Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Removing a Fork

Removing a Fork

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need to remove a mountain bike fork to sell, how do I do it? I can take it to the shop but would like to do it myself. Is it possible to remove a shock as well or do I need to let the pro's do it?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

It's actually pretty simple. You need to remove the stem. Also, loosen the headset. There should be a nut on the top cap. Just loosen that until it comes out.

You have to remove the stem also and take off any spacers. Be careful not to lose any of the bearings if they are the loose kind (in the headset) and if you plan to replace the fork...make sure you remember exactly how the headset goes together. ..... I didn't do this once and put my bearing cups in upside down
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

What Trek-chick said. Take the brake caliper off too.

You may have to take the fork (once its off the bike) to the shop if you need to remove the crown race for the headset.

I've removed my shock as well before. I just removed the two bolts that anchor it to the frame and bagged everything. I ended up tying the front triangle and rear triangle of the bike together with a piece of rope, since the shock was no longer there to hold them together. I have no idea if this is necessary or not, but it gave me some peace of mind. You might want to check the owner's manual for the frame and see if there are any special cautions or instructions.

Thanks ladies! This is my totaled GF frame, for some reason the insurance turned it over to me. I guess with the amount of damage it was too small salvageable parts to worry about. The shop measured the drop outs and the fork is in great shape. Most of the other parts of the drivetrain were destoryed, along with the frame but these two were worth saving. Some others might show up here or there as freebies. Still trying to get creative with the frame parts, I love the bike. Might get a welder friend to make little plant stands from my triangle and the one my husband dented badly from his Stumpy.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Have you heard if they're going to replace your bike? Crossing my fingers for you!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

They are! I am so lucky the insurance company was amazingly easy to work with. I got the job inspections from the LBS, the receipt from my Fisher and the shop printed a quote for a comparable replacement (although not what I think I will get). Insurance settled in two days. They felt the bike was too damaged to recover so I have it, which my LBS was shocked about. I am going to donate some of the parts that are still okay to a local non-profit that fixes up old bikes. Hoping it will bring me good bike karma.
    Amanda