Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Pee-Wee Sports

Pee-Wee Sports

To disable ads, please log-in.

I volunteered to help coach DD's youth soccer team this season, U6 age group. The club had the coaches attend a training session (put on by my brother of all people). Sidebar: My brother is Mr. Soccer around here. We don't even live in the same city, but it doesn't matter, if its soccer related, he's KNOWN throughout the state. It's inescapable. And now that everyone in our very small town knows that I'm his sister and DD is related to him, I'm worried there will be added pressure/expectations. I'm probably overreacting.

The training session was REALLY overwhelming. A lot of talk about "player development" with the goal that they be prepared for Premier leagues when they're older.

We're coaching 4-5 year olds!!!

I just had not thought that far ahead. DD loves soccer. Every night she wants to kick the ball around the basement. I want her to have fun and learn about team work and commitment. Premier soccer league was no where on my radar.

Is that what most parents are thinking?

It was funny because I could tell how passionate everyone was about "Soccer." And I caught myself daydreaming about my mountain bike.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I hated every minute of when my kids did youth sports. Soccer and baseball. I had no expectations of "premier" sports leagues, just fun. It did nothing but cut into my family time and expected parents to be at beck and call for transportation, as well as no regard for working mothers. Maybe this sounds selfish, but I was happy when they stopped. DS #1 was a very good baseball player; he went through grade six on a town team and then quit before he had to join something more intense. Band became more important. But the band parents were just as bad, in their own way. I went to all of the football games to see him march, and the concerts, but I did not spend endless Saturday evenings at the competitions. These people were truly living through their kids.
    I didn't go to many races when DS #2 started competing. DH did it all. He started driving himself to races right around the time I started riding, so I became a little more interested. But, the parents were still somewhat "intense," although it was better.
    If you love coaching, do it. But be careful.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I did soccer from when I was 4 to when I was 17. My mom called that young age group the "bumble bee soccer" because all the little kids quickly swarm the ball where ever it goes. Some parents definitely have high hopes for their kids, which I think is weird. My parents just let me tryw whatever I wanted to try. I mainly stayed in activities because most of my friends were in them too. I went from house league soccer to club soccer because I. Was frustrated with bumble bee soccer. I understood how the game needed to be played intellectually and thought all my teammates were stupid for not seeing the field how I saw it.

Then started my struggle with the politics of the soccer crowd in my affluent subburb. So I eventually stopped when I realized my talent wasn't being recognized and I couldn't progress any further. Also, all the girls in the higher ranked teams all knew each other and didn't like me. So I picked up ultimate frisbee instead. And now a bike.

I really liked soccer. I wish I could've gone further with it. I would say just be sure to encourage the kids to have fun. And you know what, all they need to learn how to do at 4 and 5 is kick the ball in a straight line. And that its okay to both win and lose. And "teamwork isn't about winning or losing." (Oh yeah, that's a gem.) Bumble bee soccer is okay.

Let the fun begin!

I got the roster for my team a few days ago. I sent out an email to all the parents on my team this morning letting them know practice and game times, etc.

I immediately get an urgent reply to call one of the parents immediately about a "serious problem."

My heart stopped! What did I do wrong!!!

Apparently her husband had a "thing" with one of the other mom's of the kids on the team that caused his first divorce. I had to listen to the drama for a half an hour. Oye!

I only signed up for this because my dd loves it and they were very desperate for coaches. I hate drama, that's why I work alone in my basement. I don't do couples therapy and I'm not a mediator, sure hope they can work this out without me having to police the situation.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog