Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't sleep

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not saying this applies to anyone here-
    To add one more possible cause of disturbed/interrupted sleep- too much alcohol can easily do that. Though one glass of something actually helps some folks get to sleep and sleep well, too much can really mess up your ability to get restful deep REM sleep. It causes restlessness, weird and unpleasant dreams, waking up multiple times during the night and not being able to get back to sleep. Needless to say, those who drink too much regularly often feel strongly that their sleep problem is due to something else.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK, if you are willing to listen to anything even though it sounds ridiculous - how about being barefoot? The earth has a natural resonant frequency that shifts as the day shifts. Being in touch with frequency that helps our natural circadian rhythms reset. Too much insluation in the form of concrete, high-rises, tires and such keep us separated from it and too much interference from the prolific wireless devices in our lives can mess with our ability to 'hear/feel' these rhythms.

I've always been a lousy sleeper, but I swear that when I spend time in our garden (ie the dirt!) barefoot during the summer, I feel calmer. I sleep way better at night in the summer than I do in the winter. Since this is counter-intuitive from every other angle (temperature, light, rain/weather, etc), I attribute it to being barefoot MUCH more during the summer months.

You said kooky was ok!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    OK, if you are willing to listen to anything even though it sounds ridiculous - how about being barefoot? The earth has a natural resonant frequency that shifts as the day shifts. Being in touch with frequency that helps our natural circadian rhythms reset. Too much insluation in the form of concrete, high-rises, tires and such keep us separated from it and too much interference from the prolific wireless devices in our lives can mess with our ability to 'hear/feel' these rhythms.

I've always been a lousy sleeper, but I swear that when I spend time in our garden (ie the dirt!) barefoot during the summer, I feel calmer. I sleep way better at night in the summer than I do in the winter. Since this is counter-intuitive from every other angle (temperature, light, rain/weather, etc), I attribute it to being barefoot MUCH more during the summer months.

You said kooky was ok!
    I like it!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I always sleep better when i've been out working in the garden in the sun for a little while.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All the postings are great. Within a few days of my posting, I started to sleep better.

I literally stopped taking all my normal supplements, flax seed (started using the liquid kind), vitamin E (my doctor recommended this a year ago), magnesium, etc. Again all recommended by the DOC. I also stopped taking one of my prescriptions, never liked the stuff anyway. And I started sleeping in just my panties the boyfriend is loving this. I still wake up but I go right back to sleep. And I only wake up twice, no longer the 4 times a night.

I don't drink alcohol so that isn't an issue. My bladder seems happier too, I don't have the urge as much.

And the thing about walking in dirt barefoot, yeah, I've hear that it is supposed to be good for you. I work in my garden a lot anyone, so I've got dirty feet.

I have an appt with my gyno in about 3 weeks, so we'll see what she says about the perimenopause thing.

I made an appt with my allergist, since I stopped taking her pills I figured I'd clue her in on my problem and that I stopped her pills.

So for now sleeping almost naked, walking in the dirt, and cutting out all types of medication, supplements seems to be working. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I have to take Trazadone. Ambien made me a zombie, melatonin did nothing, Lunesta I woke up. I also get relief from having my room very cool. Maybe because I have always liked to burrow down in the covers. I also like using lavender scents in my bedroom. I started having insomnia after my Nanny died in 2009. I thought with my depression under control it would subside but it hasn't.
    Just a thought...

Do you have anything from your Nanny in your bedroom that holds a strong memory?

OK, while we are entertaining anything cooky here lol, I say this because of a book I recently read. I posted a thread on it regarding spring cleaning and getting rid of your clutter.

Probably one of the best books I've read. But, the author goes thru some of his clients cases. If insomnia is an issue, he looks at what clutter is the your bedroom. Basically he says all our outter clutter stems from our inner clutter.

For our bedrooms, he says things should be perfectly clutter free, simple, soothing. Nothing even stored under the bed.

I ditched alot of my junk. Got more to go. But, my bedroom feels calmer.

However, I've been an insomniac for a while. Perimenopausal also. The hormones gotta be big thing I think.

Miranda - Nothing from Nanny but the thing after her death that scared me the most was how my Pawpaw and her were hoarders. It was just so much stuff to sort through. Our master bedroom is cluttered and it might be causing anxiety. My doctor diagnosed me with depression and anxiety before my Nanny died. So that is actually very helpful. My goal once race season is over next month is to start throwing things out. My grandparents, my husband's whole family are hoarders and as I get older I don't want to be! What is the name of that book?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Have you tried any serotonin supplement? I think you should ask that for a pharmacist. The one that my auntie take before is the MX 5-HTP. It helps to aid in stress relief and help balance sleep patterns. So i think serotonin supplement is the solution on your concern.

I go through long periods of insomnia from time to time. Have been a bit insomniac for a week now. Stress is what it boils down to right now, some struggles with my parents, my new business, etc.
    I'm a backyard herbalist and grow a lot of my own meds, have a friend who is a real herbalist and grows everything. She gave me skullcap, which seems to help.
    Getting up is a huge mistake for me. If I get up, I am guaranteed to just be up the rest of the night. I do have some books set to reverse type on my iPod to limit light, as I'm very light sensitive. I have blinds and curtains, my winter curtains are lined.
    Temperature plays in also. Been so hot for months, we've been sleeping with only a sheet and I really miss the weight and comfort of a blanket.
    Sometimes a good workout helps. Not always. I slept pretty well after my metric century, but since then I'm back to being awake until 1am, awake at 3am, then just dozing the rest of the night.
    I'm not menopausal. Won't be for a while yet. I think my cause is just stress.
    Other than the skullcap I haven't said anything that others have suggested. Hope you are able to get some sleep soon.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog