auberge Harris in St Jean sur Richelieu. The hotel is run by Madame Boutin, a petite dynamo of a woman.

She built the hotel to cater to cyclists. At the time she built it, she was told she was crazy to expect cyclists to stop there. To guarantee that it would happen, she became a political force designing and pushing through sections of the bicycle network.

She is an amazing woman and worth meeting. Oh, and, btw, more than 1/2 her business now is cyclists. You'll get secure storage, repair area, wash area and fantastic TLC in addition to meeting a legend.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

Thanks and any other helpful is appreciated

Thanks so much for the advice.

It looks like we are targeting the Montreal to QC loop. I am wondering what bicycle to bring. I have a carbon BH Cristal and an older carbon/aluminum Trek Pilot 6.2. I am worried about using road wheels. Should I have something larger with more traction. I am concerned that the Cristal will not be the right bike for all aspects of the trip so any help you can provide on that would also be appreciated.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    You would enjoy the riding if you had slightly wider tires instead of roadie slicks.

There are some parts of the route, it's hardpacked gravel/soil.

Between Montreal and Quebec City there are some cheese farms not far from Route Verte. Quebec has lovely cheeses, some that are strong and European-like. I do use Quebec as a benchmark of the closest fit to European fine cheeses --rich, flavourful, etc. though British Columbia does produce some fine cheeses.

http://www.terroiretsaveurs.com/en/q...ritourism.html

These are more gourmet like cheeses. Wonderful stuff.

We visited 2 farms. Also Montreal at Atwater Market sells the cheeses.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.