Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 73
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,394

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I am pretty sure the shorts Oak is describing have no pad...
    And yes, wicking fabric really does wick. It doesn't mean you don't feel some sweat; it just doesn't stick to you and your jersey doesn't stick to you, making you cold and clammy, or overheated. Cotton is your enemy in any endurance sport.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by audreytatou View Post
    does the fabric that wicks water away from your skin really make a difference??

    Oh my yes, far more comfortable than cotton!

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    153
    I just bought 3 pairs of underarmor compression shorts from TJ Maxx for <$15 each!! Also saw several cycling jerseys (though not my style). I love that TJ Maxx/Marshalls are buying cycling apparel
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    167
    I am a little late to the party here, but wanted to add a few of my observances about trying to find comfort for the "girly bits," on the bike. For reference, my rides are normally 40-60 miles. I have done 1 century.

    I did try several saddles and am now on a Brooks, which is my favorite so far. Parenthetically, when I had a professional bike fit, one of the fitters did a freak out when he saw my Brooks and tried to talk me out of it. Uh uh! Whereas my saddle doesn't disappear, it is far from the hell of the other saddles I tried.

    One of the saddles I tried did have a cut out and was gel and the gel was too soft and caused me to sink into the cut out - which caused a lot of swelling.

    As for shorts, I am considering trying to ride with no chamois (which I mentioned to the fitter as well, and he did another freak out!) although I do like the padding for my sit bones. Just not my labia. I am trying to find capris with a minimalist chamois. Although, I am a bit resistant to buying more shorts. I have three pair already, two of which I don't really use!!

    Here is the thing I am experiencing, which I don't think was mentioned here. I am a newbie. I just started road biking last year. I notice that as I am getting stronger on the bike, I use the muscles in my legs and butt differently and I push harder, which keeps my labia lifted off of the saddle more. I also think when I concentrate on my core, this also helps. If I am really pedaling from my butt, keeping my core strong, and focusing on form, I am really comfortable on the saddle. I am also faster
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

    Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

    Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,557
    The fitter who trained me was very wise. You are not allowed to "freak out" over choices made by your client - unless those choices are causing the client problems.

    So, if my client comes in riding centuries on a hard plastic BMX saddle with no complaints that can be traced to that saddle, I am not to throw a fit and demand the client change saddles.

    If a client comes in wearing his favorite Utilikilt (in the traditional manner) that he says he wears for all his rides, and has no issues with his hee-hah; I am not to throw a fit and demand he start wearing cycling shorts.

    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    (take your fitter's freak-outs with a grain of salt)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful NW or Left Coast
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

    If a client comes in wearing his favorite Utilikilt (in the traditional manner) that he says he wears for all his rides, and has no issues with his hee-hah; I am not to throw a fit and demand he start wearing cycling shorts.

    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    (take your fitter's freak-outs with a grain of salt)
    oh thanks Knott, i really needed THAT visual...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

    Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Interesting discussion - I just asked this myself too. DH has gotten me an Assos Cycling Bib for a present but I just don't seem to like it enough for the price. They feel bulky at the front. He loves his Assos Cycling shorts and thinks they are well worth the money...

    From my understanding, if you have a fitting saddle - so you are sitting on your sitbones - the padding in the front doesn't make much sense, does it? The chamois in the front does makes me feel hot and uncomfortable.

    Maybe the chamois-design comes from a wrong understanding where women ought to sit on a saddle?


    I find the in most cycling shorts the padding in the front doesn't come up far enough and there's too much in the back. I've been considering Assos so maybe they will work for me. Thank you for providing your feedback! Not many reviews out there (outside of this site) on women's shorts and Assos in particular.
    ...I also ride in a rather 'aggressive' set-up, nearly parallel with the road! but is very comfortable for me - everyone is different
    --*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
    Commuter: 2008 Jamis Coda Sport
    Love: 2010 Cervelo R3

    I just wanna ride....

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    364
    If I can help you with any further information about this cycling short cervelogirl, just ask.

    I understand that you may have different needs if you use a very aggressive setup on your bike.
    I myself will look for a more minimal cycling short the next time - but I am mountainbiking, so my position on the bike is quite relaxed.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    lost in my own thoughts
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by audreytatou View Post
    does the fabric that wicks water away from your skin really make a difference??
    Yes!

