Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up Anyone North of Boston? Merrimack Valley?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would like to start riding more but I just can't keep up with my boyfriend. I live in Lowell, MA and am lucky to be right next to a forest, but I would also like to ride railtrails more (I am too nervous to ride many of the busy city streets). Would love to find a riding buddy totake it slow with. I am overweight and want to get healthier, but it's hard to go it alone in the beginning.
    "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air." -Nathaniel Hawthorne

Why don't you put your bike in the car to the start of the trail either in Lowell or Chelmsford? There are 2 crossings that are a little weird for beginners at that end of the trail, but it is easy to walk your bike through them. I work in Lowell for now (internship) and I would not ride on a lot of the streets there!
    Or better yet, put your bike in the car and drive to quiet areas in Chelmsford, Carlisle, or Concord to practice riding on the roads.
    If you are interested, DH and I are leading a 22 mile ride, starting from Concord center on May 14. We have 2 groups, and you probably could ride with the group who averages 10-12 mph, if you are used to riding that distance. There are some rolling, little hills, but no "climbs."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Its a little south of you but check out the AMC Worcester Chapters biking trips:

http://www.amcworcester.org/biking.htm

Our Tuesday Night Rides which start in May are rated as easy and geared towards riders that want to ride 10-12 mph. We also offer some intro/easier rides on bike paths on the weekends. Its a great way to meet some other folks who might want to ride with you.

Boston Chapter may also offer some easier rides as well.

Yup, they are on Tuesday nights. Most start in Concord center, Lincoln, etc.

http://www.amcboston.org/bicycle/index.php
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport