Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Going to Moab...what should I know?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Ladies, I'm finally going to Moab, Utah and I was wondering how long it takes for one to get acclimated to 4,000 ft. I'm from the flat lands. I also read that there are some prescription meds that can ease the symptoms for high altitude. I tend to stay with healthy approaches but it would be a bummer to be sick the entire trip... looking for advice. BTW, I'm flying two days early. Cheers!
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Oscar Wilde

I have no answers for you, but please report back after your trip. I'm riding the White Rim Trail at the end of May and would love to know what to expect. Have fun!
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Are you going to be riding there or just hanging out/hiking? We went there from NC in 2006 and did a lot of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands. No problems whatsoever. We had trained for hiking but did nothing specific for altitude and took no meds. I don't think the altitutde there should be a problem since it's really not that high. Honestly, we never even thought of doing anything to prepare or take any meds...not sure if it's worse if you're cycling vs. the long hikes we did.

Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

3 weeks. Sorry.
    Take it easy.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Consider your overall level of fitness and the amount of exertion you are planning.

Stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.
    It's not exactly Everest, but you might feel headachy or a little out of breath.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Are you going to be riding there or just hanging out/hiking? We went there from NC in 2006 and did a lot of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands. No problems whatsoever. We had trained for hiking but did nothing specific for altitude and took no meds. I don't think the altitutde there should be a problem since it's really not that high. Honestly, we never even thought of doing anything to prepare or take any meds...not sure if it's worse if you're cycling vs. the long hikes we did.

Good luck!
    Emily, going biking, hiking, rafting....I'm told to get there early to give the body a chance to catch-up
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Consider your overall level of fitness and the amount of exertion you are planning.

Stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.
    It's not exactly Everest, but you might feel headachy or a little out of breath.
    I'm working on the climbs..... and yes no booze and late nights for me. Thanks!
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

Oscar Wilde

I asked my DH, and he still doesn't think you should have any problems at that altitude. Everyone is different, though.

We didn't even have trouble at Bryce (8000 ft), but we'd been out west for awhile by the time we got there so had probably acclimated somewhat. We did a couple of strenuous hikes there with no issues, though.

I think worrying about it might tend to make things worse...the mind is pretty suggestible. Was hoping some others who had gone from lowlands to Moab would chime in...maybe they still will.
    Emily

Everyone is different. I start feeling altitude at about 4,000 feet. It took me 2 days to get acclimated to Boulder (5,000 feet), but during our trip we also went up 8,000 a few times and to Rocky Mountain National Park, at 11,000 feet. I was tingly, sweaty, and kind of pale in the national park; I had to insist we leave, and we weren't even hiking!
    I did do a short ride in Boulder, after we had been there for a few days. It was OK. But, generally, I don't plan any vacations at altitude, because I just feel awful.
    Drink lots of water and no alcohol.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Give yourself a couple days to acclimatize before having doing much in the way of exertion.

I don't think you'll feel much at 4,000 feet - but everyone's different.

Some people use diamox for high altitude - but I think 4,000 feet isn't so high that you need to take a drug to deal with it. If cocoa tea was available in the US, I'd say drink that - it's really effective in Peru.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    Give yourself a couple days to acclimatize before having doing much in the way of exertion.

I don't think you'll feel much at 4,000 feet - but everyone's different.

Some people use diamox for high altitude - but I think 4,000 feet isn't so high that you need to take a drug to deal with it. If cocoa tea was available in the US, I'd say drink that - it's really effective in Peru.
    What a great idea! I'm going to check out the local Ethnic Latin stores around here in NJ. We have a bunch from where I get my Peruvian's Quinoa. I'll let you know if I get lucky.
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

Oscar Wilde

Maybe not exactly the same, but for what it's worth........

Last August, while in Maui, went from sea level to ~8000ft (cycling) and didn't feel anything...however, the day before when we drove up to the top of Haleakala ~10k, walking up steps got me pretty dizzy and winded and I'm sure it was from the altitude change.
    I had read of other cyclists having headaches and such while climbing Haleakala, but we didn't experience any issue...I think it was the slow pace we were traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnchick22 View Post
    Last August, while in Maui, went from sea level to ~8000ft (cycling) and didn't feel anything...however, the day before when we drove up to the top of Haleakala ~10k, walking up steps got me pretty dizzy and winded and I'm sure it was from the altitude change.
    I had read of other cyclists having headaches and such while climbing Haleakala, but we didn't experience any issue...I think it was the slow pace we were traveling.
    We drove to the top of Haleakala about 20 years ago and didn't have any problems with feeling bad at the top watching the sunrise (no exertion), but a guy that we were with started feeling really bad at the top. Everyone is different.

From what I read before our trip to the SW, a lot of folks have problems at 7000 ft and above, but it's much less common to have problems below that. We (my DH and I) are obviously some of the lucky ones.
    Emily