Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NiteRider MiNewt 700 Dual vs Pro 700 LED Race

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am currently considering these two lights:

NiteRider MiNewt 700 Dual and the NiteRider Pro 700 LED Race

Does anyone have experience with either one? I noted some bad reviews on MTBR for an older version of the MiNewt, but that was an older version.

I am looking for something for use on unlit country roads and, perhaps, trail riding in the future. I would love to get the Adventure set of Ay-Up lights, but right now just can't justify it - not until or unless I take up mountain biking and wind up doing some serious night trail riding.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-29-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am currently considering these two lights:

NiteRider MiNewt 700 Dual and the NiteRider Pro 700 LED Race

Does anyone have experience with either one? I noted some bad reviews on MTBR for an older version of the MiNewt, but that was an older version.

I am looking for something for use on unlit country roads and, perhaps, trail riding in the future. I would love to get the Adventure set of Ay-Up lights, but right now just can't justify it - not until or unless I take up mountain biking and wind up doing some serious night trail riding.

Thanks!
    I vaguely remember 'lights shootout' reports from years ago when I was looking, and I found this.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/
    the miniNewt is there, don't know about the other one.
    good luck to you!
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I've had a number of MiNewt lights. I never had any complaints about their function..... until they quit..... I never had one last beyond a year or so.... I took a few back to REI (almost all for different issues too, so it wasn't consistent how they were failing) before I switched to an L&M Stella. The Stella was more expensive, but it, at least has been reliable....

I also like the Stella better because it is more flexible - the cord is nice and long. I was never able to mount the MiNewt to my helmet because it had a tiny short cord and the battery back was uncomfortably heavy if put on my helmet. With the Stella I can put the battery in my pocket. Oh... and the run time is 3x as long.... The Stella isn't as bright as the light you want, but they do make a 700 lumen model (Seca).
    Last edited by Eden; 03-29-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks for the link, and I just read a nice review of the L&M Seca 700. I did read a nice review of the NR Pro LED Race - I've read enough mixed reviews of the MiNewt that it has dropped off my list. So I still have two lights to choose between I do have time to make up my mind, so that is good.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.