I have been having this problem for a few months now and on/off for the last five years.

It used to be that I'd wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep the 6-24 hours before I get my period.

Now that I'm 49, my body is maybe in peri-menopause maybe? Anyway I wake up every 2 hours, ofcourse the minute I'm awake I have to pee. Then I can't get back to sleep. This happens 2-3 days in a row. On the 3rd or 4th day I'm just exhausted and I sleep better for 1-2 nights and then we are back to the same sleepless routine.

I've tried all the suggestions/ready all the articles: No caffeine, increasing my magnesium, not eating anything heavy late at night or excersizing late, reducing water intake so I don't have to pee. Making my bedroom truly a bedrom. Yoga. Consistenly watching and writing down my food intake, watching my food intake closely. Getting up and sleeping in another room, etc. I've read every single peice of literature and tried everything that I can think of.

The herb Valerian does help, but it only helps me slightly. I've been using the Valerian for about 2 months now.

It is hard to get up and exercise if you didn't get any sleep, the only time I have to exercise is in the mornings. On the weekends, if I don't sleep well I still go on a bike ride, but when I get home I'm ready for a nap.

Suggestions are welcome no matter how silly.