Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Wheels

Wheels

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Gary Fisher was totaled in a car wreck and unfortunately needs to be replaced. I am trying to get a Specialized Epic Comp to demo, my shop can give me a really nice deal on it. My biggest issue is that it is heavy, but I don't want to go carbon. My teammate got the same bike and switched the wheels for a significant weight saving. I have no real idea where to start. My teammate built some Stan's which I have heard are great wheels. What about Hubs? Thinking I deserve to go spendy with Kings or Hopes. All suggestions welcome, until the insurance is settled I don't have a budget. So I will weed that out later!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I built a set of wheels around XTR hubs and I've been happy with them. White Industries and Hope were also in the running. I like that the XTRs aren't as loud as Hopes or Kings.

Are you running tubeless or planning to? That would influence your rim choice...

100% on tubeless. With sharp rocks, cacti, rock gardens it is not an option to go without. One course I race I flatted every time I rode on tubes. My teammate built up Stan's ZTR with Hope hubs, shaved a lot of weight and Stan's is reputed as bomb proof. I am short but heavier on industry standards at 160. I will likely be going 29er depending on how it feels on the trail.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I don't have any first-hand experience with Stan's rims, but several of my riding buddies like them.

I looked into building a set of 29er wheels on a Stan's Arch rim, but them stumbled across a closeout on Shimano XT tubeless (UST) wheels for less than I could build my own. They've been surprisingly good, and the UST rim makes tubeless set up super-easy, even with non-UST tires.

As for short people on 29ers, I'm pretty sure that I'm about your height, and I adore my big-wheeled monster

Talked to the shop and they said all the high end hubs are about the same. I think I may go with I9 (my wrench is racing them) because I can get purple ones. Still leaning towards the Stan's Crest rims in white. Is there any difference in spokes?
    Amanda

I went XTR because a) I like the noise level (or lack thereof), and b) I know how to work on a Shimano hub and have all of the tools. The fact that I got a killer deal on the XTRs helped too....otherwise, the White Industries were at the top of the list because they used a Ti freehub body and I like their service procedures. I believe that some of the high-end hubs (King, maybe?) require proprietary tools.

I build with DT Competitions (14/15 double-butted). Not too expensive, easy to work with, and available everywhere. You could do Super Comps or Revolutions (or comparable) to save some weight if you wanted. But that's a conversation for a real wheelbuilder, not some home shop hack like me.

I prefer to use brass nipples rather than alloy, despite the very slight weight penalty. There is nothing that makes me crazier than having to true a wheel with alloy nipples that have seized and having them round off. Brass nipples are more durable, are less likely to seize or crack, and only weigh ~20 grams per wheel more.

Have fun spec'ing your new wheelset!

I ended up going with I9 full customs. The guys at the shop said if you are using their hubs you should have them build them for the way they lace them. So Stan's Crest in black (they said the white chips), alternating purple and black spokes, purple hubs. It is saving me around 300 grams. I was worried about the Crests being light but the reviews I have found said they aren't. My wrench is a very aggressive rider and his 355 (what Crest replaced) are holding up great. I can't wait to get them in, only 4-6 weeks which will hopefully go fast!
    Amanda

They are here!!! Ended up being nearly 8 weeks but what the hell, I knew Industry Nine wasn't known for being fast or even on time. They are so incredibly beautiful they are downright sexy. I will do "glamour shots" of the completed bike now and post an update after her maiden voyage on the new shoes tonight.
    Amanda