Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weekend rides - Mercer Island/South Lake wA loop

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had so much stuff to do yesterday and it was raining. The weather report sounded like it was just going to get worse, so as the sky lightened I figured it was just a hole in the clouds and that i was going to get drenched. I continued to try to get stuff done around the house, really wanting to tell my husband FORGET IT, but not having the courage.
    The time came, I was supposed to leave the house at 1130 and ride north to meet my husband who was going to be coming back south from a meeting. I got out of the garage with my bike and it was raining and 40 degrees. Cold icky rain hitting my face. Cold icky rain seeping through my wool knickers. I was glad I had put the booties on. I rode slowly towards the switchbacks behind my house, worrying about slipping and sliding on the wet steep ridged pavement.
    It continued to rain as I headed towards Seward Park and Leschi, on the road where I was supposed to meet my husband. i formulated a plan, I would suggest we go to Pert's deli for a hot drink and then go home, jettisoning our plan to do the 45 mile ride around both Mercer Island and then around the south end of Lake washington.

I met Donald about 1 mile south of Pert's deli.. He turned around ahead of me (so I am now behind him). The sun came out. It was still raining. He shouted with glee "Isn't it a beautiful day???" I was not impressed. I had not yet caught up with him when he turned LEFT up the hill (instead of continuing along the lake to the Deli) and I was too far back to let him know of my plan... so defeated, I committed to the ride.

Riding in rainglow is very hard on the eyes. My untinted safety glasses were all covered with rain drips which multiplied the glare. By the time we got to Mercer Island, my eyes were really hurting, so I started alternating the glasses on and off depending on whether i was going up or down hill. We circumnavigated the island, me pushing myself until i had side stitches, then I slowed down a bit.

On the east side, it started raining in earnest for a while and then the spitting kind of rain would return in fits. There are several little hills we had to climb honestly, this is the best part of the ride, no traffic, lake views and lots of birds and Bald Eagles. I did the best I could, until we finally got to The Landing in Renton where there is a little shop called "Caffee Felice" where we finally got our hot drinks. We sat there long enough to drink our drinks and hopped back on our bikes and did the last leg, a 7 mile swing northward around the lake, up Rainier Avenue and then back up Beacon Hill. This was the best part of the ride, after all that, I had a tailwind! and as tired as i was, I found myself going 15-16 mph.
    I never took off my raincoat and I had two layers underneath. I was covered in a base layer of wool. Good thing. I ended up riding 44 miles yesterday and was pleased with myself when I was done.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

It sounds like a great ride even with the rain! Your distance is impressive! I'm in Oregon, so I know what you mean about looking for a break in the rain in order to get in a ride.

yeah sometimes you just have to give up and ride in the rain!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

wow, no one else rode?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Too cold for me here -- high was only in the 30s in NC. No riding for me this weekend. Supposed to be warmer by next weekend so keeping fingers crossed. Hard to believe it was 82 just a few short days ago!

Good for you Mimi -- I am more of a wimp about rain and cold than you.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Mimi, you look so cute!

I did a my regular loop yesterday. The weather was really cold, so I had to layer up again. Nothing really interesting to report, just a good sinus clearing ride. Oh, and when I got back, my bf said "wow, that was really fast!" He probably fell asleep while I was gone, so it seemed faster than normal.

Today is a rest day, but I rode to the store. As I was waiting to cross a busy street, guy in a truck stopped in the middle of the boulevard to let me go. I know he was trying to be nice and all, but I couldn't go because of other oncoming cars, which then also stopped for me. I'd just rather wait my turn, and not have a big confusing spectacle made to let me cross the street. I think it's because I was in street clothes, and with a pannier. I also had on cute socks, so maybe it was that.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    wow, no one else rode?
    Does "wanting" to ride count?

Snow here on Sunday. By the time it melted in the afternoon I was knee deep in taxes. Figured I better get that finished. Next week we should be done with this cold weather and riding can really be a more regular event.

I did the usual (N2) group ride on Saturday morning. Ended up doing 64 miles. Yesterday was an easy 29 miles. Both days were cold but not unbearably cold. I think everyone is eager for spring temperatures to arrive so we can finally put our winter gear away. I think I spend 10 minutes trying to decide what to wear when it's cold.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Does "wanting" to ride count?

Next week we should be done with this cold weather and riding can really be a more regular event.
    Funny. I said that LAST week!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I worked at my club's bike workshop Saturday (it was freezing and windy, anyway). On Sunday, it was warmer, but really windy. DH didn't feel good and it didn't take much for him to get me to not ride . We went for a walk/hike, half on the road, half on the trail. We walked up a 20-25% grade that is much harder to do in shoes, rather than snow shoes! My knees were killing me. I kind of regretted not riding, but I think I would have been blown all over the place. Spring is long in arriving. I am hoping to get out Wednesday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

gee, Crankin, sounds like you live at the North pole!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Nah, the snow is gone and it was actually 43 out yesterday. But the wind chill was like 32, just below my threshold for riding. I would have been struggling and I gave myself permission to stop feeling bad about it.
    But the temperatures have been 10 degrees below normal. It doesn't help that last spring was one of the warmest ever.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I rode in that rain too Mimi! Down here in the south end it was a continuous down pour of the wet stuff. I almost talked myself out of riding but I decided if I don't ride on rainy days I'll never ride . . . this is spring in the pacific northwest after all! I was worried about coming down Sumner Lake Tapps hill. The rain was really coming down when I arrived at the hill and that hill is 3 miles long and steep. I usually fly down it anywhere between 37 and 45 mph. I held back and kept it between 30 and 35 even so it was scary. I breathed a sigh of relief when I was at the bottom. My riding glasses really needed wiper blades on Saturday! It was tough seeing at times with droplets and water running down the lenses. Unlike you I forgot to put on my booties and my feet got wet and cold. I stopped in Buckley to warm up by the fireplace in this quaint espresso place and ordered a mocha and a cookie. Forcing myself to get back on my bike I finished around 1:00 and got 45 miles on Saturday.

I rode today and though it didn't rain it sure was windy! I got 48 miles in today. I hope to ride tomorrow and maybe a short ride on Wednesday morning. Wednesday afternoon at 1:50 PM I will be at SeaTac picking up my Mom and sister. They are flying in for a visit staying through Sunday morning. No riding once they arrive. I'm off all week on spring break.

Have fun doing your P-12 on Saturday Mimi. I wish I could join you; next month for sure! I plan to do my P-12 the following weekend on Saturday, April 9th. I hope we both get a nice day for our rides.

Yeah, we did a tandem ride in it yesterday as well--Juanita, Kirkland, Juanita, Forbes Creek Drive, home on the river trail. Chris works just like a fairing on the tandem. You tandem riders know what I mean. Neither of us really mind the rain.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I have found this website extremely helpful in planning routes/times to dodge the rain.

Typical Seattle rain is pretty easy to avoid with some planning. Also, I love RAIN-X on my cycling glasses to avoid the drop build up. Just shake your head every once in a while and they fall right off.