    I went on a ride in 100 degree heat last year and went over 30 miles. Let me tell you this, if I wasn't wearing moisture wicking fabric it would have been heck on the "girly bits". Hallelujah for moisture wick!

    I digress.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelogirl View Post
    I find the in most cycling shorts the padding in the front doesn't come up far enough and there's too much in the back.
    Have you tried Pearl Izumi? I have this exact issue and they are the only brand that has really worked for me. I had several different brands of shorts where the widest part of the chamois fell behind my sit bones and my sit bones ended up on the seams in front of the butt part of the chamois. The only other brand that fit me OK was Gore, but the padding was not dense/thick enough under my sit bones.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Have you tried Pearl Izumi? I have this exact issue and they are the only brand that has really worked for me. I had several different brands of shorts where the widest part of the chamois fell behind my sit bones and my sit bones ended up on the seams in front of the butt part of the chamois. The only other brand that fit me OK was Gore, but the padding was not dense/thick enough under my sit bones.

    Personally, the PI 3D Elite chamois works well for me, though they are a trifle thick - but do very well for long rides for me. So far I've yet to find another that does. Am currently trying Terry Liberty shorts for short rides, but for some reason it almost feels like I slide around the saddle more than I should with them I would not use them for a long ride, but outside of the sliding thing they seem fine for short rides.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Personally, the PI 3D Elite chamois works well for me, though they are a trifle thick - but do very well for long rides for me.
    Yep. I tried a pair with the PRO chamois, but didn't really like it...partly because the shorts gave me the worst. sausage legs. ever.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    133
    First, let me say I'm loving this forum! I'm getting all kinds of information, and being new to long distance cycling, it's helpful. It seems like any other hobby. You can spend a small fortune on it, or a large fortune. Just pick.

    Today I did my first ride (20 miles) wearing shorts with the chamois (how do you pronounce that, btw?) I bought a pair of Novaro shorts at REI that were $40, which seems like about the least you can pay. Aside from making my backside appear to one again be the two sizes that I've lost over the last year, they seemed okay functionally. I didn't have too strong a feeling one way or the other, but they do have a great deal of padding. I can see how that would be hot on a really warm day.

    I also purchased a skort with a chamois. What is the feeling on that? It certainly covers up the odd shape the chamois gives. Coming from a running background, I've always preferred running skirts to shorts, but haven't tried riding with the extra fabric. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen12 View Post
    First, let me say I'm loving this forum! I'm getting all kinds of information, and being new to long distance cycling, it's helpful. It seems like any other hobby. You can spend a small fortune on it, or a large fortune. Just pick.

    Today I did my first ride (20 miles) wearing shorts with the chamois (how do you pronounce that, btw?) I bought a pair of Novaro shorts at REI that were $40, which seems like about the least you can pay. Aside from making my backside appear to one again be the two sizes that I've lost over the last year, they seemed okay functionally. I didn't have too strong a feeling one way or the other, but they do have a great deal of padding. I can see how that would be hot on a really warm day.

    I also purchased a skort with a chamois. What is the feeling on that? It certainly covers up the odd shape the chamois gives. Coming from a running background, I've always preferred running skirts to shorts, but haven't tried riding with the extra fabric. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

    When it comes to bike shorts, it really is best to purchase the most expensive pair that you can afford and they should be tight. It does matter where bike shorts are concerned - if they are loose then they will chafe just where you don't want them to There are so many different types of chamois out there, some look like a diaper, some are almost non-existent - but what really depends is what our butts think of them.

    Personally I will never ride without bike shorts or a liner with a chamois - but that is me. Some chamois are better for short rides, some are best for long endurance rides, and some aren't worth purchasing - but it is for your butt to decide which is which - this is a quite subjective process.

    I've never ridden in a skort, but I do know there are some TE women who really like them - there is only one way to see what you think of them and that is to give them a shot

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,394
    If the chamois feels like diaper while you are on the bike, then the shorts aren't right for you. They shouldn't make your butt look 2 sizes bigger. This is a very individual thing.
    I have a couple of cycling skorts, but I generally wear them for rides < 20 miles, errands, lunches, etc. There are a couple of styles; I have found the wrap ones fly up in the front, so the shorts part shows, which is a little weird, because the shorts part look like cycling shorts, but are not as compressive, usually. So, I always feel like my underwear is showing, although it's really shorts showing. I like the ones with the side slits more.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •