Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: stretches??

stretches??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi guys, I'm new on here and was hopeing for some advice on stretching after a ride.I do standard leg stretches but wondered if anyone had a good stretch for lower back. I usually end up with stiff lower back and knees to! anyone got any tips??I'm new to riding, havnt really done it since I was a kid...so its fun but a bit of a shock to the body

I can't really say a good stretch for the lower back. I have some back and neck issues every now and then and the best thing I do for that is massage. You might consider getting massages from time to time. I go to Massage Envy. I don't know if you have one in your area or a place like that ... and this is not a spam for them. But you can pay a low monthly fee, which comes with one massage a month and if you do more, or want a longer one, you pay an extra fairly small fee (compared to most massages). I don't always use a massage a month, so they build up. When I'm heavier on my training, doing longer or more intense rides and/or events and need more massages, I have some built up and can go every week or every couple of weeks for a while. I have like 5 or 6 right now I think and plan to start using them more ... starting Thursday!

Secondly, one of the ways I get some stretching in is at the end of a ride, when I'm spinning to recover, which you really should do, particularly after a hard ride. I'll spend like 10 minutes spinning my legs and on a flat road, I'll stop pedaling every now and then and stretch my legs. I'll start with my calves. I'll stand and put the pedals at about a 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock position and stretch my calves, then I'll switch which foot is in front and do it again. I then pedal a little bit, and stand and stretch my hamstring. Its hard to explain how to do this, but the front leg is higher than the back by a little. I lean forward and can feel a stretch in the front leg. Then switch. I'll usually go back to stretching just the calves again and then the hamstrings again. I didn't learn this from anyone. It's just something I started doing somehow on my own.

When I come back from my ride, I usually enter my stats in bikejournal.com and, while I do that (sitting on the floor) I'll stretch some more. I'm actually doing that right now! Just got back from a ride.

Lower back is kind of hard to stretch. Depending on the sore area I might be feeling, I do try to twist and contort my body until I feel a stretch in a particular area, but I'm thinking you might find something if you did a google search. Also, if you get a massage, ask them if they can tell you a good stretch for the spot you want to stretch. I happen to go to a gal who kind of specializes in sports massage, so she is aware of areas need extra attention on a cyclist and has told me specific ways to stretch areas that tend to be tight on me. If you decide to try massages, see if you can find one that specializes in sports massage. Mine was referred to my husband from a runner friend and we have recommended her to other cyclists and runners. Ask around from other cyclists or athletes you know and see if they can recommend anyone.

Lastly, but possibly most importantly, if you haven't gotten a professional bike fit, this might help a lot with your lower back pain.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

thanks for the info guys I will try yoga and try and do some spinning after ride and I think I might need a propper bike fit....thankyou soo much

You know what's been the best thing for my low back? Inversions. Headstands and handstands. Obviously, leading up to those have been all the postures that have brought me to the point where I could balance upside down - Camel, Bridge, Wheel, Dog (both downward- and upward-facing).

But inversions are all about spinal alignment IME.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a really whacked out back and hips. I'm extremely wary of aggressive yoga style stretches until one is quite advanced. I've been injured in every yoga class I've ever done. IMO I'm sure yoga is great for fitness..I just don't happen to believe its for rehab.

That said...here are my faves. They are really gentle. Not meant to be aggressive or painful at all If you go to this website...find HIP FLEXOR STRETCH, PELVIC TILT EXERCISE, and PRESS UP BACK EXTENSIONS.

This one for the lower glutes has been great for my back.

My 2c

I use "The Stick."

It's awesome. Has made a big difference in stretching out my muscles and helping with flexibility.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thankyou for ll the suggestions I do enjoy yoga and will explore that further. I actually have to drive 20k's to get to my beautiful bike track...where I live its all hills and mountains and I wanted to get my fitness up before I tackled them...I tend to ride in late afternoon post house work cooking etc etc and by the time I get home from my ride I just feel like...sleeping and/or massage lol..but will try and change that habit...also its a bit difficult doing yoga headstands in the carpark...but ...maybe not...would certainly attract attention....prob not , but I will check out all your suggestions and thankyou soooo much luv this forum.

I've had lower back problems and I "ditto" the inversions--I even have an inversion table.

I also recommend yoga, but agree you need to be careful and find a reputable studio for beginners. The stretches you don't like or can't do are probably the one you need the most.

Another thought--don't think only "lower back stretch." Tight hamstrings, pelvis and hip flexors can cause back pain.

I have a great stretching routine I do every morning and evening, but also hesitate to give specifics since it was designed by a physical therapist for my specific problems.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I love the yoga pose called "Childs pose". You can search for an online video. Provides a great stretch for the lower back.

Trouble with child's pose is it bends the lower back in the same direction as cycling, so on its own it's no help at all for people who already have a flattened lumbar curve.

A more gentle low back stretch is downward facing dog. Some of my teacher's cues: weight on all four corners of the feet, raise up the metatarsal arches (by raising your 2nd through 4th toes if necessary), weight on the index mounds (i.e. second metacarpal head), grab the mat with your fingers, internally rotate the thighs and wrists, shoulderblades going down your back, and most importantly, visualize hanging from your sitbones and not reversing your low back curve. Also, if you go into down dog from plank, then you know your hands and feet are the right distance apart. That will very gently stretch your low back.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

@Oakleaf, that's helpful information. As I think of it I see what you mean (see you can definitely tell I'm a newby)!